• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moeck14

Reaction score
Speaking of wallets, I wonder if anyone bought one of the Ashland Leather wallets to put them over the line on Black Friday. If they had, that would have been a most excellent allocation of funds. The natural shell is especially appealing, as a matter of fact, I just picked up some goodies from Ashland over the weekend including an article in natural shell and whiskey shell as well as a very special piece of blue marbled and raw denim shell. I love their work and especially the fact that their owner Phil is an alumni of Horween Leather Co. and works very closely with them to source some of the most remarkable samples. Check out Ashland's Youtube channel if you haven't already (plus Instagram here).

I have not found a dedicated thread for small leather goods and/or everyday carry on Styleforum - WAYWRN being the closest thing? Maybe such a thread should be started.

I know Tanner Goods also uses Horween leathers and their products seem great as well. Incidentally, I just looked at their site for the first time today, even before seeing the post from @hses212.

I grabbed a wallet from Ashland's second private stock sale. This is my 3rd wallet from them and love them all. Phil is actually the one who got me into Grant Stone. He and Wyatt did a video together a few years back which caused me to try GS. Bonus Dune Ottawas in the background.

IMG_20211202_205202.jpg
IMG_20211202_205209.jpg
IMG_20211202_205205.jpg

Moeck14

Reaction score
Did you guys follow Grant Stone's sizing advice for the belts? I ordered a size up in 34. But it only fits the first hole. I'm a dead on size 32 waist, every 34 belt I've tried on does not fit. I"ll just go TTS next time.
I wear 33/34 in jeans and went with the 36 belt and was able to wear it on the middle hole

Sfemet

Reaction score
Speaking of wallets, I wonder if anyone bought one of the Ashland Leather wallets to put them over the line on Black Friday. If they had, that would have been a most excellent allocation of funds. The natural shell is especially appealing, as a matter of fact, I just picked up some goodies from Ashland over the weekend including an article in natural shell and whiskey shell as well as a very special piece of blue marbled and raw denim shell. I love their work and especially the fact that their owner Phil is an alumni of Horween Leather Co. and works very closely with them to source some of the most remarkable samples. Check out Ashland's Youtube channel if you haven't already (plus Instagram here).

I have not found a dedicated thread for small leather goods and/or everyday carry on Styleforum - WAYWRN being the closest thing? Maybe such a thread should be started.

I know Tanner Goods also uses Horween leathers and their products seem great as well. Incidentally, I just looked at their site for the first time today, even before seeing the post from @hses212.

I picked up a Tony the Ant during Ashland’s sale in English Dublin which is quite beautiful, my first wallet from them. The various shells were very tempting, perhaps next sale…

Love that money clip! How do you like it so far (if you’ve had a chance to try it out)? Considering one of those at some point for front pocket carry - the Tony is doable front pocket but for me feels more like a back pocket wallet in size.

541FD4F6-BF7E-4616-9C3A-0E79A5180BA8.jpeg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Tony the Ant during Ashland’s sale in English Dublin which is quite beautiful, my first wallet from them. The various shells were very tempting, perhaps next sale…

Love that money clip! How do you like it so far (if you’ve had a chance to try it out)? Considering one of those at some point for front pocket carry - the Tony is doable front pocket but for me feels more like a back pocket wallet in size.

View attachment 1714050
Nice! (even obligatory Grant Stone's in the background, hah!)

Today is only the first day I am carrying the Ashland money clip so I can't comment much, but it is easily worn in the front pocket. Coming from this ultra-thin magnetic money-clip wallet, the Ashland is actually a step up in thickness, so there is a little bit of pocket bulge. The clip mechanism will take some getting used to, but feels solid in hand. The piece is definitely slimmer than the full grain bifold wallet I have from Buffalo Jackson (made in Mexico).

A Tony the Ant like yours has been on my bucket list to try,the layout seems really thoughtful. If wearing back pocket anyway, I think the Fat Herbie will actually lay flatter since there aren't as many layers.

I don't think wallets like these are necessarily the most practical, much as a pair of loafers or cap-toe boots is likely going to give you less utility than an average work boot for most tasks. Rather, they offer a way to experience phenomenal leather and craftmanship on a daily basis.

Their next holiday drop lands at 5pm Central tonight... must resist. There are some insane pieces of marbled shell on the docket based on the latest Youtube video.

Sfemet

Reaction score

Today is only the first day I am carrying the Ashland money clip so I can't comment much, but it is easily worn in the front pocket. Coming from this ultra-thin magnetic money-clip wallet, the Ashland is actually a step up in thickness, so there is a little bit of pocket bulge. The clip mechanism will take some getting used to, but feels solid in hand. The piece is definitely slimmer than the full grain bifold wallet I have from Buffalo Jackson (made in Mexico).

A Tony the Ant like yours has been on my bucket list to try,the layout seems really thoughtful. If wearing back pocket anyway, I think the Fat Herbie will actually lay flatter since there aren't as many layers.

I don't think wallets like these are necessarily the most practical, much as a pair of loafers or cap-toe boots is likely going to give you less utility than an average work boot for most tasks. Rather, they offer a way to experience phenomenal leather and craftmanship on a daily basis.

Their next holiday drop lands at 5pm Central tonight... must resist. There are some insane pieces of marbled shell on the docket based on the latest Youtube video.

Hah, yes, good catch! My third day this week in the Forest Kudus; really enjoying them. Have some dune Ottawas coming in so I’m excited to try those out.

AB957146-B6A9-4EB1-843E-6357BE642A1A.jpeg

Yeah, the layout of the Tony is quite nice as you still get the cash slot. But you’re quite right, most days mine spends more time in my jacket pocket or on my desk than in pant pockets. So while you could get a more practical wallet for less, these offer distinct sensory pleasures. I will have to try the fat herbie at some point; between shoes and wallets my spending on leather the past couple weeks has been rather high, so will see if I can restrain myself from further purchases today. But then you never know…

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought two pairs of darn tough socks. Hiking socks in mid weight and a light weight. Definitely won't get these lifestyle as their just dress socks. I really should not look at this thread. Getting expensive!

For those who have the plain toe blutcher, are you the same size in boots or did you size down from your boot size?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My BF purchase just arrived at my door - crimson cxl chelsea that went onto my backlog the minute I read m635's post....bastard. I freaking love these things...
I've been enjoying mine as well - they were the only pair I took to Charleston for out Thanksgiving gathering, and they treated me very well! (but managed to not take any pix :facepalm:)

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ashland Leather, think it's called Johnny the Fox, use it in front pocket. Have a few Ashlands from Fat Herbie down to the little one that is basically a card holder, have found this one works the best for my purposes. Started out as saddle tan, getting some patina after a year or so.
IMG_9556.JPG

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought two pairs of darn tough socks. Hiking socks in mid weight and a light weight. Definitely won't get these lifestyle as their just dress socks. I really should not look at this thread. Getting expensive!

For those who have the plain toe blutcher, are you the same size in boots or did you size down from your boot size?
Best socks I've ever owned, Darn Tough & Icebreaker. Life time warranty which justifies it IMO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads