• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whipcord

Reaction score
These Brass Boots in Earth are really becoming one of my favorite looking boots. They are 9.5E and I wish I had gotten a 10D instead and followed Wyatt's advice. Still serviceable, but cause pain at the toe after a few hours. I will be breaking in my new pair of brown CXL Brass Boots in 10D that should turn out perfect fit-wise.

In other news, I accidently copied Grant Stone's photography style on top of a hot water heater....
View attachment 1791454

Interesting. Which toe is the issue in the smaller boot, and what is the width comparison between the 9.5E and 10D? I've got an 11.5D, an 11D, and I'm thinking about buying an 11E for my next pair. I think I'll have it surrounded.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Which toe is the issue in the smaller boot, and what is the width comparison between the 9.5E and 10D? I've got an 11.5D, an 11D, and I'm thinking about buying an 11E for my next pair. I think I'll have it surrounded.

You and I both have probably got it 'surrounded'. :laugh:

I often get hot spots on the front corner of my big toes toward the inside. I took an overhead shot of the 9.5E and 10D side-by-side with the heel against the door to give a close, though not totally accurate comparison (left boot has more wear, is in a different leather). I circled about where I get toe rub. So far the 10D seems to give me a bit more room there, though I may not really know until both boots are fully broken in.

The difference in visual length is more than I expected, but I suspect it shortens just a bit as it gets broken in. I've got a little arch support insert I use in the 9.5E's to take up volume and tiny bit of length. This doesn't seem necessary in the 10D, though the kiltie helps take up that volume.

Edited black and white for more objectivity.

Attachments

• 20220513_213415.jpg
    20220513_213415.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the chance we will ever get a release of the Storm kudu in EEE sizes again? Every single restock has only been D and E sizes…

jimrude

Reaction score
In case anyone wants to see a pair of Ottawas in crimson CXL. About 20 wears…. Super comfortable right out of the box. Much “browner” than I thought they would be, but that’s an observation not a complaint.

Attachments

• 76DAA7A6-5D6A-417C-81B1-E2E7445CF79B.jpeg
    76DAA7A6-5D6A-417C-81B1-E2E7445CF79B.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 12299859-A200-4024-BADF-992D41B0DD56.jpeg
    12299859-A200-4024-BADF-992D41B0DD56.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 134

GuyLab

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm kinda new to Grant Stone and been trying to gather as much info as possible on Grant Stone before ordering a pair of Diesel and contacted them for advice on sizing. But I would like to know your experience on their fit, in general or compared to Meermin Rui (the only gyw shoes I have). I have rather narrow feet and wear 11Uk on Meermin Rui. I have tongue pads and need to tie the shoes somewhat tight because I find them a little wide. These are longwings and despite a tad wide, the facings aren't touching thanks to the tongue pads, especially on my right foot.

Now Grant Stone suggested I'd opt for 12 E US but I'm scared to order something too large especially since I'm in Europe and shipping is costly. That recommendation was based on some measurements I gave. I told them my feet are 29.9 cm long and 10.1 wide and gave some sneakers size I wear along with meermin. Based on that they determinee that I should be a 13 brannock and then asked me to measure my instep which is probs 27 - 27.5, not really used to measure that. I then got told that 12E are 31.3 long and 10.4 wide and that is what I should pick.
Based on that, it theoretically seems ok but I'm kinda surprised to have the same size on their boots as Meermin with their boots looking like a bit wider. For the record, I have some measurements of the Rui last is 31.7 long and 10.3 wide for 11 UK

Any experience or advice would be much appreciated

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm kinda new to Grant Stone and been trying to gather as much info as possible on Grant Stone before ordering a pair of Diesel and contacted them for advice on sizing. But I would like to know your experience on their fit, in general or compared to Meermin Rui (the only gyw shoes I have). I have rather narrow feet and wear 11Uk on Meermin Rui. I have tongue pads and need to tie the shoes somewhat tight because I find them a little wide. These are longwings and despite a tad wide, the facings aren't touching thanks to the tongue pads, especially on my right foot.

Now Grant Stone suggested I'd opt for 12 E US but I'm scared to order something too large especially since I'm in Europe and shipping is costly. That recommendation was based on some measurements I gave. I told them my feet are 29.9 cm long and 10.1 wide and gave some sneakers size I wear along with meermin. Based on that they determinee that I should be a 13 brannock and then asked me to measure my instep which is probs 27 - 27.5, not really used to measure that. I then got told that 12E are 31.3 long and 10.4 wide and that is what I should pick.
Based on that, it theoretically seems ok but I'm kinda surprised to have the same size on their boots as Meermin with their boots looking like a bit wider. For the record, I have some measurements of the Rui last is 31.7 long and 10.3 wide for 11 UK

Any experience or advice would be much appreciated

Not speaking as an expert here, but I know the Rui runs quite voluminous, and that 9.5UK Rui would fit similar to a 10.5D US Grant Stone so the full size offset seems accurate. As for adding a width, better to err on the side of too roomy than too tight. I'd wager you would want to wear thicker socks with the Grant Stone boots than you would with a pair of longwing shoes. You will be happy for the extra width I think, and the heel lock should be similar. If it's too roomy over the instep, you can easily add a 3/4 insert, tongue pad, false tongue, or combination of all three. Additionally, it's difficult to stretch any tightness at the toes, and the raised split-reverse welt prohibits your foot spilling over the edge of the insole to accomodate tightness that way. Even if there's some heel slip at first, once you wear the boot in it should go away.

Same office, same pants, different day, different boots. Ottawa in bourbon suede, with a mini lug sole applied to deal with the PNW weather.

View attachment 1793674

View attachment 1793675

Shew, those look great with a half lug. Love the look of the double leather sole. Nice to see that a matching lift was added to the heel to retain balance.

GuyLab

Reaction score
Not speaking as an expert here, but I know the Rui runs quite voluminous, and that 9.5UK Rui would fit similar to a 10.5D US Grant Stone so the full size offset seems accurate. As for adding a width, better to err on the side of too roomy than too tight. I'd wager you would want to wear thicker socks with the Grant Stone boots than you would with a pair of longwing shoes. You will be happy for the extra width I think, and the heel lock should be similar. If it's too roomy over the instep, you can easily add a 3/4 insert, tongue pad, false tongue, or combination of all three. Additionally, it's difficult to stretch any tightness at the toes, and the raised split-reverse welt prohibits your foot spilling over the edge of the insole to accomodate tightness that way. Even if there's some heel slip at first, once you wear the boot in it should go away.
I've had others tell me HOK last actually fits similar to Leo last. IIRC people usually go down half a size between RUI and HOK. I've also share some dimensions given to me by Meermin with Giovanni from customer support, and since RUI is an asymmetrical last, he recalls I could actually go 11.5D or 12D. I'll pop in a Meermin store to try the hok last, if 10.5 is a nice fit, then I guess I can order 11.5D for the DIesel boots

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had others tell me HOK last actually fits similar to Leo last. IIRC people usually go down half a size between RUI and HOK. I've also share some dimensions given to me by Meermin with Giovanni from customer support, and since RUI is an asymmetrical last, he recalls I could actually go 11.5D or 12D. I'll pop in a Meermin store to try the hok last, if 10.5 is a nice fit, then I guess I can order 11.5D for the DIesel boots
I know it's always a bit of a gamble ordering from a distance, but going from Grant Stone's recommended 12E to an 11.5D sounds very risky. If they have indeed updated their advice to 11.5D or 12D, I might opt for the larger of the two. Comparing the length dimensions you shared, it seems like an 11.5D Leo last would be much shorter than the 11UK RUI. Trying on something from the HOK last will certainly help though. Maybe some others will weigh in, but the general consensus is that sizing inquiries are best left to the good folks at Grant Stone.

For the record, having owned multiple pairs of both, the Grant Stone's are absolutely on another level compared to Meermin.

GuyLab

Reaction score
I know it's always a bit of a gamble ordering from a distance, but going from Grant Stone's recommended 12E to an 11.5D sounds very risky. If they have indeed updated their advice to 11.5D or 12D, I might opt for the larger of the two. Comparing the length dimensions you shared, it seems like an 11.5D Leo last would be much shorter than the 11UK RUI. Trying on something from the HOK last will certainly help though. Maybe some others will weigh in, but the general consensus is that sizing inquiries are best left to the good folks at Grant Stone.

For the record, having owned multiple pairs of both, the Grant Stone's are absolutely on another level compared to Meermin.
Those were my thoughts as well, going from 12E to 11.5D sounds risky. The logic behind his recommendation is that because my feet are rather narrow I should stick to D width, and he thinks 11.5 D could fit well because of the fuller toe box of the Leo last. Anyways, I'll try the Hok last on to see how it fits and I'll order accordingly I guess.

Yeah I've only heard good things about Grant Stone, I usually wouldn't purchase them because they're a bit over my budget, but I got a nice bonus and wanted to treat myself. I just want don't want to do back and forth shipping

Drzdave58

Reaction score
You're in luck! We are expecting a restock of the Natural Kangaroo Ottawa boots by the end of the month! Sign up to be notified when your size comes back in stock so you don't miss out!
I just found out that kangaroo hide is twice as strong as cowhide. I never would have thought that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads