• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

petng

Reaction score
Yes i have contacted them, but its the weekend.
A friend thought it was alligator skin!!

To be fair to GS, I have purchased over 10 pairs over the last 4 years and never had any bad experiences before. The previous boots/shoes have exceeded my expectations. Their QS is miles ahead of Viberg and their construction exceeds those of Alden boots.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The good news is the Brass Boot can double as a great work boot, so the look is not innappropriate. But yes, not ideal for any kind of aesthetics unless you like the look of bison leather (which some do).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saddle Tan Diesel boots, getting the snowblower ready, just in case need it this week. It's an Ego battery blower, so not much to do other than a little lubrication and making sure the spider webs from summer are gone. Dog going to help
IMG_9565.JPG

BAT1

Reaction score
First post here.

I hope i’m using the right thread.

I bought my first two pair of grant stone boots recently, one in natural cxl and one in black cxl. I would like the natural pair to be darker but I know nothing about the color. Before I use mink oil on them I wanted to ask opinions.. brown cxl was out of stock in my size and the 25% off sale got me.

Any ideas on using mink oil to darken?
F794BDF3-34AD-4072-897B-71CBDA90A25B.jpeg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BAT1 Welcome... and great boots!

While I have no experience with mink oil, what I can recommend is to strip off any wax finish first in order to evenly saturate the leather with the product of your choice. A leather cleaner/conditioner should work fine to remove wax, concentrate your efforts on the toe and quarters since that is where any wax may be. A stronger solution would be 50/50 alcohol & water.

I would be interested to see how pure mink oil affects that natural chromexcel leather (but wait for an expert to weigh in first).

petng

Reaction score
First post here.

I hope i’m using the right thread.

I bought my first two pair of grant stone boots recently, one in natural cxl and one in black cxl. I would like the natural pair to be darker but I know nothing about the color. Before I use mink oil on them I wanted to ask opinions.. brown cxl was out of stock in my size and the 25% off sale got me.

Any ideas on using mink oil to darken?
Put in the sun for a couple of days and then just moisture it with normal shoe conditioner. The natural cxl gets day very quickly

Here is my natural with about 10 wears and 2 conditions

DD3DBF7A-0885-463A-BF20-F24B2D881668.jpeg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No wallet is safe after discovering Ashland Leather. Former wallets are wailing by the droves as they are resigned to the drawer.

To keep it on topic: maybe the only pair of storm kudu chukkas on butyl soles in the world.

20211206_121018.jpg 20211206_121206.jpg

And the softness of the sole on display:
20211206_121233.jpg

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@manowar ,

Those chukkas actually look pretty good compared to the website. I notice it's not a big seller judging from this thread but they do look intriguing.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@7_rocket This is the photo sample, so whatever preorders that have been placed are not delivered yet. I prefer the chukka over the PTB (with exposed eyelets), and that is the choice I was presented with when the B-grade update landed last month. The PTB would have been too similar to my GS suede bucks. The chukka will likely not be too popular though, admittedly. But for my lifestyle they are more suitable than the Ottawa or Diesel would be. And it is one of only three of my chukkas, so it was different enough to justify.

Also the butyl sole was a seller. Very comfortable and good traction.

Speaking of exposed eyelets (on shoes), I have long been a skeptic, but did recently place a custom order that I hope will change my mind. We'll see how it turns out - and yes, it's Grant Stone related.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads