• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

basu13

Reaction score
Shouldn't have to do anything to new GS shoes, if anything the Renovateur is a cleaner/conditioner, and may change the color a tiny bit. Whatever you do, don't use Renomat! I have had my British Tan cap toes since they were first introduced, and all I have done is damp wipe, brush and store with trees in them. The spot on the toe is actually a reflection from the lights View attachment 1709938

Thanks. Do not own renomat in any case, just Renovateur and cream polish in my shoe care box .

Your captoes are looking sweet. By the way, mine are the captoe boots though, in the same leather . Eagerly waiting for UPS to turn up sometime today with them!

basu13

Reaction score
The third pickup for me during the Black Friday sale. British tan captoe boots - some pics fresh out of the box and first try-on inside the house. Really well built, as usual, and only slightly less "tank like" in feel than my Trickers Stows. Fit seems spot on though there will be some break in, especially compared to the soft Suede Ottawas which landed up last week.

These babies are going to shine and patina really well over time with some darker cream polish. Lovely aroma to the calf leather too!

This is probably one of the less popular models in the GS portfolio as compared to the CXL range, but I'd say it's a great choice for those who like their boots to carry a dressier aura. I can see this easily straddling casual and business casual equally competently.

IMG_20211126_224833.jpg
IMG_20211126_225135__01.jpg
IMG_20211126_225202__01.jpg
IMG_20211126_225949__01.jpg
IMG_20211126_230248__01.jpg

Last edited:

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
The third pickup for me during the Black Friday sale. British tan captoe boots - some pics fresh out of the box and first try-on inside the house. Really well built, as usual, and only slightly less "tank like" in feel than my Trickers Stows. Fit seems spot on though there will be some break in, especially compared to the soft Suede Ottawas which landed up last week.

These babies are going to shine and patina really well over time with some darker cream polish. Lovely aroma to the calf leather too!

This is probably one of the less popular models in the GS portfolio as compared to the CXL range, but I'd say it's a great choice for those who like their boots to carry a dressier aura. I can see this easily straddling casual and business casual equally competently.

View attachment 1710238 View attachment 1710239 View attachment 1710240 View attachment 1710241 View attachment 1710242

These are definitely a favorite. Still love my saddle tan veg Diesels, but I probably would have purchased these instead if I knew I was going to dislike leather soles. But they have been out of stock of the cap toe in my size for a while.

For our weather here in California, I like that the GS are not so overbuilt as my Trickers or Vibergs, and have a bit of a lighter feel. I favor them on warm days.

Last edited:

basu13

Reaction score
Couple of quick observations on the tan captoes. The rubber soles are definitely a couple of notches more flexible and lighter than the Dainites on my Trickers and so the break in should be quicker and easier. Stitching in welt and other areas are very clean and well done.

Checked with Wyatt and he recommends Renovateur and Saphir cream polish with this leather.

Happy that this tan works well with denim.

IMG_20211127_102546__01.jpg

basu13

Reaction score
So, after having experienced the quality and fit of the suede Ottawas and the tan captoe boots, Im sold on Grant Stone. I had been eyeing the dune (natural) CXL leather for quite sometime.

After some thought, I put in an order for the dune Ottawas. I think the patina that they develop is truly lovely. Probably going a little overboard with the spate of purchases during the Black Friday sale, but these things will last for years - so, kind of easier to justify the money spent:cool:

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yes- that's exactly the kind of patina I was dreaming about when I pulled the trigger on the Dunes. Your Ottawas look awesome!

Is that just natural/unaided evolution or do you use VSC at regular intervals?
It's au naturale.

basu13

Reaction score
Might be a stupid question , but here goes.

For those of you who have gone through airport security checks with Grant Stone boots on - do you set off the metal detector each time and if so, how do you explain a metal piece "hidden" inside your boot to the airport personnel?

SoundBrewer

Reaction score
Might be a stupid question , but here goes.

For those of you who have gone through airport security checks with Grant Stone boots on - do you set off the metal detector each time and if so, how do you explain a metal piece "hidden" inside your boot to the airport personnel?
I’ve set off metal detectors regularly in mine, but usually an explanation or removal of the boots is sufficient. Worst case is having to remove your shoes in a situation you might not otherwise be required to.

dah8

Reaction score
I’ve set off metal detectors regularly in mine, but usually an explanation or removal of the boots is sufficient. Worst case is having to remove your shoes in a situation you might not otherwise be required to.

*TSA metal detector goes off*

Your explanation: There's a steel shank in my boots.
--

So how does that work out at the airport?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics