• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah it's hit or miss with cxl and at least it is on the shaft of the boot. Personally I would eat the $10 return fee on those because I wouldn't be happy with that in an unworn boot myself. Others may have a different tolerance level tho
Given it's 1) a boot and 2)CXL not a big deal at all for me, in fact I like my CXL to get to that level.

Moeck14

Reaction score
Given it's 1) a boot and 2)CXL not a big deal at all for me, in fact I like my CXL to get to that level.
Yep everyone will have their own individual preferences. For me I'd rather the Cxl get to that level through wear rather than new from the mfg.

Moeck14

Reaction score
End result, however, is CXL will get to that point. But I understand your comment.
Yeah I see it similar to raw denim. You can buy washed denim for cheaper but people pay extra for that unique pair of jeans that molds and fades through wear.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ottawa Dune CXL...I won the CXL lottery on these tanks....and these were F2's (I still cant fathom why) !!
@basu13 Basu da, hope this helps with the wait for your pair !!
20211202_104226.jpg
20211202_104206.jpg
20211202_104048.jpg
20211202_104120.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

basu13

Reaction score
Ottawa Dune CXL...I won the CXL lottery on these tanks....and these were F2's (I still cant fathom why) !!
@basu13 Basu da, hope this helps with the wait for your pair !!
View attachment 1713349 View attachment 1713351 View attachment 1713352 View attachment 1713353

Tirthak, those tankers look absolutely killer. Love the patina that they are gradually developing! ? Are you using Venetian balm on them?

By the way, details on the laces please? They contrast well with the natural CXL.

Mine are expected early next week, which is ok since I am travelling the rest of this week. Will be a nice new GS box waiting for me when I do get back!

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tirthak, those tankers look absolutely killer. Love the patina that they are gradually developing! ? Are you using Venetian balm on them?

By the way, details on the laces please? They contrast well with the natural CXL.

Mine are expected early next week, which is ok since I am travelling the rest of this week. Will be a nice new GS box waiting for me when I do get back!
These are 1.5 yrs old but not worn often due to a large part of WFH in the past 1.5yrs. So far I think I might have used one coat of Bick 4 but will try VSC at some point.

Laces are some cheap ones from AliExpress, they were cheap so I ordered a bunch in all the colours. Just search for 'cotton waxed shoelaces' and select the length required, I am using the 140cm versions on boots.

hses212

Reaction score
I was going to write some misinforming hate speech, but I'll leave an explicit wallet story instead. Sad that the new? warning is necessary on SF.

I've had this wallet for about five years and, given I keep my keep my wallet and keys in my right pocket (side note: don't keep your wallet in your back pocket, people), it was filthy from all kinds of auto grease/crud. Not to mention hand nastiness in general. It's been in salt and river water plenty of times and even been frozen when wet.

Anyway, I decided to hit it with the saddle soap. SO much dirt and oil came out of it I was shocked. It was looking worryingly dried out when done (as expected, I guess), so I gave it a good drenching with Lexol. Still swear by that stuff's ability to penetrate old, dried-out leather from using it on, well, old, dried-out leather car seats.

It was looking hydrated again, but pretty washed out (also as expected). Picked up some of the Grant Stone cream polish to hit the $400 mark in the recent sale and figured I'd give it a shot. Not sure what I had imagined it to be, but it's definitely creamy. And smells amazing.

Results were fantastic. Highly recommend you pick some up with your next purchase. No over-the-top gloss, no waxy stickiness, just a nice glow. I'd feel comfortable using it on any kind of smooth leather, even shell.

Finally, I'm loving these kangaroo Ottawas. Hope roo becomes a staple in the GS lineup. Need some grey roo chelseas for sure.

1.jpg
2.jpg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of wallets, I wonder if anyone bought one of the Ashland Leather wallets to put them over the line on Black Friday. If they had, that would have been a most excellent allocation of funds. The natural shell is especially appealing, as a matter of fact, I just picked up some goodies from Ashland over the weekend including an article in natural shell and whiskey shell as well as a very special piece of blue marbled and raw denim shell. I love their work and especially the fact that their owner Phil is an alumni of Horween Leather Co. and works very closely with them to source some of the most remarkable samples. Check out Ashland's Youtube channel if you haven't already (plus Instagram here).

I have not found a dedicated thread for small leather goods and/or everyday carry on Styleforum - WAYWRN being the closest thing? Maybe such a thread should be started.

I know Tanner Goods also uses Horween leathers and their products seem great as well. Incidentally, I just looked at their site for the first time today, even before seeing the post from @hses212.

20211202_092204.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of wallets, I wonder if anyone bought one of the Ashland Leather wallets to put them over the line on Black Friday. If they had, that would have been a most excellent allocation of funds. The natural shell is especially appealing, as a matter of fact, I just picked up some goodies from Ashland over the weekend including an article in natural shell and whiskey shell as well as a very special piece of blue marbled and raw denim shell. I love their work and especially the fact that their owner Phil is an alumni of Horween Leather Co. and works very closely with them to source some of the most remarkable samples. Check out Ashland's Youtube channel if you haven't already (plus Instagram here).

I have not found a dedicated thread for small leather goods and/or everyday carry on Styleforum - WAYWRN being the closest thing? Maybe such a thread should be started.

I know Tanner Goods also uses Horween leathers and their products seem great as well. Incidentally, I just looked at their site for the first time today, even before seeing the post from @hses212.

Ashland wallets are the best

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you guys follow Grant Stone's sizing advice for the belts? I ordered a size up in 34. But it only fits the first hole. I'm a dead on size 32 waist, every 34 belt I've tried on does not fit. I"ll just go TTS next time.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you guys follow Grant Stone's sizing advice for the belts? I ordered a size up in 34. But it only fits the first hole. I'm a dead on size 32 waist, every 34 belt I've tried on does not fit. I"ll just go TTS next time.
Considering your question, I think jeans size should be differentiated from waist size. I think Grant Stone assumes jeans sizing. For example I wear a 32 in almost all pants except for jeans where I prefer to take a 30. Also related is the subject of vanity sizing, a potentially frustrating practice of clothing labels. As an aside, measuring a pair of pants is the best way to truly know your size, ignoring labels. I would order a 32 belt if I purchased today from Grant Stone. That said, I have owned size 34 belts which fit perfectly and size 32 belts that are far too small. YMMV.

My Black Friday GS splurge was the Ashland Natural cordovan wallets and a CXL crimson belt. Just over the $400 mark and an excellent discount on the wallet. It’s going to patina beautifully.
Good deal there!

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear 30-31 pants and use the 2nd hole from the end on my size 32 Grant Stone belts typically.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads