• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the rubber sole on some of my Diesel/Ottawa boots. I'm a huge fan of the ver 1.0 (leather sole) but the GS rubber is better than Dainite that is found on some other companies boots. For reference, Bourbon Suede Diesel boots for afternoon. Try as I might, there is no way to eliminate all the Golden Retriever hair :)
IMG_5358.jpeg
IMG_5359.jpeg

Orbis881

Reaction score
We sell the GS rubber sole and top lifts for $20 if you had a cobbler who can do some work for you. Would you ever use a topy?

Hello Josh, probably not as of yet, as I do have a few in my rotation; it's great to hear we have options just in case. Do you have plans for a commando sole in the future?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello Josh, probably not as of yet, as I do have a few in my rotation; it's great to hear we have options just in case. Do you have plans for a commando sole in the future?
Commando would be kind of cool, especially on an Ottawa. As far as rubber soles go, Commando is my favorite, GS rubber #2 and Dainite a distant 3rd. Maybe a Saddle Tan Ottawa with a commando sole...........

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I find that kind of toe and heel wear tends to wear quickly based on gait, and then slows down once it is worn to how you walk. A metal toe plate would obviously help, though they're pricey.

Yes, my gait seems to wear the leather sole toe areas more. I am thinking to just experimenting with some rubber or composite compound to see if it works.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Let us know if you ever want a pair, we can ship it to you.

We haven't developed any sort of rubber toe yet, something to think about. Thanks for sharing the photos though

Thanks, I would be interested. I was going to pm but may be your answer here helps others: Is it both the rubber sole and top lift for $20? Or for each?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a great color. I never considered the saddle tan because I didn't like how bright they looked new, but the aged color is perfect.
They keep getting "darker" or maybe it's more mellow? I have an unworn pair in "reserve" that are much brighter and more yellow in tone. I'm liking how these, and the Dune, are aging a lot.Plus they are really comfortable (and have the leather sole I prefer on shoes/boots)

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those cause me physical pangs of jealousy...

For braving Costco and running errands with my wife:
xDHMJgL.jpg

Green laces just in case people are going full St. Patty a day early...
Lol! I'm barely keeping up with you guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads