• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jam tangan

Reaction score
I'm an 8E (UK; size printed in the boot/on the box) in the Crockett & Jones 325 last, an 8.5E in the GS Leo.

E(uk) is narrow.
as far as I understand: F(uk) = D(us); G(uk) = E(us).

for example, my comfortable size is 9,5(uk)F in dress-shoes;
and in 9,5(uk)G in boots (no other width). they are a little loose in the toe, but it doesn't bother me.
thanks to the high lacing, the boots do not dangle. and to some extent I like it:
I do not like a tight fit either in clothes or in shoes.

I assume, that due to the slightly more space in the toes, the GS-leo-last D(us) in the toe =
= is the middle between F(uk) and G(uk). or closer to G(uk).

Last edited:

basu13

Reaction score
E(uk) is narrow.

and in 9,5ukG in boots (no other width). they are a little loose, but it doesn't bother me. thanks to the high lacing, the boots do not dangle.

Not always true. Depends on the last. For instance , the 4497s last (English country last) on the Trickers Stow in F width (non-wide width, what Trickers calls 5 fitting) is pretty generous and roomy to start with and is more comparable to a US E width than a US D width.

Nomenclature is pretty confusing if you ask me.

Last edited:

jam tangan

Reaction score
Another criterion for the correct fit is the spacing of the uppers of boots (lacing).
the truth is, it is rather an aesthetic indicator. and yet.
I don't find skinny uppers boots terrible.
but a spread of 2.5 cm or more is an indicator that the shoes are small. and it's not very pretty.

https://dappered.com/2021/07/in-review-grant-stone-chukka-boots-in-earth-waxed-suede/

мне нравится, как здесь выглядит (хорошо):
https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwe...tial_impressions_grant_stone_bluchers_dune_b/

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/9jhk5v/initial_impressions_grant_stone_crimson_cxl/

last photo:

Last edited:

Olof69

Reaction score
Another criterion for the correct fit is the spacing of the uppers of boots (lacing).

No it is not. Diesel boot will always have a wider gap than Edward, simply because Edward has larger quarters.
Both will fit just fine.

Some Vibergs are notorious for having the widest gap of all, but this is by design.

Kkstpattisday

Reaction score
the truth is, it is rather an aesthetic indicator. and yet.
I don't find skinny uppers boots terrible.
but a spread of 2.5 cm or more is an indicator that the shoes are small. and it's not very pretty.

https://dappered.com/2021/07/in-review-grant-stone-chukka-boots-in-earth-waxed-suede/

мне нравится, как здесь выглядит (хорошо):
https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwe...tial_impressions_grant_stone_bluchers_dune_b/

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/9jhk5v/initial_impressions_grant_stone_crimson_cxl/

last photo:
Hey Jam you are complicating everything. After seeing your posts for awhile now I think you require a in person fitting and Grant Stone can not satisfy this need. Move on from Grant Stone for the time being and get something that satisfies your feet in person at a brick and mortar in your neck of the woods. I am sure there is a good year welted plain toe shoe that you can try on where you live. If grant stone is the end all be all then you will have to take a chance on choosing the wrong size and the complications that go along with that. Plus what did Randy say to you or have you not contacted him? The web site info is a suggestion but Randy is a wealth of knowledge. Talk with that man Jam.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
E(uk) is narrow.

and in 9,5(uk)G in boots (no other width). they are a little loose in the toe, but it doesn't bother me.
thanks to the high lacing, the boots do not dangle. and to some extent I like it:
I do not like a tight fit either in clothes or in shoes.

I assume, that due to the slightly more space in the toes, the GS-leo-last D(us) in the toe =
= is the middle between F(uk) and G(uk). or closer to G(uk).

I agree with basu13 that this is not always the case. In the case of the C&J 325 last, like on their amazing Coniston boot, the standard fitting is E, and it certainly would not be considered "narrow." It is definitely wider than the Grant Stone D. I can do the 325 just fine in the standard 8E, but need the 8.5E in the Leo, and it is just barely wide enough for me (EEE is too wide). I've said it here many times, the Leo last runs narrow IMFO (in my foot's opinion).

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to read all of the back and forth but the people at Grant stone know what they are talking about. I would go with their advice. Instead of spending full price on a pair of boots. I would buy used to get my sizing down. Sure you're taking a risk but it's better than paying full price and it not fitting.

Or you can buy full price and send it back for an exchange. I understand everyone's feet are different but go with the suggestion of the Maker. They know their product

jam tangan

Reaction score
Hey Jam you are complicating everything. After seeing your posts for awhile now I think you require a in person fitting and Grant Stone can not satisfy this need. Move on from Grant Stone for the time being and get something that satisfies your feet in person at a brick and mortar in your neck of the woods. I am sure there is a good year welted plain toe shoe that you can try on where you live. If grant stone is the end all be all then you will have to take a chance on choosing the wrong size and the complications that go along with that. Plus what did Randy say to you or have you not contacted him? The web site info is a suggestion but Randy is a wealth of knowledge. Talk with that man Jam.

completely agree with you, comrade. and for now I follow the algorithm that you described.
but thoughts about the GS do not leave. because there is no better price-quality-view ratio.
Grenson (line g-2, made in India) were chosen in a similar way:
8,5uk - off; 9uk - close but no hit, 9,5uk - a little-little loose, but great.
I apologize for the quality of the photo. the telephone is from another era, a push-button.

Attachments

• IMG_20211022_181000-2.jpg
    IMG_20211022_181000-2.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 46

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I'm not going to read all of the back and forth but the people at Grant stone know what they are talking about. I would go with their advice. Instead of spending full price on a pair of boots. I would buy used to get my sizing down. Sure you're taking a risk but it's better than paying full price and it not fitting.

Or you can buy full price and send it back for an exchange. I understand everyone's feet are different but go with the suggestion of the Maker. They know their product

Amen

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads