• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok ..just wondering because in the description on their website says the shaft is unlined.
even if I had read it before buying I wouldn’t of been certain. It seems like all the field boots are unlined tho. That’s great. I went a full size down this time in the Floyd last. My broken in brass boots now fit a half size too big and I went 1/2 size down in those. The leather just stretched so much over time

Last edited:

Drzdave58

Reaction score
even if I have read it before buying I wouldn’t of been certain. It seems like all the field boots are unlined tho. That’s great. I went a full size down this time in the Floyd last. My broken in brass boots now fit a half size too big and I went 1/2 size down in those. The leather just stretched so much over time
To each his own but I always like to know exactly what I'm getting before I plunk down my cash. Good to know that about the floyd last.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To each his own but I always like to know exactly what I'm getting before I plunk down my cash. Good to know that about the floyd last.
Well it does still say Milwaukee leather lining lol… I get it tho it doesn’t specify what area of the boot but it never has in the past I don’t think until now. Field boots are great tho. My one gripe about GS’s being the shaft was lined is now gone

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Grant Stone pair that started it all for me:

OG Crimson Ottawas - still looking good after well over 500 miles...
zmZe5FX.jpg

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Successfully am able to go down 1 full size from brannock in the Floyd last. I’ve now had experience with going 1/2 size down and 1 full size in this particular last. I could never go anything more then a 1/2 size down in any other grant stone lasts however. I do have wide and high volume feet. Originally sizing a half size down in the Floyd was working until my boots broke in enough and now they certainly fit a half size too big, pic below… I just have unwanted amounts of wiggle room now that I don’t care for and I’m also getting in the realm of heel slip.

After trying on the 1 full size down bison field boot while it’s snug and tight (not painful). this is going to be the perfect size for me and my size moving forward in the Floyd last… 1 size down. The pictures below are trying to show the extra room in my pair of brass boots That I think are too big for me now.
26E7584C-E3E6-41C4-9EC4-D815610B2A92.jpeg
A8FE6B80-3D07-4B8D-8B8E-DD9781FD0763.jpeg
5A343395-823B-43D4-B01A-F067D1A4A31B.jpeg

basu13

Reaction score
The Grant Stone pair that started it all for me:

OG Crimson Ottawas - still looking good after well over 500 miles...
zmZe5FX.jpg

The rolls really looks brilliant on those. I am expecting my Crimson Ottawas by December (someone carrying it down for me from the US), and going by my experience with the Dune Ottawa, I should love it.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rolls really looks brilliant on those. I am expecting my Crimson Ottawas by December (someone carrying it down for me from the US), and going by my experience with the Dune Ottawa, I should love it.
These have progressed like I imagine Essex would - almost like a bovine shell cordovan (Essex shares a lot of the tannage/liquors used in making shell cordovan). Everything is lovely rolls or really tight grain, and they've held up to LOT of wear. I wouldn't say they see harsh environments, but they've been all over the world and seen many days of double-digit-miles-and-then-some wear, and so they haven't been babied either. Everything that happens seems to melt away with a licked finger, some rubbing and some brushing (much like shell).

Definitely a great pair of boots.

Last edited:

Moostyle

Reaction score
Forgot about these in the back of the closet, so decided to wear for garden work today, before it turns cold...This is probably the 5th time I've worn them :) View attachment 1836715
Nice boots and colour but every time I see leather laces I think "man they look fugly". They are just so long and bulky that they look weird to me.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The field boot just obliterated the back of my foot. Suggesting blister pads/bandages/blister tape/double socks for anybody also breaking in the field boot. Cool boot tho. View attachment 1836884 View attachment 1836885
Ouch. I've never had a GS pair hurt me. Is it both feet?

At least that Bison leather is gorgeous.
Nice boots and colour but every time I see leather laces I think "man they look fugly". They are just so long and bulky that they look weird to me.
Different strokes brother. Honestly, I didn't care for leather laces until one of my later pair of Diesels, and there are a couple pairs where I'm keeping the leather laces indefinitely.
k0WNDf.gif

View attachment 1836903 View attachment 1836904 View attachment 1836905 View attachment 1836906 View attachment 1836907
Hello. Wanted to share some pics of the Edward boot in Dark Oak. These were ordered in March, my first quality GYW purchase. I purchased another pair in Burgundy for the fall.
Both very cool pairs! The Dark Oak pair will be fun - definitely a pair you can beat on and only get good stuff in return.

(In a dream world where I have the room, funds and marital flexibility to push beyond 35 pairs of shoes and boots, I'd have a pair of the Chelseas in that leather as a yardwork/garage/do-absolutely-whatever boot. It's a role filled by a cheap pair of sneakers from Costco, and honestly better since I wear shorts 3/4 of the year for that kind of thing, but a boot-addict can dream, right?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics