• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do people find the blucher’s and boots fit the same in the same size, or are the boots more accommodating? Sometimes boots are to account for thicker socks.
The boots and bluchers are on the same last, and for me size/feel identical other than the boots offer ankle support/stability shoes can't. The oxfords have the dimension of the v-gap for the closure, and for me and my high-ish-volume foot I have to go with by Brannock 12D vs. the normally-recommended 11.5D to get good closure. Both feel good though.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The boots and bluchers are on the same last, and for me size/feel identical other than the boots offer ankle support/stability shoes can't. The oxfords have the dimension of the v-gap for the closure, and for me and my high-ish-volume foot I have to go with by Brannock 12D vs. the normally-recommended 11.5D to get good closure. Both feel good though.
And on my feet, same size as boots gives good V-gap closure on the Oxfords. Agree that both (all) feel good.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, everyone, I am debating between the natural CXL PTB (GS calls it something other than natural... the lighter CXL PTB) and the saddle tanned Diesel boot. Both styles are available in my width of EEE. I have a pair of brown shell cordovan PTB's already, but no CXL. As for boots, I have four pairs of Alden Indys in different leathers, as well as AE Higgins Mills in brown CXL, natural CXL, and brown shell cordovan. I don't have any boots in saddle tan. Well, I do have a pair of AE Eagle Counties, but I don't wear them often and they don't look anything like the Diesels / Indys / HMs. So which of the two GS options -- natural CXL PTB's or saddle tan Diesel boots -- would you choose if you were in my shoes (LOL)? There are no wrong answers, just state your personal preference.
In reviewing the thread, I'm surprised someone (myself included) didn't give the standard Style Forum response to your decision between 2 pair. That response, which is VERY prevalent on the AE thread is: You should get them both!
Have a great evening :)

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
OK, everyone, I am debating between the natural CXL PTB (GS calls it something other than natural... the lighter CXL PTB) and the saddle tanned Diesel boot. Both styles are available in my width of EEE. I have a pair of brown shell cordovan PTB's already, but no CXL. As for boots, I have four pairs of Alden Indys in different leathers, as well as AE Higgins Mills in brown CXL, natural CXL, and brown shell cordovan. I don't have any boots in saddle tan. Well, I do have a pair of AE Eagle Counties, but I don't wear them often and they don't look anything like the Diesels / Indys / HMs. So which of the two GS options -- natural CXL PTB's or saddle tan Diesel boots -- would you choose if you were in my shoes (LOL)? There are no wrong answers, just state your personal preference.

Welcome Joe! If you don't mind, I'll throw in my 2 cents. The saddle tan diesel and blucher with leather sole have a very rich look and feel after they have some wear. It's just a result of the vegetable tannage the Badalassi tannery does. My dad who has been around GYW shoes all his life is claiming the saddle tan diesel and blucher are now his all time favorite, mainly because of the upper and leather sole combination and how it wears.

In my most recent trip to Tokyo I found a portfolio in this article but with a grain and it ages just like the saddle tan. Not to mention, the smell of this leather is unbeatable! The turquoise card case is the same leather as well.

DSC_1070.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome Joe! If you don't mind, I'll throw in my 2 cents. The saddle tan diesel and blucher with leather sole have a very rich look and feel after they have some wear. It's just a result of the vegetable tannage the Badalassi tannery does. My dad who has been around GYW shoes all his life is claiming the saddle tan diesel and blucher are now his all time favorite, mainly because of the upper and leather sole combination and how it wears.

In my most recent trip to Tokyo I found a portfolio in this article but with a grain and it ages just like the saddle tan. Not to mention, the smell of this leather is unbeatable! The turquoise card case is the same leather as well.

View attachment 1211899
First of all, your 2 cents are worth a lot more than any of ours :). That portfolio is simply beautiful, and I would love to have it, if I were still working and carrying papers on a daily basis.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
First of all, your 2 cents are worth a lot more than any of ours :). That portfolio is simply beautiful, and I would love to have it, if I were still working and carrying papers on a daily basis.

It can be your tablet case! (if you use one) We were in a new mall in Ginza and there was a pop up shop sitting on the corner. I had never seen so many great accessories in a range of veg tan leathers. They had quite a few display items sitting up front which had been handled before with crazy patina. None of us had heard of the brand before, dan genten.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It can be your tablet case! (if you use one) We were in a new mall in Ginza and there was a pop up shop sitting on the corner. I had never seen so many great accessories in a range of veg tan leathers. They had quite a few display items sitting up front which had been handled before with crazy patina. None of us had heard of the brand before, dan genten.
Yes, I have a tablet (iPad) and use an iMac. Was in IT and did Windows troubleshooting/training for years. Retired and went all Apple! Its so much easier and doesn't screw up like Windows.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still checking in this thread now and again...with the arrival of E and EEE, I might be able to play!
I'm sure it's back there somewhere, but can I please get some feedback on the loafer/Alexander fit beyond what is mentioned on the website? Ideally, if someone could compare them to an AE or Alden loafer! Those that know me know I'm in trouble with a high cone, so I'm hoping they're more like the Van last or 606.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still checking in this thread now and again...with the arrival of E and EEE, I might be able to play!
I'm sure it's back there somewhere, but can I please get some feedback on the loafer/Alexander fit beyond what is mentioned on the website? Ideally, if someone could compare them to an AE or Alden loafer! Those that know me know I'm in trouble with a high cone, so I'm hoping they're more like the Van last or 606.
I have both AE and Alden loafers, don't know the last of the AE, but Alden are Aberdeen. The GS fit more TTS on my feet than the Alden's, about the same in the heel, but the GS seem to have more toe room for me. Arch support seems similar to me, but I have "odd" feet, or so says my Podiatrist. All I can say is the GS in 1/2 down from my Brannock is darn near a perfect fit/feet, socks or not. But that's MY feet, everyone is different.

schweezly

Reaction score

GS loafer feels like a similar fit to the Van last to me. A little more room in the toebox, in my opinion, but the strap is similar in tightness and the heel feels similar in width.

If you search this thread for the loafer you’ll find some info from different people who have purchased. I prefer the GS fit to the fit of Van loafers like the LHS

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have both AE and Alden loafers, don't know the last of the AE, but Alden are Aberdeen. The GS fit more TTS on my feet than the Alden's, about the same in the heel, but the GS seem to have more toe room for me. Arch support seems similar to me, but I have "odd" feet, or so says my Podiatrist. All I can say is the GS in 1/2 down from my Brannock is darn near a perfect fit/feet, socks or not. But that's MY feet, everyone is different.
GS loafer feels like a similar fit to the Van last to me. A little more room in the toebox, in my opinion, but the strap is similar in tightness and the heel feels similar in width.

If you search this thread for the loafer you’ll find some info from different people who have purchased. I prefer the GS fit to the fit of Van loafers like the LHS
Thanks guys. The van info is especially useful. I'll go ahead and read more fit info. I'm 11EE in Van, but this sounds like I could probably work with the pair of 11.5E I've got an eye on...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads