• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

basu13

Reaction score
The more I gaze at the suede Ottawa models, the more I am falling in love with them. Wyatt, a request to bring out these suede Ottawas in a dark hunter/forest green suede (something like the Forest kudu shade, but darker, almost blacking green). I would be all over them as soon as they are released! Make it a limited run if need be, but please do it :)

There was a limited run Tanker boot from Alden in that shade some time back, and I am really hoping you guys can come up with something to rival that at your much more sensible price point.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Short of the legal weirdness around kangaroo leather becoming a national phenomenon, I can't imagine these won't be back. I mean, I think they're going to require a commitment - wear them often, wear them in a lot of different situations and let them tell a story. Maybe that's not for everyone, and the starting point is a bit stark - like a blank canvas. But boy I'm looking forward to seeing what the art looks like...

The closes thing I can equate these too in terms of initial impact is unglazed shell. Reading around it seems I'm not the first person to have that thought, and it appears the patina process here gets going pretty fast.

this is pretty much exactly my take as well. I’m planning to use my pair quite a bit through the winter to see how they evolve. The grain and markings are interesting, almost slightly kudu-ish but the creasing seems like it will be subtle. Not quite shell, but perhaps more of a roll than a crease like you’d expect from calf. From what I’ve been able to tell from the few older non gs pairs I’ve seen they patina pretty quickly and take on a deeper golden color, whereas now they are a bit pale looking.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is pretty much exactly my take as well. I’m planning to use my pair quite a bit through the winter to see how they evolve. The grain and markings are interesting, almost slightly kudu-ish but the creasing seems like it will be subtle. Not quite shell, but perhaps more of a roll than a crease like you’d expect from calf. From what I’ve been able to tell from the few older non gs pairs I’ve seen they patina pretty quickly and take on a deeper golden color, whereas now they are a bit pale looking.
The color reminds me a lot of the old Natty CXL that Alden used, when it was available. Bet they age wonderfully.

Moeck14

Reaction score
This is interesting, from what I've read kangaroo is supposed to crease very heavily. Maybe the lining GS uses provides extra structure to reduce the impact of the creasing

jam tangan

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Moeck14,]
This is interesting, from what I've read kangaroo is supposed to crease very heavily. Maybe the lining GS uses provides extra structure to reduce the impact of the creasing
[/QUOTE]

lining is thinner than a millimeter.
don’t think this is possible in principle.
otherwise it had to be at least 1 millimeter thick,
and the boot is glued. which is unacceptable for the GS level.
it's hard to even imagine that.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Yah, I don't know? Can't see the lining as a factor. Perhaps it's a misconception or it varies. Here are some examples - none of these are mine

Kkstpattisday

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Moeck14,]

[/QUOTE]
Dude you don’t make any sense. I have grown weary of your quips and criticism. Are you a troll because we all like grant stone here. Post something here when you get a pair of boots from the boys in Michigan or cut the crap Jam. We have all tried to help you. Don’t write drivel about what you haven’t put on your feet or for some obscure reason continue to over analyze. This forum is for celebrating great fits with pics. M635Guy those shoes are just gorgeous! My GS chukkas are in the middle!

Attachments

• F5CD2487-FAC4-4132-A648-EBC74391DDB2.jpeg
    F5CD2487-FAC4-4132-A648-EBC74391DDB2.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 61

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish the natural kangaroo was available in EEE really like that color.

maybe we can get a burgundy kudu or kangaroo in the future.

jam tangan

Reaction score
Dude you don’t make any sense. I have grown weary of your quips and criticism. Are you a troll because we all like grant stone here. Post something here when you get a pair of boots from the boys in Michigan or cut the crap Jam. We have all tried to help you. Don’t write drivel about what you haven’t put on your feet or for some obscure reason continue to over analyze. This forum is for celebrating great fits with pics. M635Guy those shoes are just gorgeous! My GS chukkas are in the middle!
[/QUOTE]

English is not my native language.
grammar is the foundation of any language.
perhaps the answer for Moeck14 was poorly formulated by me.
but my answer was that it was not possible with padding to solve the lack of folds on the outer skin of the boots.
otherwise, you have to do what the reputable brand (including GS) will not do. never.
re-read the Moeck14 question. then my answer for him. and finally again this (my current) post.
Taking this opportunity, I once again express my deep gratitude to the members of the forum, who paid attention to me on the issue of size-chart.
and I wish you pleasant experiences.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more I gaze at the suede Ottawa models, the more I am falling in love with them. Wyatt, a request to bring out these suede Ottawas in a dark hunter/forest green suede (something like the Forest kudu shade, but darker, almost blacking green). I would be all over them as soon as they are released! Make it a limited run if need be, but please do it :)

There was a limited run Tanker boot from Alden in that shade some time back, and I am really hoping you guys can come up with something to rival that at your much more sensible price point.
0DB4A908-3720-4FA9-9499-AC7BA6187C6E.jpeg
D5699D2C-8CE2-4F53-AC4F-90CEEB64FE57.jpeg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got me to thinking, has anyone put a half lug commando sole and heel toplift on the bourbon suede Ottawa? Man... that'd be worth gazing at. :drool:

@jam tangan Some things may have been lost in translation, but as they say - all's well that ends well. ?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got me to thinking, has anyone put a half lug commando sole and heel toplift on the bourbon suede Ottawa? Man... that'd be worth gazing at. :drool:
Um... yeah. Despite the very-specific pondering, I happen to have a pair from the Olof collab that my buddy had Aram at AH One put that setup on... ;)

I'll try to get some pix. (spoiler: they look great)

Niels Vanhee

Reaction score
Hello all, new here and was wondering if I could have the input of the forum.

So after months of drooling over GS boots I finally gave in an ordered my first pair. I’m just in love with the look of jungle kangaroo.

Since I’m from Belgium and returns exchanges are always a painfully expensive experience I mailed GS to ask sizing advice. I included my measurements so they could give a more accurate assessment.

Parker from GS replied and was really nice to deal with and said a 8,5D would be good for me.

Today they arrived and they are even more beautiful than i expected, love the packaging and all! Lovely experience.

But… They are too small. Left is really really tight and the right is just too small in general, my foot just doesn’t fit in.

That sucks, especially since I sent my measurements to be certain. I expected a maybe boot sized a tiny bit too large but certainly never too small, since I assume the insole can be measured.

So what do I do now?

If I return I’m out another 45$ shipping and I don’t know if I can recuperate the VAT, import tax and original shipping (almost 200$ combined). Or I could ask for an exchange and again have to pay shipping VAT, import and return shipping… (i could be nearing 800$ total for the boots all said and done)

I really love the boots and I really want a good pair of GS, but my brain says I should just cut my losses and cry a little ?

Any advice would be welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads