• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
UNLACQUERED (RAW) BRASS grommets and hooks...

I wanted to float an idea and see what you all think! -- especially Wyatt...
Unlacquered brass has had a resurgence in interior design (especially the kitchen) for the last 8 years or so. And to those who love raw denim and patina on their cordovan boots, it's easily understandable why. The grommets and hooks are often an afterthought for many of us, but I thought it would pretty cool for GS to release a boot that had unlacquered brass grommets and hooks so that we can watch the patina develop along with the patina of the leather.

Now there are a couple counter-arguments...

Won't they green? People say raw brass sometimes greens with age. I've never seen this. I have had unlacquered brass fixtures in my home for years and they have patinated noticeably -- but never green. And if they did green a little, so what? The great thing about raw brass is that you can always polish them to get them shiny again if that's your aesthetic. But with the right metalogical composition, they shouldn't green.

What about rust? Raw brass tarnishes, it doesn't rust. It won't develop rough/sharp edges. The reason for the tarnish is that brass is an alloy or copper and zinc, which will naturally tarnish when exposed to oxygen.

It's such a small detail; who cares? If this is your thought, get thee to a nunnery!!!.... but seriously, we ***** and moan over one crooked stitch so I don't think this argument holds any weight here...

I think raw brass would be most naturally paired with a natty CXL or maybe even the first natural Cordovan release from GS... ;-)

I love the idea of watching the leather age along with its hardware. What a happy, ever-evolving union that would be....

What say ye???? I'd love to hear what other people think.

@GrantStone

I like the question! It may not be a problem on most pairs, but because shoes/boots are subject to a lot of moisture, salt, and chemicals (random shoe cream), I would imagine they would be more likely to oxidize or corrode over time versus the likes of hardware found in a home. It might also cause burrs that would tear laces, where the lacquer finish helps keeps the surface smooth. It may not be a deal breaker, but that would probably be most people's concern. A lot of eyelets actually oxidize already, especially near the edges.

IMG_0294.jpeg

Canwin12

Reaction score
I have a pair of GS shoes and 3 pairs of boots and hope to buy more. A while ago there was a conversation about the high costs of shipping, duty and tax for Canadian customers. I recall some had suggestions on ways to reduce these costs. I believe Wyatt also commented. Those in the know please explain the better options. Thank you!

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of GS shoes and 3 pairs of boots and hope to buy more. A while ago there was a conversation about the high costs of shipping, duty and tax for Canadian customers. I recall some had suggestions on ways to reduce these costs. I believe Wyatt also commented. Those in the know please explain the better options. Thank you!

I'm in the GTA. I use a forwarding service named cross border pick ups. They have two locations, one is close to me.

Basically how it works is you create an account, and you're given a US address with a po box. It's basically a big a$$ Warehouse near the border. You get your item shipped to them and you declare it with a minimal fee. Once completed, they bring it over to whatever location you put as the primary and you pick it up from there or they can ship it to you if you're not close.

I've done this with car parts. My friends have done it with an entire engine.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the leather soles in Grant Stone boots hold up? While I have several pairs on the rubber sole, my recently purchased saddle tan Diesels is only one on leather soles.

Are they good enough for regular use and walking on concrete? Or does putting on a rubber half sole make more sense?
My OG Ottawas are probably well over 600 miles at this point, and don't show any real signs of wearing out. I love leather soles.

I think the leather sole experience has a lot to do with each person's individual gait as much as anything. Mine have seen a lot of pavement/sidewalks too - has been one of my go-to travel city-exploring shoes.

What colorway are those ottawas?
Magic.

Seriously, those things are intoxicating.
Since we are all sharing pictures of our insoles, I'll join in the fun. I've only worn these maybe 5-6 times, and the insoles still feel like they have not broken in totally. However, you can see my toes have plenty of space and this is the 2nd best boot last I have tried so far. This is my green cap toe boot.

View attachment 1882397
I've owned a lot of boots and shoes (by non-SF stanards), and never thought to look, much less take a picture.

That's probably changing this weekend though...

I've read several reports of Grant Stone heels being problematic. Most just aren't used to such a sturdy, solid leather heel counter. Assuming you have the correct size all around, I think time and wear will further soften the heel counter. You can firmly massage it with your fingers to speed the process along, and/or jam some large shoe trees into the shoes after wear (use caution as this may also stretch out the forefoot).

An anecdote for you... I experienced heel pain in my Brass Boots the first few wears but it has gone away. I also don't wear thick socks with them anymore, which helps since they are on the small side of a good fit already. Maybe since you've already tenderized that part of your foot you need time to heal before wearing them hard again.
I've been lucky - not one pair of GS have hurt me. The full-leather heel counter provides the absence of slip for me, where some shoes (and boots, to a lesser extent) have rubbed and hurt. GS and Alden lasts FTW.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m wearing the Traveler Penny today (one of my favorites), and these feel like a perfect fit on my foot. So, I figured “why not” and took a photo of the inside of this shoe. It really can’t get any better for my foot shape than the Alexander last. These are 11.5 E, which is what I measure on the brannock.
View attachment 1883365

Wow -- your pinkie toe is way further back than mine.

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
My OG Ottawas are probably well over 600 miles at this point, and don't show any real signs of wearing out. I love leather soles.

I think the leather sole experience has a lot to do with each person's individual gait as much as anything. Mine have seen a lot of pavement/sidewalks too - has been one of my go-to travel city-exploring shoes.

Magic.

Seriously, those things are intoxicating.

I've owned a lot of boots and shoes (by non-SF stanards), and never thought to look, much less take a picture.

That's probably changing this weekend though...

I've been lucky - not one pair of GS have hurt me. The full-leather heel counter provides the absence of slip for me, where some shoes (and boots, to a lesser extent) have rubbed and hurt. GS and Alden lasts FTW.

The fact that you have an updated signature link to a B/S/T post from four years ago is next-level organization (and persistence)! :D

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact that you have an updated signature link to a B/S/T post from four years ago is next-level organization (and persistence)! :D
LoL - I hadn't even noticed. Most of those are long-gone. (Still would sell the Dovers - decided to keep the snuff WTBs.

basu13

Reaction score
Those look GREAT. You sure its the crimson CXL?? Impressive shine.

Thanks mate, yes, they are the crimson CXL. Just some brushing before wear, without any product applied. Plus they are quite new so look more pristine!

rosenkruez

Reaction score
So the country derby design is gone now? I see dirty buck but anything leather instead of suede?
Any upcoming shell products?

Canwin12

Reaction score
In the Brass boot what would be an alternative fit to 7EEE and what would be the differences between the fits. Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads