• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Feels like Friday, so I dressed like it
ZRukLH6.jpg

I love these socks
UI4Nhwu.jpg

I'm impressed that you are actually wearing the pennys! Didn't think this was going to happen.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used the deer bone with neutral venetian on my dune traveler yesterday afternoon.
View attachment 1205353
Looking good! What would you recommend if VSC and deerbones are not available? I have Bick4, Saphir Renovateur, Neutral shoe cream. I have only applied some bick4 on mine.

also, can I use Nano spray to water proof them? I know Nano was not recommended on Alden shells (or is it?).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking good! What would you recommend if VSC and deerbones are not available? I have Bick4, Saphir Renovateur, Neutral shoe cream. I have only applied some bick4 on mine.

also, can I use Nano spray to water proof them? I know Nano was not recommended on Alden shells (or is it?).
Nano on CXL was discussed once on the AE or Alden thread and the general consensus was that Nano should not be applied to CXL or Shell, I honestly don't remember the reason, but believe it had something to do with the leather breathing and nano spray could block this. I wouldn't use it until Wyatt or Josh chime in just in case. I have just used VSC on mine.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Saphir Renovateur will work well on cxl too. We use the deer bone because cxl bruises pretty easily so it can take out a lot of the scuffs or discoloration on the toe/heel when pressure is applied with a conditioner. If you don't have a deer bone, a spoon works as well.

I don't have any experience with nano spray but I personally don't use any waterproof products on aniline leathers, whether cxl or shell. Both of these articles are very transparent, CXL having a heavy pull-up effect so using any type of sealant on the surface seems counterintuitive. Some have a hard time with water spots on shell but it's usually not an issue if you have a decent conditioner, brush and shoe trees.

This is a photo of my old dune bluchers that I used to wear most of the time in the factory, especially if it was raining or something because it wasn't being used for a photo sample. There were many days where the entire vamp was soaked since I had to walk through the rain at some point when going to work. The water never really darkened them that much or had an adverse effect, although I did tree them most days and used a conditioner often. After some months, they started to look really great, almost like a caramelized effect on the toe from all of the wear with a sheen on the top. The depth of this article makes it pretty special.

2016-12-01 10.19.41 copy 2.jpg

Last edited:

ReubenR

Reaction score
I meant the crepe sole, think the dark olive CXL color is pretty well loved, though ideally I’d want like a British racing green/a truer green than olive.

Know that suggesting a crepe sole would be a hot-take, just is the comfiest sole I’ve ever worn, over all the usual leather and rubber options. I have a pair of camp moccasins with crepe soles that I swear by. They wear a little faster than other soles, but so worth it. When I have to go to work early, and am dragging, it’s one of those little comforts that makes me happy.

Owned rancourt’s version with crepe for a hot minute, but didn’t love the beef roll style or last shape.
British Racing Green???? Graham Hill or Jim Clark type of British racing green? I would respectfully suggest trying a pair of the GS Bluchers on the crepe sole, great summer shoe. I know, I have a pair and they get more wear than any other of my GS shoes, and I'm a boot guy so that's saying something.

I've definitely mistaken the navy loafer for an olive one in a few instagram shots, and I think a deep green pair would be pretty killer. I was really tempted to order a pair of green shell patriots during that Allen Edmonds MTO event, and Meermin's offering an unlined green calfskin pair that's pretty tempting.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've definitely mistaken the navy loafer for an olive one in a few instagram shots, and I think a deep green pair would be pretty killer. I was really tempted to order a pair of green shell patriots during that Allen Edmonds MTO event, and Meermin's offering an unlined green calfskin pair that's pretty tempting.
Green is a unique color and not everyone can pull it off. Have a pair of green Alden suede boots that are just killer, wife laughed when I got them, but now likes them when I wear them. Would LOVE a green pair of GS something.

Plumluck

Reaction score
Green is a unique color and not everyone can pull it off. Have a pair of green Alden suede boots that are just killer, wife laughed when I got them, but now likes them when I wear them. Would LOVE a green pair of GS something.

I get that feeling, but guys in general are skeptical/hesitant about color. Dark green is (in my opinion) more versatile than navy and on par with burgundy - more foolproof with jeans than navy.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I get that feeling, but guys in general are skeptical/hesitant about color. Dark green is (in my opinion) more versatile than navy and on par with burgundy - more foolproof with jeans than navy.
And I like Navy, but with jeans it is kind of monochromatic, works better with Chinos or lighter color pants. Agree that green works with a lot of colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads