• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL is too stuffed with oils/etc. to accept any coloring cream without first stripping it with Renomat or similar (which I really don't recommend)
Indeed. I am not willing to experiment and will be using the conditioners only henceforth on all CXL leather shoes/boots.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't read the word "henceforth" without hearing it in Palpatine's voice.
1642820363794.png

So is this what happens to boots if they get hit with high voltage....

And, agreed with the above about colored polish on CXL.

I just watched a video of Skip Horween talking about their Chromexcel and Latigo, and the former is so hot stuffed with oils and stuff it won't hardly take more.

Video interview

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just watched a video of Skip Horween talking about their Chromexcel and Latigo, and the former is so hot stuffed with oils and stuff it won't hardly take more.
It also means they require very little and pretty infrequent conditioning, etc. IMHO, best is just brushing with an occasional damp-cloth wipe-down with a good long brushing

whipcord

Reaction score
Can people describe the fit of their Diesel boot out of the box vs. now after broken in? I am thinking of buying a half size smaller to try on. This first one felt a bit big, specifically in the ankle area as well as a little long in the toebox - more than I think I've ever had in a shoe.

When I laced it all the way up, the sides of the shaft almost touch. Seems a bit odd. Across the instep and the ball felt decent. I know for sure I don't need anything larger, but feel like the fit could be a bit better. I have not tried the boot on since I got it a few days ago but I need to make a decision on this thing.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@whipcord Do you happen to have narrow heels and ankles? What you described is just how Diesel boots fit me. If the boots are made of anything but calfskin or shell cordovan, expect the uppers to stretch out a fair amount with wear. If the facings almost touch now, you'll run into trouble later on.

Ben B

Reaction score
@whipcord Do you happen to have narrow heels and ankles? What you described is just how Diesel boots fit me. If the boots are made of anything but calfskin or shell cordovan, expect the uppers to stretch out a fair amount with wear. If the facings almost touch now, you'll run into trouble later on.
My upper touch on all my boots. Thin ankles. Doesn’t seem to be a problem though.

whipcord

Reaction score

Thank you for the reply. I honestly don't know if I have narrow ankles or heels. How do I tell?

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dune CXL Ottawas on their maiden run. A short walk around the neighborhood. These fit like a dream, as snug as I like it.

View attachment 1739569 View attachment 1739570
Looking good! Can anyone make a comparison between the cognac grain and chrmxl Ottawa boots as far as comfort and look? I just picked up a pair of the pebble grain. Comfort is solid but the shade looks much more pale than anticipated. It may darken up some with wear and some polish. These boots are much bigger and heftier than I thought. They’re more Trickers than they are Alden.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads