• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday.
AE Dalton in chocolate calf, GS British Tan calf LWB, Alden colour 8 shell cordovan LWB, Alden cigar shell cordovan LWB.
20190313_093236-1.jpg

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice showing gentlemen!

Traveling has kept me pretty slow here, but loving seeing the progress. Especially dig your Saddle Tan Diesels @audog!

Reactions: EZB

Orbis881

Reaction score
One of my favorite boots! (which is why there is a "spare" pair new in box on the top shelf of the closet)

Basing on pictures, the Saddle tan Diesel is probably my favorite, but unfortunately the leather sole might not be optimal for my use as it rains here constantly. I am on the fence, but I am seriously mulling it over, as it looks too good.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Basing on pictures, the Saddle tan Diesel is probably my favorite, but unfortunately the leather sole might not be optimal for my use as it rains here constantly. I am on the fence, but I am seriously mulling it over, as it looks too good.
For what it's worth, I have worn mine in rain, walked in puddles and they still are really good, these are damn good leather soles. I would not advise them in snow or ice, but rain seems to be a non issue for me, but then again it doesn't rain every day, and I have rubber sole boots to choose from if heavy or prolonged rain is in the forecast. But they are my favorite GS leather color.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've got a rotation, rain shouldn't be a problem for these leather soles. My OG Ottawas have been through plenty of wet weather and the soles are doing fine after ~500 miles or more.

Orbis881

Reaction score
If you've got a rotation, rain shouldn't be a problem for these leather soles. My OG Ottawas have been through plenty of wet weather and the soles are doing fine after ~500 miles or more.

I've read your long term review, thank you for sharing that with us.

I do, but it would have been the cherry on top for me if they had rubber soles due to the usual conditions here. With that said, I understand their decision to leave one Diesel with their original leather soles. They do look dressier, and I find them more aesthetically pleasing.

I would give in, I know it, and you gents probably know it too.

On that note, I used my Dune PTB the other day and I agree with you and @audog , their leather soles are remarkable. I compared it with a boot in my collection that also has a leather sole, and I doubt that one would last as long.

Josh Lange

Reaction score
I've read your long term review, thank you for sharing that with us.

I do, but it would have been the cherry on top for me if they had rubber soles due to the usual conditions here. With that said, I understand their decision to leave one Diesel with their original leather soles. They do look dressier, and I find them more aesthetically pleasing.

I would give in, I know it, and you gents probably know it too.

On that note, I used my Dune PTB the other day and I agree with you and @audog , their leather soles are remarkable. I compared it with a boot in my collection that also has a leather sole, and I doubt that one would last as long.

We sell the GS rubber sole and top lifts for $20 if you had a cobbler who can do some work for you. Would you ever use a topy?

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
We sell the GS rubber sole and top lifts for $20 if you had a cobbler who can do some work for you. Would you ever use a topy?

Hi Josh. I was wondering about this: wether GS sells the rubber sole or top lift. Seems like your rubber top lift is lasting very well. However the toe tip is wearing quickly for me (40 sears to the office) and I was thinking to topy.

Have GS considered integrating a rubber toe tip like Alden?

Josh Lange

Reaction score
Hi Josh. I was wondering about this: wether GS sells the rubber sole or top lift. Seems like your rubber top lift is lasting very well. However the toe tip is wearing quickly for me (40 sears to the office) and I was thinking to topy.

Let us know if you ever want a pair, we can ship it to you.

We haven't developed any sort of rubber toe yet, something to think about. Thanks for sharing the photos though

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Matt, the original owner of my suede Ottawas, had AH One install a lugged topy on the leather sole. It's pretty successful IMHO.
pGHjof2.jpg

sCfBM0L.jpg

This achieves a similar benefits of Alden's Commando sole - the flexibilty and comfort of a leather sole with the weather capability of a rubber lugged sole - without changing the geometry/stance of the shoe. I'm liking it a lot for function, comfort and aesthetic.

That said, I like Grant Stone's rubber sole enough that I probably wouldn't have gone to this expense myself, and the leather sole is pretty darn weather-capable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads