• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing new, nothing fancy....Crimson diesels and a dog
IMG_2773.JPG

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1859569
Brass boot tan Essex 9e, going on 1 year of regular wear and work. Mostly landscape and lawn service. Finally used some cheap kiwi saddle soap a month or so back. Brannock 9.5e or so. Wider toes than ball. Duck footish. Still a little snug on toes, feels a tad long past big toes. Maybe tts would allow toes to fall into wider portion of the boot or the 8.5 or 8 eee may feel best. Anyone with a foot roughly 4-3/8 wide and what size are you wearing. View attachment 1859572 View attachment 1859571 View attachment 1859570
I can't give you any thoughts on Floyd sizing, but damn those things look great!!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sole is the stiffest I've tried so far, but I have not experienced any pain in the heel or insole. I have had some mild irritation at the shins, but this happens with Alden and AE sometimes as well. I changed the laces to an olive color. I wish these laces were offered in 5 mm, but 8 mm is the only option.

View attachment 1861488
I think the heel being very stabilized is a key to why they're so comfortable, especially when you've got some miles on them. I had a pair of shell Aldens chafe a bit at the top of the boot. I made a habit of bending them outward before and after every wear until it went away (which was probably six or so wears)

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking great! For my GS boots, I’ll flex each boot about 50 times to help break them in. I also remember being concerned with the heel. What I have come to understand is that although they’re more stiff than my AE boots, they are more supportive and comfortable. I can wear my GS boots all day and my feet feel great.

How do you do this?

basu13

Reaction score
Quick question on comparison between the saddle tan Badalassi leather and the natural CXL. I am considering a diesel boot and while I am familiar with the GS CXL and how it ages (have a CXL Ottawa), I have no experience with the Badalassi leather. Which one ages better and stretches more? Does CXL crease more than the saddle tan leather ?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question on comparison between the saddle tan Badalassi leather and the natural CXL. I am considering a diesel boot and while I am familiar with the GS CXL and how it ages (have a CXL Ottawa), I have no experience with the Badalassi leather. Which one ages better and stretches more? Does CXL crease more than the saddle tan leather ?

CXL may crease badly, but may also roll beautifully. The saddle veg-tan from Badalassi will crease a lot every time, but it's part of the leather's character, and they're usually small creases.

I realize I basically restated the previous comment.

Also the veg-tan article is a lot more firm. CXL will stretch a good amount.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dune Travellers at a Circus show today.
The lighting makes this look very different.

20221204_184614.jpg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL may crease badly, but may also roll beautifully. The saddle veg-tan from Badalassi will crease a lot every time, but it's part of the leather's character, and they're usually small creases.

Yeah, the funny thing about cxl is that it will crease in very delayed way. You might think you're in the clear after several months, but then you'll suddenly notice a much larger crease that wasn't there before. This happened on two of my Aldens. Sometimes though, the creases never get much worse even after 5 years. It's a very unpredictable leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads