• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waxed

Reaction score
8B6E60B0-34E8-4078-AA4D-7EDD3B5F77BB.jpeg

Love the way oiled-leather looks in low light.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the funny thing about cxl is that it will crease in very delayed way. You might think you're in the clear after several months, but then you'll suddenly notice a much larger crease that wasn't there before. This happened on two of my Aldens. Sometimes though, the creases never get much worse even after 5 years. It's a very unpredictable leather.
I'm not saying it never happens with GS, but I think they're being a lot more disciplined with clicking. This is the most-recent pic of my original Ottawas, which have more miles than any pair of shoes/boots I own (and it's not close):
b5ueRtg.jpg

My Dune CXL longwings and Travelers are doing great too. My orinial Indys were Natty CXL and definitely had some grain on the shafts. It honestly didn't bother me, but probably would have on the toes though.

basu13

Reaction score
I'm not saying it never happens with GS, but I think they're being a lot more disciplined with clicking. This is the most-recent pic of my original Ottawas, which have more miles than any pair of shoes/boots I own (and it's not close):
b5ueRtg.jpg

My Dune CXL longwings and Travelers are doing great too. My orinial Indys were Natty CXL and definitely had some grain on the shafts. It honestly didn't bother me, but probably would have on the toes though.

Waiting on my Crimson Ottawas which have been stuck with a friend for over a year in the US because of the pandemic. Technically my first purchase from GS. Finally getting them tomorrow, super excited! 😁

basu13

Reaction score
B grades section has been upated

Thanks for the heads up. Headed straight there and snagged a pair of saddletan Diesels. Been eyeing them for some time now. Quite a few offerings in my size of 8-8.5 this time around unlike other times.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a sizing question for those who have tried GS's chelseas. My brannock is 10C (10C HTB but 8.5/9D HTT). Will 9D work in the chelseas? I'm concerned that the standard 0.5 size down (9.5D) would have too much volume

Depends on your instep imo.

The chelsea cone height is much more generous - I don't think the length is all that different than the Leo last. I'm wearing the bluchers, Leo boots and loafers in a 6.5D (down from 7.5C htt). Chelsea is also a 6.5D but I must use wool socks - the others I can wear with any types of socks. If you have flat feet or similar you will have an issue.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a sizing question for those who have tried GS's chelseas. My brannock is 10C (10C HTB but 8.5/9D HTT). Will 9D work in the chelseas? I'm concerned that the standard 0.5 size down (9.5D) would have too much volume
I agree with Neo. I'd highly recommend you get some feedback from the team at GS.

My experience with the Chelseas is that 1/2 down (11.5D) yielded a perfect fit that was pretty close to Leo, but much more of a "tailored" feel - they're not tight or anything like that for me - my pair has been very comfortable and I've worn them in all kinds of situations - but there isn't lots of extra room going on either.

LionsOfMen

Reaction score
IMG_20221205_112730479.jpg

Ordered a natural cordovan watch strap. It came out of the box a little two tone.
IMG_20221122_104035166.jpg
Does anyone else think the right side looks brownish red vs the natural on other side.

basu13

Reaction score
Having finally received my Ottawa boots in crimson CXL, i immediately noticed that they seemed noticeably thinner than my dune CXL Ottawas (in terms of the thickness of the leather and overall heft of the boot). Crimson Ottawas seemed an overall thinner and lighter boot.

Surprised since they were purchased within weeks of each other in late 2021, I expected the cuts of leather to be the same for both boots. Is this normal and to be expected, i.e. variance in the thickness of CXL between colours?

lfzhao5

Reaction score
Probably depends on which season horween get the hides, also grant stone can order w.e thickness they want, and horween will skiv it down. In fact thinner hide should be more expensive since you it goes through an extra process. Alternative, Gs factory can do their own skiving

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads