• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jclonin7

Reaction score
Quick question about the GS Traveler soles. How well do they hold up? I typically add at least toe taps to my leather soled shoes as I wear the toes a little faster. If I have oak bark tanned soles I let it ride as is, but if I know it won’t last long (i.e. Allen Edmonds) I throw on a thin vibram half sole. Any thoughts on how long the butyl leather soles last?

SlowOldRunner

Reaction score
I received my first GS order a few weeks ago, Diesel in Ostrich. It was beautiful but as much as I love western boots in ostrich the Diesel in ostrich just didn't do it for me. However, I was able to dial in my sizing. Fast forward to yesterday. I received the Brass Boot in Tan Essex with lug soles in the same size as the diesel but the toe seemed a little roomier and the Essex is so soft. This is a substantial boot and I can't wait for the first outing! Pictures to follow at some point. Thank you GS!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4 or 5 yr old Crimson Diesel boots for a Sunday
IMG_3271.JPG

Moostyle

Reaction score
Has anyone who is a D who finds the width good, but the length a bit too long, tried on a half size lower in an E and did it fit well?

basu13

Reaction score
Has anyone who is a D who finds the width good, but the length a bit too long, tried on a half size lower in an E and did it fit well?
I can alternate between an 8.5D and an 8E on the Leo last quite comfortably. the difference in the sizes is quite negligible.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can alternate between an 8.5D and an 8E on the Leo last quite comfortably. the difference in the sizes is quite negligible.

I can personally say that 8EEE Leo feels good to me, but 8.5E was unbearably tight on my instep. It probably has a lot to do with how much volume you're packing.

SlowOldRunner

Reaction score
Here's my new arrival! I am very satisfied with the quality and attention to detail with the GS products. I look forward to putting these through their paces. As for the fit, I probably could have gone down a full size from brannock in the Floyd last but these still work. Thanks GS for a beautiful product!
y4Ol9C3l.jpg

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

I do better with an 8.5E than the 9D. My left pinkie toe can definitely feel the difference. Might be related to where my toes are placed - my HTB measurement is a full size larger than my heel-to-toe size.

Moostyle

Reaction score
I do better with an 8.5E than the 9D. My left pinkie toe can definitely feel the difference. Might be related to where my toes are placed - my HTB measurement is a full size larger than my heel-to-toe size.
Thanks for the feedback. My Edwards/Diesels in 11D are half a size too long and a bit wide in the heel area (I keep getting heel slip), but a good width in the toe area, so I want to see if I can keep the width but cut down on the length and heel a little.

I would love to try a 10.5E and a 10EEE to see how they compare but Grant Stones shipping charges are absolutely extortionate at $80 for two pairs.

doinitok

Reaction score
I would love to try a 10.5E and a 10EEE to see how they compare but Grant Stones shipping charges are absolutely extortionate at $80 for two pairs.
You must be outside of the continental US. It's free here.

doinitok

Reaction score
I know it will be negligible, but would the heel width be slightly wider/narrower in a 9E vs a 9.5D??

Ben B

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. My Edwards/Diesels in 11D are half a size too long and a bit wide in the heel area (I keep getting heel slip), but a good width in the toe area, so I want to see if I can keep the width but cut down on the length and heel a little.

Really? $80 for careful shipping to outside the US you consider extortion?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just spent $75 to ship a pair of boots overseas via USPS. $80+ is totally normal. UPS retail rates were $300+ for the same package if I remember correctly, though companies will get discounts off of that price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads