• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

707Matt

Reaction score
I get the positive sentiment in your posts. Please - Don’t stop. But, the above is just focusing on 2 or 3 recent posts.

I am an intense lurker here. And I’d say 90+% of the posts are commenting about what people LIKE vs. what they dislike.
Right on! I will definitely continue to be me!

colton2e

Reaction score
I get the positive sentiment in your posts. Please - Don’t stop. But, the above is just focusing on 2 or 3 recent posts.

I am an intense lurker here. And I’d say 90+% of the posts are commenting about what people LIKE vs. what they dislike.
What’s wrong with commenting about things you dislike? You two must be very young. Internet forums didn’t used to be safe spaces for brands to promote their products and be totally free from criticism.

There are many things to love about Grant Stone but that doesn’t mean you have to love everything they do. Who knows, maybe they read this, decide to make a soft toe diesel boot and it’s a big hit!(or not) It’s all just information. It’s not like I’m making a personal attack on the people working at Grant Stone.

Limboroom

Reaction score
What’s wrong with commenting about things you dislike? You two must be very young. Internet forums didn’t used to be safe spaces for brands to promote their products and be totally free from criticism.

There are many things to love about Grant Stone but that doesn’t mean you have to love everything they do. Who knows, maybe they read this, decide to make a soft toe diesel boot and it’s a big hit!(or not) It’s all just information. It’s not like I’m making a personal attack on the people working at Grant Stone.
Umm, reread my post. I didn‘t say ANYTHING was “wrong with commenting about things you dislike”.

And wrong on my age as well.

707Matt

Reaction score

All I saw from you were complaints. Instead of taking time and space to point out what you don't like, it would be better to speak upon what you do like and what you would like to be different. That is info. If you don't like the boot then just move on to the next. It obviously isn't for you.

colton2e

Reaction score
All I saw from you were complaints. Instead of taking time and space to point out what you don't like, it would be better to speak upon what you do like and what you would like to be different. That is info. If you don't like the boot then just move on to the next. It obviously isn't for you.
I post about both what I like and what I don’t like. I like GS’s value. I love their quality control. I love the construction and materials(minus the celastic toe puffs). I love the styles and leather options. I love their width offerings(though they really should make a B/C). I don’t like the rubber soles and wish more had leather soles options. I don’t like wedge soles.

I do not understand why you seem so upset by the fact that 2 posters don’t like the look of wedge soles and had the audacity to make that known…

lfzhao5

Reaction score
What's the consensus in Alexander last vs Leo/floyd? In a perfect world i would be 9.5D in Leo in length, but 10D Leo in mid section volume. I tried 9E it was way too much heel volume, too wide so lots of heel slip even after taking long time to break it in.

I started wearing 10D Leo/Floyd, i find the fit to be really good across everywhere, except the length is smudge longer.
How would I size for Alexander? Grant stone team recommended 9.5E, i would go with that, just worried about heel volume. Anyone have similar heel fitting issue?

colton2e

Reaction score
What's the consensus in Alexander last vs Leo/floyd? In a perfect world i would be 9.5D in Leo in length, but 10D Leo in mid section volume. I tried 9E it was way too much heel volume, too wide so lots of heel slip even after taking long time to break it in.

I started wearing 10D Leo/Floyd, i find the fit to be really good across everywhere, except the length is smudge longer.
How would I size for Alexander? Grant stone team recommended 9.5E, i would go with that, just worried about heel volume. Anyone have similar heel fitting issue?
Just so you know, the heel slip might have been from bad alignment rather than excess volume. If the flex point of your feet and the shoe aren’t lined up then it will resist your stride and your heel will slip more. If the 10 D works but 9E didn’t that’s probably why. As for the length, that’s just how the last is designed. 2/3rds inch of space is a fairly standard allowance ahead of your toe for a medium round toe last like Leo. And that’s just inside the shoe. When you add in the upper leather thickness, the liner, the toe puff, and the welt you’ll probably have an inch or more from the end of your toes to the end of the shoe.

As for Alexander I would say 10 D if that’s working for you in Leo but the GS team says most people can’t really tell the difference between a 10D and 9.5 E since the measurements are all so close. Main difference will be the ball alignment is 1/6th of an inch shorter.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
Just so you know, the heel slip might have been from bad alignment rather than excess volume. If the flex point of your feet and the shoe aren’t lined up then it will resist your stride and your heel will slip more. If the 10 D works but 9E didn’t that’s probably why. As for the length, that’s just how the last is designed. 2/3rds inch of space is a fairly standard allowance ahead of your toe for a medium round toe last like Leo. And that’s just inside the shoe. When you add in the upper leather thickness, the liner, the toe puff, and the welt you’ll probably have an inch or more from the end of your toes to the end of the shoe.

As for Alexander I would say 10 D if that’s working for you in Leo but the GS team says most people can’t really tell the difference between a 10D and 9.5 E since the measurements are all so close. Main difference will be the ball alignment is 1/6th of an inch shorter.

Ok thanks for the advice, maybe i'll try a 10D then.

woodenbits

Reaction score
Well, for me, I find that Leo 12D and 11.5E look exactly the same side by side, but when I wear them, I strongly prefer 12D. 11.5E on my foot is lose in a midfoot and pinky is still pinched because taper starts a bit too soon. And if I could get 12.5C I would (that would be very, very close to TTS for me).

I got my Alexander in the same size as Leo (12D) and I like it a lot - slightly wider toe-box, slightly tighter heel, about same in mid-foot I think.

707Matt

Reaction score
I post about both what I like and what I don’t like. I like GS’s value. I love their quality control. I love the construction and materials(minus the celastic toe puffs). I love the styles and leather options. I love their width offerings(though they really should make a B/C). I don’t like the rubber soles and wish more had leather soles options. I don’t like wedge soles.

I do not understand why you seem so upset by the fact that 2 posters don’t like the look of wedge soles and had the audacity to make that known…
So upset? Just asking a question buddy.

Limboroom

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice, maybe i'll try a 10D then.
My 2¢. IMO, it also depends on your use case. I have a penny storm suede in 10D (1/2 down from my Brannock). When I wear socks (only use cushioned darn toughs), it‘s perfect fit. Unfortunately, I really wanted to use these sockless or w/no shows. Like that, the shoe is a bit sloppy, especially heel slip. I measured on a Brannock and I do get close to 1/2 size up with socks. So, as you can see, I really didn’t think it all through, lol. It’s not horrible. I’ll just see how it goes this summer, hopefully things improve as the sole loosens up. If not, I’ll probably try to size down a half for my next summertime loafer (Dune CXL).

Now that I think about it, sure if the above helps out much at all, but it’s all I got, lol.

707Matt

Reaction score

Very good info here. The ball alignment is what made me go an extra half size lower and up in width. Floyd last. Are the Leo and Floyd lasts very similar? Thanks in advance.

707Matt

Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo of their footprint inside the Floyd Last? I've only been wearing for three days, but I see where my foot is at now. I think they are beginning to break in and they feel like a great fit. Just wondering if other folks are similar?

Attachments

• 20230605_181239.jpg
    20230605_181239.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 77

colton2e

Reaction score
Very good info here. The ball alignment is what made me go an extra half size lower and up in width. Floyd last. Are the Leo and Floyd lasts very similar? Thanks in advance.
The main difference is higher walls at the toe box and a bit of extra width there as well. GS advises most people to take the same size in both but I’ve seen quite a few go half down in Floyd. That could also be due to the difference in pattern. Brass boots might have a wider throat which lets people with high insteps fit into a smaller size but that’s just speculation on my part.

I would start by taking the same size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads