• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The GS Leo last is very similar to the Alden Barrie last, at least to my feet...I have found that the same size in both, is a comfortable out of the box fit....with the GS getting just a slight nod to "better fit"...I, personally, would not be at all happy with the field boot if it rubbed by heel raw, and would drive to Michigan and confront the GS guys personally. but I'm just 4 hours away from them,,,It wouldn't be an angry meeting more of a OUCH look at this type of meeting.

Last edited:

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_6595.jpg
IMG_6597.jpg

As to fit, for me most GS fit ok. The instep is where I have issues as it's either tight or I need to wear dress socks. This does vary and CXL tends to be better (wearing normal socks and instep is snug but no discomfort) but I think a lot of it depends on how tight it is lasted. I have a pair of Kudu cap toes that are a half size smaller than what works best and yet they feel fine on my instep. I have a pair of Diesel Kudu that are unwearable in the same size that are painful with my thinnest dress socks and without laces in the boots.

For the heel I don't tend to have too many issues but I do think GS heels are wide and with how they are constructed they are a bit stiff which is probably why some are getting heel issues. If I keep my heel on the ground and raise my toes up pivoting the boot I can feel it on my heel at the top of the heel cup. I'm willing to bet $$ if I worked the heel over a bit, flexing it back and forth it would be much better.

I've bought a few pairs of motorcycle boots recently and while some have gone back due to width or my calf size (tall boots) I have not had an issue with instep on any of them. Same when I used to wear Doc Martens, width was tight but instep was fine.

Last edited:

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
For clarification on a lot of questions it was both feet but I only showed the worse affected foot. That was my first wear and I wore them for 1 mile walk. I cut the walk way shorter then I usually do because of the pain.
Damn that’s rough for 1 mile. Hopefully they break in but the vibergs I was referring to ended up being sold since the heel cup just cut into my foot in an odd way and I couldn’t deal with it.

rjc149

Reaction score
I have a pair of GS longwings in CXL (Leo last, EEE). Break in period definitely existed but wasn't brutal, and they're now quite comfortable.

I remedied the initial heel slippage by putting in a tongue pad, since I have low arches and there was a lot of volume in the shoe, particularly in the instep. The pads filled some of that excess volume and kept my feet more snug on the footbed.

Putting shoe trees in the shoes has also helped form a cupping in the heels in addition to narrowing them slightly.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a heel counter feels too stiff I simply flex it a bit by hand. I get that that isn't the 'natural' way, but it can help a lot with initial break in
This would’ve probably helped me because I did it after the damage already happened …. But you may not get the same affect in the field boot as a traditional heel counter. There’s a lot more happening back there

Attachments

• 4717B566-CA74-4584-BD8A-6B9CAB2EB0F7.jpeg
    4717B566-CA74-4584-BD8A-6B9CAB2EB0F7.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 62

klawso9

Reaction score
My new pair of Honey Glazed Ottawas arrived. I’m going to enter them into Stitchdown’s patina thunder dome starting Oct 1 so I’m excited to see what the patina looks like. Now I’m going to patiently await my Maduro travelers to finish out the top row.

IMG_3129.jpg

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got an email about B stock, restocking. Looks like a lot of field boots in the list.

Saw that email over lunch yesterday, went to buy a pair in my size, and they were snatched out from under my nose by someone else.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My new pair of Honey Glazed Ottawas arrived. I’m going to enter them into Stitchdown’s patina thunder dome starting Oct 1 so I’m excited to see what the patina looks like. Now I’m going to patiently await my Maduro travelers to finish out the top row.

View attachment 1838138
Wait,that means you are going to let those beautiful boots have the **** beat out of them, for the Stitchdown "contest"/??? Wow.

klawso9

Reaction score
Wait,that means you are going to let those beautiful boots have the **** beat out of them, for the Stitchdown "contest"/??? Wow.

Not quite. I intended to wear them pretty regularly anyways, just documenting the journey is'all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads