• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. It might be tough to make any shoe or boot look dressy using natural chromexcel.
After our first run of Dune Longwings, we darkened the welt stitch just a little from a white to an off-white just to help cut down on some of the contrast.
My first Indy was the last 403 that a boutique owner in Baltimore was trying get rid of. Though I didn’t care for the contrast in natural welt and dark brown chrmxl, he made me an offer I could not refuse. Long story short, that contrast grew on me. I love it for casual pairings.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sure dressier, but that was kind of my point. I think the chrmxl longwing is purely a casual makeup. I don’t think it has much versatility; I wouldn’t wear it with anything but chinos and jeans (no dress pants). The British tan can be dressed up and down. If you want casual I’d say absolutely go with the dune longwing, but if you want versatility I’d go British tan longwing. Just my opinion though...

I agree. It might be tough to make any shoe or boot look dressy using natural chromexcel.
After our first run of Dune Longwings, we darkened the welt stitch just a little from a white to an off-white just to help cut down on some of the contrast.
I think we all agree.

I have an Alden that is essentially the equivalent of the British Tan, and wear them with nicer trousers, chinos and jeans - great multi-purpose travel shoe. When I wear denim though, Dune is just fantastic, and I like it with most chinos too. They don't pair for me with any of my dressier stuff. Since I wear denim more these days, the Dune longwings get more run.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Happy new years SF! Today we are releasing the bourbon suede (similar to snuff) longwing. This is using CFSteads calf suede. We are calling this color Bourbon so there aren't any misunderstandings since there are multiple shades of snuff.
Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 10.09.21 AM.png

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy new years SF! Today we are releasing the bourbon suede (similar to snuff) longwing. This is using CFSteads calf suede. We are calling this color Bourbon so there aren't any misunderstandings since there are multiple shades of snuff.
View attachment 1098443

Those look really nice, how about that suede on a Diesel boot????????

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can attest to the versatility of the british tan longwing. My office is on the casual end of business casual so I do have quite a bit of leeway. I find they work great with jeans, chinos, and these olive cords. View attachment 1098687
That's a great pairing.

Josh Lange

Reaction score
I need sizing info please. I wear orthotics, but have a few versions to insert into shoes based on last. I have several Allen Edmonds shoes. In the 65 last, I wear a 10.5D with my thin orthotics. It works, but barely. The orthotics raise my foot up, but not enough to take it too high for heel slip to occur. The 42 last is a much better fit—also in 10.5D—with my sport orthotics. The higher come keeps my foot fat from slipping out. How would I fit into GS lasts?

What size in the AE 65 are you with then orthotics? How about in the GS boot? I wear the orthotic because I have no arches at all, and that pulls my ligaments and causes heel spurs. I know what you mean by not right. I have a 222-lasted AE shoe that has this issue. I can wear it for short times only and not walk long before it rips my heel apart from flopping in and out of the shoe. AE shoes with a high cone (42 and 201 lasts) work well.

I am normally a size 9 in pretty much everything, in the AE PA's I go to 9.5 and the orthotics work ok, with 9 they don't feel so good. In GS boots I have mostly 9's and orthotics work ok, I have found that if I go 8.5 in the GS boots, I don't need to wear the orthotics. My foot issue isn't arch related, I'm missing (due to an injury) one of the 3 ligaments that hold the ankle in proper alignment. Doctor said "it's just....gone" Surgery not an option as probably wouldn't work (he said) so orthotics put things in proper alignment. GS shoes I have are 9's and feel fine with or without orthotics, haven't tried 8.5 GS shoes. The Crimson Ottawa's were purchased at 9.5, partly because I didn't know best sizing and partially because they were on the B-stock page at a great price and I wanted Crimson Ottawa's. I'm afraid that I can't tell you what may work best for you as far as size goes, but as I said before. Call GS and get Wyatt or Josh to help with the fit, they are great to deal with on the phone. And actually do answer when one calls :)

It's always tough to fit through the internet, every foot shape is different but with that said, I can assure you our Leo last will fit a little larger than the AE 65 last. If you were looking for a little more room than what your AE 65 last gives you, our GS 10.5D might allow your foot to settle in while wearing the orthotic. If you were interested in trying our footwear without the orthotic, I would suggest the 10D.
Randy, Wyatt's father, engineered our Oliver and Leo last with some of his background in orthopedic footwear/fitting. We hope to create supportive footwear that can handle a full day of wear while maintaining comfort. You might find our toe box a little more bulbous than your AE 65 or 222, but we would rather your footwear not pinch or start to feel tight if worn for a full day. Our feet naturally swell and fluctuate throughout the day, some more than others. I hope this helps a little bit... Let me know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads