• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Assad

Reaction score
Me too. They give me sort of a "Rockport" vibe.

Me Three. I much prefer the brass and diesel boots. I'm hoping they could do a diesel boot someday with a vibram sole similar to the Marvington service boot.

whipcord

Reaction score
I've been wearing my Coffee Suede Longwings around the house in the evening to try to break them in. The heavy leather sole feels like a wood plank thus far, but I know it will soften. Man is it ever tough though.

20220917_152835.jpg

While these 11.5D Longwings are on the same Leo last, they are a tad smaller than my 11.5D Crimson Diesel boots. They fit perfectly in the heel and instep, but seem a tad more narrow in the toebox, which is more rigid as well. The left foot is fine, but my right big toe presses on the inside toebox a bit. I think they will work out ok. Have a bit of heel slip walking which is to be expected at this early juncture. They are supremely comfortable when I'm just kicking back with them on my feet.

whipcord

Reaction score
This will be my last effort to see if a number of my GS's will stay in the collection. Just ordered this:
Mallory-Vamp-Raiser-2.jpg

Bummer. Where are they tight? There are a few things I've learned about fit in shoes and boots: A tight shoe or boot is likely not going to improve at all. In fact, my Brass Boots got worse with wear as they developed toe spring and my toes got crunched even more. A boot or shoe which is slightly loose will feel better over time, but not one that is too small.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will be my last effort to see if a number of my GS's will stay in the collection. Just ordered this:
Mallory-Vamp-Raiser-2.jpg
That won’t do anything unless you wet the inside of the boot with the proper items… I’m no expert but I know you need to wet the boot before using that device. I have one as well.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bummer. Where are they tight? There are a few things I've learned about fit in shoes and boots: A tight shoe or boot is likely not going to improve at all. In fact, my Brass Boots got worse with wear as they developed toe spring and my toes got crunched even more. A boot or shoe which is slightly loose will feel better over time, but not one that is too small.

It's the instep, and I've found CXL stretches pretty well.
That won’t do anything unless you wet the inside of the boot with the proper items… I’m no expert but I know you need to wet the boot before using that device. I have one as well.
I have stretching solution.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are the boots? I seem to recall you may already be in EEE? If so, have you tried half a size up?
Length is good on 9 EEE and even fine on 8.5EEE. If I went larger I'd need normal/boot socks and that would defeat the added instep room the larger size would give. I may try something like a 10E in the future. I wear a 9 UK in Trickers and they fit a touch snug in width but much better in instep. On a Brannock device I am 9EEE left and just over 9EEE right and I take 9EEE in most of my AE shoes and boots.

Of course it just may be that the last doesn't work for me. Love GS boots but it's not like I really need any more.

whipcord

Reaction score
Length is good on 9 EEE and even fine on 8.5EEE. If I went larger I'd need normal/boot socks and that would defeat the added instep room the larger size would give.

So you are in between sizes and going with the smaller size which is too tight in the instep? If so, I made that mistake, too, but it was my toes that were being squeezed. The CXL never stretched to improve that.

whipcord

Reaction score
Lounging around in these today. They feel nice on my feet, size 11.5D. I have never owned a pair of loafers before so was kind of unsure on sizing, but I don't think I'd want them any tighter across the instep. We'll see what they turn out to be.
travelerpenny.jpg

Last edited:

whipcord

Reaction score
I was just inspecting my new Travelers since I put them on for a couple hours today, and I noticed the lining on the right shoe has kind of separated from the outer leather. Is this supposed to be glued together? Is it something I should be concerned about? None of my other Grant Stone pairs looks like this inside. Not sure if it matters.
lining.jpg

Moeck14

Reaction score
I was just inspecting my new Travelers since I put them on for a couple hours today, and I noticed the lining on the right shoe has kind of separated from the outer leather. Is this supposed to be glued together? Is it something I should be concerned about? None of my other Grant Stone pairs looks like this inside. Not sure if it matters. View attachment 1840785
I don't think it will cause any issues long term. It also looks stitched in the area so it shouldn't get too much worse

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Length is good on 9 EEE and even fine on 8.5EEE. If I went larger I'd need normal/boot socks and that would defeat the added instep room the larger size would give. I may try something like a 10E in the future. I wear a 9 UK in Trickers and they fit a touch snug in width but much better in instep. On a Brannock device I am 9EEE left and just over 9EEE right and I take 9EEE in most of my AE shoes and boots.

Of course it just may be that the last doesn't work for me. Love GS boots but it's not like I really need any more.

Gonna make a total off-topic comment...

We both struggle with instep issues but in your case I think you can really find a silver lining in this. Ironically, my narrow width prevents me from going for truly high cone lasts without a corresponding drop in width to a C or B, but you don't have that issue. Wyatt once remarked to me about Trickers having very high cone lasts. That....plus the fact you can wear the Macrae on the 2531 last....I think it would be a travesty for you not to try the Carmina Rain last - some crazy makeups on that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics