• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find CXL, Dublin and similar leathers very pliable compared to Calf or Kudu. I stretch most of many of my shoes and those stretch the easiest.

IMG_6876.jpg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan Essex definitely much softer between the two. Although I only have the Saddle Tan Minerva, it may be more or less the same. Minerva stayed firm even a year later, became comfortable in its own way. I have not worn my tan essex as much but it felt mushy and softer than some chromexel for a first impression.

Snap of saddle tan after some cleaning a while back:

View attachment 1887541

Thanks and also thanks @SlowOldRunner.

The nice thing about GS is they have several options, but it's also the hard part in determining which leathers are most appropriate without trying them. I've been considering the minerva, tan essex and the dune cxl. I already have a natural cxl boot from Alden, so I imagine the dune leather would be very similar in feel. The other two leathers I have yet to try.

Also, I saw someone on Instagram has a pair of olive minerva boots. I don't know how or when he acquired them, but they look awesome. I hope GS considers bringing back that leather.

basu13

Reaction score
Tan Essex definitely much softer between the two. Although I only have the Saddle Tan Minerva, it may be more or less the same. Minerva stayed firm even a year later, became comfortable in its own way. I have not worn my tan essex as much but it felt mushy and softer than some chromexel for a first impression.

Snap of saddle tan after some cleaning a while back:

View attachment 1887541
These look good. What product are you using for cleaning/conditioning the Badalassi leather - VSC?

Austineoe

Reaction score
I’m in search of Grant Stone’s coffee tassel suede loafer in size 10 E or the Longwing suede in size 10E to purchase.

Thanks in advance for any lead provided.

Aran

Reaction score
These look good. What product are you using for cleaning/conditioning the Badalassi leather - VSC?
I used Venetian leather balm for this. I don't know if it's any different to their cream variant though.

PeterTietbohl

Reaction score
594C3F80-DE33-4150-AA66-BAD9883F62AA.jpeg

No experience with the Minerva leather, but am a few weeks into owning the Essex, and it is thick and soft, but has taken about 15 miles to take some of the stiffness out of the leather. On a side note the color they look in this photo really isnt accurate. I would describe the as more of a salmon pinkish tan. They are quite bright currently, which makes me excited to see how they will darken and change. The color of the jungle kangaroos in this photo is accurate, when in warm sunlight they get a reddish brown.

woodenbits

Reaction score
Finally, found good light today. Saddle tan Badalassi GS Brass boots in their natural habitat

20230204_164449.jpg

I am surprised how much traction wedge soles provide on most surfaces. While maybe I would not recommend them for hardcore hiking in deep snow when it is really cold (yesterday it was 13F here and my pinkies froze after about 40 min outside), but for a leisurely stroll in a park when it is about 30F, they were perfect.

woodenbits

Reaction score
Another day, another pair of boots, another chance of good light. Natural Roo GS Ottawa boots in their corresponding natural habitat (coffee shop).

I wish their real color was like in this photo, but in reality it is much lighter and washed out, here sunset light combined with natural tendency of Samsung phones to warm up and over-saturate color resulted in deep shade of apricot... I hope that with more wear this leather may actually start to look like in this photo.

In retrospect, pairing with darker wash Levis jeans was probably not the brightest of the ideas - too much contrast and clashing colors. Next time it will be either medium-light wash or wheat colored jeans.

Ah, and rumors about small stones getting stuck in each and every crevice of commando soles were no exaggeration - especially on the heel. Never seen anything like this - literally dozen of small pebbles stuck in the soles after single wear. Starting to consider putting a flat blade screwdriver next to my 'dry brush'.

20230205_150741.jpg

Commisar

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Got my 9 D and 9.5 D LWBs in British tan in the mail today. Please see the following album for sizing suggestions. 9 D crunches my right pinky toe, 9.5 D feels fine.

9.5 D Brannock, 9.5 D in all Allen Edmonds shoes and boots, 9 D Barrie, 8.5 D red wing No 8 last, 10 D Asics and New balance sneakers. 9.5 D in cowboy boots.

Should I grin and bear it on a 9 D or go with a .5 size up and maybe have to put in a thin insert?

Or should I try a 9 E and see what happens?

Note this sizing should also be consistent for the Diesel boot that I want as well.

Thanks

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Got my 9 D and 9.5 D LWBs in British tan in the mail today. Please see the following album for sizing suggestions. 9 D crunches my right pinky toe, 9.5 D feels fine.

9.5 D Brannock, 9.5 D in all Allen Edmonds shoes and boots, 9 D Barrie, 8.5 D red wing No 8 last, 10 D Asics and New balance sneakers. 9.5 D in cowboy boots.

Should I grin and bear it on a 9 D or go with a .5 size up and maybe have to put in a thin insert?

Note this sizing should also be consistent for the Diesel boot that I want as well.

Thanks

Just my 2 cents....

By looking at the lacing gap, the larger size seems to fit you fine. Do you find the 9.5D's to have too much vertical volume? If so, this can be remedied by a thin insole. A tongue pad isn't necessary by the looks of it.

As for the 9D's, if your pinkie toes fall behind the stiffened toe counter then the leather should give there over time. If your pinkie toe is hitting the toe stiffener though, that spot will not loosen up noticeably.

Also, I suspect a 9E would work at least as well as the 9.5D for you but I think will have slightly more volume.

whipcord

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Thanks

I'd send back the 9D, then try on a 9E while keeping the 9.5D on hand to choose between the two. It's something I should have done at the very beginning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads