• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
completely agree with you, comrade. and for now I follow the algorithm that you described.
but thoughts about the GS do not leave. because there is no better price-quality-view ratio.
Grenson (line g-2, made in India) were chosen in a similar way:
8,5uk - off; 9uk - close but no hit, 9,5uk - a little-little loose, but great.
I apologize for the quality of the photo. the telephone is from another era, a push-button.

Buying mail order shoes is inherently risky as far as fit goes. The efforts you have taken are a good way to mitigate risk but it is a fools errand to think that you can be perfectly sized 100% of the time with a remote fitting. I suspect that the majority of people buying shoes over the internet have mis-sized purchases. Perhaps frequently!

You have now solicited input from GS and also here. You don't seem to want to accept the feedback that you've received so far. I think at this juncture it might be beneficial for you to consider what input you need to get comfortable with a decision. Is there anything more anyone can do to assist you? Is there anything anyone can tell you that will cause you to reach a definitive conclusion here?

Respectfully, at this juncture, I think the best thing that you can do is either to just buy a pair and hope for the best OR take the advice that you'd been given earlier to determine your brannock size and get properly fitted in several more common, well known brands (Allen Edmonds, Alden, C&J, Trickers, Edward Green, Viberg, etc.). Have you done that yet? If not, why not? This will be invaluable for further confirming your GS size. Short of taking these affirmative steps to get better data on your fit in other brands, I am just not sure what you hope to accomplish at this point.

jam tangan

Reaction score
Buying mail order shoes is inherently risky as far as fit goes. The efforts you have taken are a good way to mitigate risk but it is a fools errand to think that you can be perfectly sized 100% of the time with a remote fitting. I suspect that the majority of people buying shoes over the internet have mis-sized purchases. Perhaps frequently!

You have now solicited input from GS and also here. You don't seem to want to accept the feedback that you've received so far. I think at this juncture it might be beneficial for you to consider what input you need to get comfortable with a decision. Is there anything more anyone can do to assist you? Is there anything anyone can tell you that will cause you to reach a definitive conclusion here?

Respectfully, at this juncture, I think the best thing that you can do is either to just buy a pair and hope for the best OR take the advice that you'd been given earlier to determine your brannock size and get properly fitted in several more common, well known brands (Allen Edmonds, Alden, C&J, Trickers, Edward Green, Viberg, etc.). Have you done that yet? If not, why not? This will be invaluable for further confirming your GS size. Short of taking these affirmative steps to get better data on your fit in other brands, I am just not sure what you hope to accomplish at this point.

you state everything correctly.
in order not to torment you and colleagues, I will summarize the summary:

1) GS: take less than 1/2 of the brannock.
2) colleague on the forum: buy two pairs. and send back the worst fit. in my case it will be 10(us)E and 10,5(us)D.
3) Alden from $ 500; Viberg from $ 700; EG from $ 1000 - expensive for experiments. better then directly from the GS.
AE has a lot of complaints about quality, and this story is already 10 years old. GS is better than AE.

but I will correct you a little: I have not received an answer about the length of the inner insole (last), sane answer.
I have a doubt that the answer of the GS manager (10 = 295mm, 10,5 = 300mm) is correct.

and then. I said that my size is 9,5(uk) F. well, so it seems to me at the moment.
but could not get information to another my question. about the compliance of the GS(us)sizing vs UK-sizing.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
you state everything correctly.
in order not to torment you and colleagues, I will summarize the summary:

1) GS: take less than 1/2 of the brannock.
2) colleague on the forum: buy two pairs. and send back the worst fit. in my case it will be 10(us)E and 10,5(us)D.
3) Alden from $ 500; Viberg from $ 700; EG from $ 1000 - expensive for experiments. better then directly from the GS.
AE has a lot of complaints about quality, and this story is already 10 years old. GS is better than AE.

but I will correct you a little: I have not received an answer about the length of the inner insole (last), sane answer.
I have a doubt that the answer of the GS manager (10 = 295mm, 10,5 = 300mm) is correct.

You didn't answer any of my questions. Please do so when time permits. I think it's necessary for you to provide more information at this point before anyone will be able to further assist you here. I'm trying to understand why you haven't done that yet and/or if there is something more that you hope to learn from us? Just to reiterate, I encouraged you to get FITTED in shoes like Alden, Viberg, EG, AE... not necessarily to buy them. The relative prices or your perception of their quality is not relevant.

As to your last comment - the length of the insole is among the least useful metrics for sizing. I think this was already explained earlier. Why would you think this is more useful then getting your brannock size from a shoe store and getting properly fitted at a shoe store in well known brands/models of shoes?

jam tangan

Reaction score
several of your questions seemed rhetorical to me. and when asked about brands,
I answered: the costs are high. I can't afford it. Moreover, I have given a summary
of the advice I received. it remains only to buy and tell on the forum what happened.
well, something like this.
I am aware that I cannot count on an online consultation - a 100% ready-made solution.
already understood that the length of the insole is not a guarantee. but this is my way of
getting the idea. I no longer expect answers to my two questions.
thanks, have a good day!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I answered: the costs are high. I can't afford it. Moreover, I have given a summary
of the advice I received. it remains only to buy and tell on the forum what happened.
I am aware that I cannot count on an online consultation - a 100% ready-made solution.
already understood that the length of the insole is not a guarantee. but this is my way of
thanks, have a good day!

My questions were truly not rhetorical. I'm not sure if there might be a communication issue here or a lack of experience but in either case it would be worth your time to carefully evaluate the recommendations that you have been given.

Do you know what it means to measure your brannock size? This is a common/standard device that you step on to measure your feet - the width, the length, and the heel to ball length. It is useful and should require minimal effort to get this information.

When I recommended that you get FITTED in common brands that was not a suggestion to go BUY them. It was to physically go to a store and try various sizes on your feet to see which sizes fits you best. The price of the shoe does not matter. The quality of the shoe does not matter. You are collecting useful information that could be helpful for a later purchase with that brand OR for sizing yourself with GS.

Does this make sense to you?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, have a good day!
Jam - this is very simple. Get a Brannock measurement. There are printable sheets than can achieve this for you. Once you have that, go 1/2 down. The measurement you're asking for will not be useful to you. It's as likely to push you in the wrong direction as anything.

In my experience, Converse and Vans sneakers fit pretty close to TTS for length (though they're a bit narrow).

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I'm learning from this discussion at least (regarding sizing).

I actually just bought a Brannock Device and it's great having one around for not just myself, but family and friends. Seems they are impossible to find anymore in my local stores.

As an aside, I am getting a peculiar joy out of the way our good comrade words each of his posts. Perhaps I'm also a fellow over-analyzer. Eventually, though, one must take the proverbial plunge and place an order!

Also... that burgundy Brass Boot's surprisingly suave.

jam tangan

Reaction score
Didn't realize NYCtechnerd got a new account.

read his messages. yes, the style looks like. and it's quite funny.
the same existential torment. and looking for the truth and the grail.
the more fun the forum. without people like us it would be boring.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
read his messages. yes, the style looks like. and it's quite funny.
the same existential torment. and looking for the truth and the grail.
the more fun the forum. without people like us it would be boring.

Just my opinion, but when “existential torment” and “shoes” intersect, I think it’s probably time for a break.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like the brass boot is difficult to photograph and or video. In some angles the toe box is bolbous but in other angles it's not.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
375px-001Bulbasaur.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads