• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may want to avoid the use of the word "shank" at the airport, hah.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
A couple of more shots of a boot we don't see posted here too often. Feeling like the fit is right, so into the wild with them this week.

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

fatsu

Reaction score
Bought my first pair of Grant Stone -- Dune CXL PTB. Actually, my first pair of nice leather shoes in general.

From the pictures I see of the shoe on actual people's feet, they look more brown than the oatmeal color of the studio pictures. Is there a trick to achieving this, or does it come naturally with wear?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bought my first pair of Grant Stone -- Dune CXL PTB. Actually, my first pair of nice leather shoes in general.

From the pictures I see of the shoe on actual people's feet, they look more brown than the oatmeal color of the studio pictures. Is there a trick to achieving this, or does it come naturally with wear?
They darken with wear. Patina Baby!

bigtimejackq

Reaction score

They will darken relatively quick, especially if you condition them with Venetian Balm or Saphir Renovateur. I try to keep mine looking lighter as long as possible.

Enjoy your first pair of Grant Stone shoes!

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
First day in the wild, walked 6 miles with no issues. These Vibram soles are soooo comfortable. Took me a long while to warm up to this style, but wow...going to rethink more Dainite or leather soled boots moving ahead (well, probably not, but you get the idea).

IMG_1963.jpg
IMG_1943.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be a stupid question , but here goes.

For those of you who have gone through airport security checks with Grant Stone boots on - do you set off the metal detector each time and if so, how do you explain a metal piece "hidden" inside your boot to the airport personnel?
I (used to) travel a ton, and I have learned to take them off. If I forget or whatever, I simply say there's steel in the boot construction. The word "shank" has never left my mouth in a million miles in the air over the last ten years. :rotflmao:

Generally, I'll travel in non-alarm shoes (sneakers or my AE chukkas that have a wood shank) and the GS shoes/boots are in the suitcase.

basu13

Reaction score
I (used to) travel a ton, and I have learned to take them off. If I forget or whatever, I simply say there's steel in the boot construction. The word "shank" has never left my mouth in a million miles in the air over the last ten years. :rotflmao:

Generally, I'll travel in non-alarm shoes (sneakers or my AE chukkas that have a wood shank) and the GS shoes/boots are in the suitcase.

Makes sense. I have only recently started wearing boots regularly and so have never really faced this issue since I use sneakers for air travel. Guess my GS will have to be consigned to the check in baggage till I reach my destination.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. I have only recently started wearing boots regularly and so have never really faced this issue since I use sneakers for air travel. Guess my GS will have to be consigned to the check in baggage till I reach my destination.
If you're TSA pre-check, it's worth it to not have to take off your shoes. If you're not, it isn't the end of the world to take 'em off. Speedlaces are a plus ;)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I AM the guy who mentioned a steel shank in my boots, when they set off the alarm. Had to explain boot construction to the rather unfriendly TSA person with a sidearm. I wear tennis shoes when flying now.

basu13

Reaction score
If you're TSA pre-check, it's worth it to not have to take off your shoes. If you're not, it isn't the end of the world to take 'em off. Speedlaces are a plus ;)

Well, I'm not in the US so TSA pre check is inapplicable for me. But where I live, similar security restrictions would apply so I'll err on the side of caution and sneaker it through airport security. :)

basu13

Reaction score
They darken with wear. Patina Baby!

Looking at all those patinated Dune CXL pics made me pull the trigger on my final pair (for the time being) of GS boots during this Black Friday sale. They are meandering their way across the Atlantic as we speak!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics