• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whipcord

Reaction score
Really depends on the leather type, cxl is more prone to creasing than let's say Kudu. Hard to really say for sure though because it can also vary from hide to hide.

I don't plan on even walking in them.

Open box. Observe boot. Slip boot on foot. Slip other boot on other foot. Does boot fit or not fit?

A: No. Put boot back in box and order proper size.

B: Yes. Keep boot and wear boot.

My concern is that, if they DON'T fit and they don't have the proper size in the same style, then what? Oh well, cross that bridge if/when I come to it.

Online shopping has become a real crap shoot for me. Without being able to see/hold/try on an item in person, it adds a whole new level of mystery. Some fabrics and things are surprisingly cheap and horrible, some are surprisingly beautiful and high quality.

basu13

Reaction score
I don't plan on even walking in them.

Open box. Observe boot. Slip boot on foot. Slip other boot on other foot. Does boot fit or not fit?

A: No. Put boot back in box and order proper size.

B: Yes. Keep boot and wear boot.

My concern is that, if they DON'T fit and they don't have the proper size in the same style, then what? Oh well, cross that bridge if/when I come to it.

Online shopping has become a real crap shoot for me. Without being able to see/hold/try on an item in person, it adds a whole new level of mystery. Some fabrics and things are surprisingly cheap and horrible, some are surprisingly beautiful and high quality.

For Grant Stone boots, I had to downsize half a size before I got a perfect fit. My first pair was in 9 E which was decent fitting but the next one was 8.5 E which was a nice snug fit, the kind I like. All I had to do with the 9 E boots was to put in a thin insole and voila, the fit is now lovely.

Being in a different continent, returning and exchanging GS shoes was not feasible for me so this was my workaround, which turned out quite satisfactorily.

megamega

Reaction score
Perhaps, but versatility is still a selling point, at least to me. I keep maybe 10 boots and twice that many shoes in the rotation. I don't like to overly think about which boots go with what, but rather just grab a pair of boots that goes with most everything I wear.

If you want options: I contend that the brown Brass Boot is a masterclass in versatility.

@megamega I think the 10EEE is going to be more voluminous compared to the 11E (basically feel more roomy), and a tad shorter. Be warned, the Floyd last is already extremely roomy in a D width.

Thanks! My 11EE feet does not fit too well in an 11E, while a 10.5EEE is too loose at the heel..

megamega

Reaction score
I tried on 10.5 EEE, 11 E, 11 EEE, and 11.5 E. The overall volume difference between the EEE and E pairs I found to be quite substantial. I measure 11.5 E on the brannock. Started at 11 E…too narrow, 11 EEE and my feet were swimming. Then 10 EEE and the volume felt good, but were a little short. Then I was about to give up and was encourage to try my brannock size 11.5 E and they’re perfect. Go figure!

Love it! As you can see above, this is what I did. Worked my way through several until it was dialed in. Good luck!

Thanks for the input! My brannock is 11EE. If you size down a full size for EEE and feel too short, then 10EEE for me might be too short as well. Perhaps I should choose 11.5E instead.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Question for Grantstone and forum:

Most people (me included) have provided feedback that on E and EEE, the heels may be to loose for them.

Has anyone ever provided feedback that the heels are too tight for them? If not, would it make sense to keep E or EEE heels the same fit as D front B heel?

That would be ideal for me: EEE front B heel.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for Grantstone and forum:

Most people (me included) have provided feedback that on E and EEE, the heels may be to loose for them.

Has anyone ever provided feedback that the heels are too tight for them? If not, would it make sense to keep E or EEE heels the same fit as D front B heel?

That would be ideal for me: EEE front B heel.
Believe it or not, I saw a comment on one of their Facebook posts where someone complained of the Brass Boot being too tight in the heel. As someone with a very slim heel, I almost can't comprehend it.

For me, going a half size down from Brannock on the Brass Boot still felt immensely big. I'll be going a whole size down if I try it again. Disclaimer: don't take this as fit advice.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like this color.
IMG_5838.jpg

I have a Tricker's Bourton on the way and I am looking forward to a head to head comparison.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I saw a comment on one of their Facebook posts where someone complained of the Brass Boot being too tight in the heel. As someone with a very slim heel, I almost can't comprehend it.

For me, going a half size down from Brannock on the Brass Boot still felt immensely big. I'll be going a whole size down if I try it again. Disclaimer: don't take this as fit advice.
Grant Stone doesn’t do narrow heels in general. They’re all big boy heels. As someone with skinny heels (I guess? News to me) it’s noticeable!

basu13

Reaction score
I really like this color.
View attachment 1736297

I have a Tricker's Bourton on the way and I am looking forward to a head to head comparison.
That would be an interesting comparison. I love the robust build of the Grant Stone boots myself and their construction seems fantastic. However, my Trickers Stows are at a level above when it comes to the "tank like build" that one keeps hearing about when talking Trickers.

Both are personal favourite brands.

whipcord

Reaction score
Wouldn't you know that right after I order they're offering free 2 day shipping for signing up? My boots are taking a week. Argh.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bourbon Ottowa's and Cognac Shell Cap Toe boots in 8.5D still available on the BST thread.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
DHL delivers fast. Tricker’s Bourton vs GS Longwing

To hard to post in both threads so link to the review

Nice write up from @Genericuser1 on the wingtips. I agree that both are great shoes indeed. Personally, I really enjoy the whole shoe most by owning many different brands, and enjoying what each offers. For those interested, the Leo and the Trickers 4444 fit very differently.

My feet report that the Leo is longer, narrower, and with a slightly lower profile (ie dressier), even in the E width relative to the 4444 in the standard 5 fitting. Thus my 7.5 Bourtons fit roomier (in a good way) than my 8.5E GS. I don't have a problem with heel slip in either shoe. I suspect that the 4444 would be like a Leo in EE, if the latter existed. The 4444 is not for the narrow-footed.

A couple of other observations is that the Trickers are a bit more stout and really define "chonk" for better or worse. I also find the the welting, particularly where the welts meets the vamp to be cleaner in the Trickers. This may be due to the welt style, and frankly, the Trickers run a couple of hundred dollars higher unless you get them on sale. I got mine for under $280 on their recent outlet sale, in the Opera Earth Suede. Here in the US we don't pay the VAT, so with their sales and free shipping, great deals are on that site.

Because of the fit, I am little biased towards the Trickers, and I have also learned the double leather soles are not my thing. I find them so stiff that it effects my gait and I wear out the toe in short order, leaving me with a shoe I can no longer use w/o a resole to rubber or getting taps (which I hate) after a dozen wears. Maybe needing a rather short length and E widths, and weighing 133 pounds means I can't generate enough flex on wide double leather soles, and I just roll right off the toes :rolleyes:. Two great pairs of shoes IMO.

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

Moostyle

Reaction score
Hi guys. I really want a pair of Moctoe Brass Boots from GS. I am an 11.5D/11D in Bannock sizing for my L/R feet so should I be getting an 11D that should fit both feet comfortably, taking into account my larger left foot? :)

LEFT FOOT:

Length:
28.4 cm Width: 10.7 cm

RIGHT FOOT:

Length:
28 cm Width: 10.2 cm

DawgPound

Reaction score
Thanks @GrantStone Wyatt and Co for another pair of high quality footwear! My Navy CXL Diesels just arrived. I received the notice that my size was back in stock and immediately bought them. Cruddy photo/lighting, but I couldn’t be happier and wanted to share. Honestly, Grant Stone is the best value! Excellent materials and the build is spot on. I can’t say that about the other brand I also own. My Grant Stone collection now includes 5 total pair. These Diesels, a couple Ottawas, and a couple Traveler Pennies. I’m looking forward to what you offer in 2022!

9BD87EA3-A17F-4FB8-AB71-FDF7C45B12EC.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads