• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fiely

Reaction score
This is my experience as well.

I also think the walls of the heels for derbies are too low / shallow to grip the heels. @GrantStone Any recommendation to alleviate that?

Yeah the heel wall feel shallow for me as well. It's about 1/2" shorter than my AE dress shoes. I also think the heel cup should lean inward to help lock down the heel like this, instead of curving like this

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Yeah the heel wall feel shallow for me as well. It's about 1/2" shorter than my AE dress shoes. I also think the heel cup should lean inward to help lock down the heel like this, instead of curving like this

Yep, I agree about the heel cupping. Every pair of my vintage Florsheim gunboats have this curve cupping.

/spoiler

1634523755331.png

/spoiler

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is my experience as well.

I also think the walls of the heels for derbies are too low / shallow to grip the heels. @GrantStone Any recommendation to alleviate that?

It really is a combination of the instep + the heel. The leather heel counter plays a role as the shoe breaks in, this generally does improve when there is a concern. Otherwise, some will add tongue pads and find this helps.

There are shoes that have more of an aggressive heel but this has its downfalls as well. Depending on the individual it can bite the back of your heel. I have this happen on a few shoes depending on the pattern/last and need to wear specific socks or avoid them altogether. When you can find a last and pattern that works well, hold on to it!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got three Grant Stone wears in this week:
iqJV9PE.jpg

dD7QEw4.jpg

And stupidly un-photographed, a wear for the Chelsea boots. All three pairs were great!

We've been out and about a lot this week car-shopping for my middle son and/or my wife. It's a freakin' mess out there terrible, beat, high-mileage and often salvage-title cars at premium prices. We considered buying new and passing things down, but it's crazy-hard to find choice of configs. However, I did get compliments from two different guys at the dealer on my Chelsea boots! :rotflmao:

When you can find a last and pattern that works well, hold on to it!

A big +1 on this. Fit is King. I've gone through a whole lot of shoes over the years from various makers, dominated by AE, Alden and Grant Stone, but a smattering of others. There are few AE lasts that fit me well, and there are examples where a shoe that fits me well in one pattern in the AE 5-last (size 11.5E for me) doesn't fit well on a different pattern in the same size. Alden's Leydon last fits on my foot in 11.5D and 12D, but is only truly comfortable in 11.5E. Alden's Barrie last and the Leo last from Grant Stone, on the other hand, appear to be universally awesome for me in 11.5D. With the leather heel counter, I'll give Leo an edge for comfort - it's pretty amazing how the fit transforms in the first wear or two, and the shape of the toe box suits me perfectly.

basu13

Reaction score
Sizing question for experienced GS boot users. My foot measures 26 cm (10.24 inches) in length and 10.5 cm (4.14 inches) in width. On a Brannock scale conversion chart that is available online, that converts to Size 9E. I wear a Trickers Stow in 8.5 F UK (F is normal and not wide width) which is a tiny bit roomy but comfortable with thicker socks. Hence, size 8UK should also fit me. The Trickers 4497S is of course a generous last.

Question : would 8.5 D suit me or would 8.5 E be a better fit in the Leo last (specifically looking at the Ottawa boots or the cap toe boot as my first purchase)? To put it differently, is the D width in Leo last roomy enough to accommodate a 10.5 cm foot width (Brannock E width), or would it be more advisable to opt for the E width? I prefer a snug fit, and don't like the forefoot flopping around at the ball/toe area.

Have written to GS, but would still want a second view from members here.

Some advice would be really appreciated. I am not in the US or anywhere close, so return/exchange is not an option for me - so would like to get the fit spot on first time around (who wouldnt, lol)!

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure without knowing the shape of your feet. My brannock size is 9.5D but even going with the standard 9D squishes my pinky toes a bit. I believe the vast majority of people are fine going down 1/2 size so my issues are not necessarily the norm. I would be concerned about going down both 1/2 size and a width. That doesn't mean it can't work for you, of course. Maybe it works great with the shape of your feet.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@basu13 I could recommend you a specific size but instead go with the size Grant Stone recommends and just exchange them if you don't like the fit. Or buy two and return the other so you can compare fit side by side. In the latter case there may be a restocking fee (rightly so).

I do tend to err on the larger side like Erik because of hotspots around the toes.

basu13

Reaction score
I'm not really sure without knowing the shape of your feet. My brannock size is 9.5D but even going with the standard 9D squishes my pinky toes a bit.
If you wouldn't mind sharing it, would you know what the width of your foot at the ball is? Mine is 10.5 cm and just about E. Would yours be narrower than this?

basu13

Reaction score
@basu13 I could recommend you a specific size but instead go with the size Grant Stone recommends and just exchange them if you don't like the fit. Or buy two and return the other so you can compare fit side by side. In the latter case there may be a restocking fee (rightly so).
Thank you. Unfortunately, I am in Asia and hence buying two and returning one is not really feasible. I have reached out to GS.

My only worry about going for the E width instead of D is that my foot should not be swimming around in the shoe because I choose the wider width. If the GS E width corresponds with the Brannock E, I should be ok.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing question for experienced GS boot users. My foot measures 26 cm (10.24 inches) in length and 10.5 cm (4.14 inches) in width. On a Brannock scale conversion chart that is available online, that converts to Size 9E. I wear a Trickers Stow in 8.5 F UK (F is normal and not wide width) which is a tiny bit roomy but comfortable with thicker socks. Hence, size 8UK should also fit me. The Trickers 4497S is of course a generous last.

Question : would 8.5 D suit me or would 8.5 E be a better fit in the Leo last (specifically looking at the Ottawa boots or the cap toe boot as my first purchase)? To put it differently, is the D width in Leo last roomy enough to accommodate a 10.5 cm foot width (Brannock E width), or would it be more advisable to opt for the E width? I prefer a snug fit, and don't like the forefoot flopping around at the ball/toe area.

Have written to GS, but would still want a second view from members here.

Some advice would be really appreciated. I am not in the US or anywhere close, so return/exchange is not an option for me - so would like to get the fit spot on first time around (who wouldnt, lol)!

My advice is to go for a 8.5E

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Unfortunately, I am in Asia and hence buying two and returning one is not really feasible. I have reached out to GS.

My only worry about going for the E width instead of D is that my foot should not be swimming around in the shoe because I choose the wider width. If the GS E width corresponds with the Brannock E, I should be ok.
1/2 down and your standard width is the standard recommendation. I am a dead-nuts 12D (my size in everything that is TTS), and 11.5D in Leo is magical for me. I think they map extremely strongly to Brannock other than the 1/2 down. Based on your post it does sound like 8.5E is the most-likely fit, though since they have vastly more knowledge of their lasts since Wyatt's dad is the creator of them (if I understand it right), and obviously they live their product.

When in doubt, I'd shoot for bigger than smaller. I've gone up a half-size in a couple Alden pairs for rare shell, and then take up the volume with a thin Pedag Angora insert, which works perfectly for me. Going with a D, even in the relatively-generous Leo last, sounds risky.

There are a few Alden retailers in Asia - I've been to a couple in Tokyo and Tassels in HK - if there's any chance to visit one you could try a Barrie-lasted shoe and get a direct reference-point for Leo. They aren't exactly the same (I generally find Leo a bit more supportive in the mid-foot and a slightly roomier toe, and overall a hair more comfortable), but sizing is the same for nearly everyone. Asia tends to stock wider sizes too. (You'll be out of luck if you're a 12D Brannock like me though - lol)

Ultimately, I'd trust their sizing input entirely if you can give them sizing of other shoes/boots that works for you (and what doesn't for that matter).

basu13

Reaction score
1/2 down and your standard width is the standard recommendation. I am a dead-nuts 12D (my size in everything that is TTS), and 11.5D in Leo is magical for me. I think they map extremely strongly to Brannock other than the 1/2 down. Based on your post it does sound like 8.5E is the most-likely fit, though since they have vastly more knowledge of their lasts since Wyatt's dad is the creator of them (if I understand it right), and obviously they live their product.

When in doubt, I'd shoot for bigger than smaller. I've gone up a half-size in a couple Alden pairs for rare shell, and then take up the volume with a thin Pedag Angora insert, which works perfectly for me. Going with a D, even in the relatively-generous Leo last, sounds risky.

There are a few Alden retailers in Asia - I've been to a couple in Tokyo and Tassels in HK - if there's any chance to visit one you could try a Barrie-lasted shoe and get a direct reference-point for Leo. They aren't exactly the same (I generally find Leo a bit more supportive in the mid-foot and a slightly roomier toe, and overall a hair more comfortable), but sizing is the same for nearly everyone. Asia tends to stock wider sizes too. (You'll be out of luck if you're a 12D Brannock like me though - lol)

Ultimately, I'd trust their sizing input entirely if you can give them sizing of other shoes/boots that works for you (and what doesn't for that matter).

Thank you, that was very informative. Josh at GS did come back and suggest 8.5 E. Given that I have a relatively high volume foot at the ball (25 cm circumference), I would tend to agree that E will be a better fit than D.

jam tangan

Reaction score
gs-from-Waytt.png

ecco-lisbon-vs-.jpg

there is a nuance:

the profile of the GS-shoes is lower in comparison with the models of other brands. I'm talking about the vamp area, this also needs to be taken into account. second: the toe also has a difference - a strong bevel like a "duck-beak". and, judging by the pictures, at a size of 10,5us, the length of the bevel is ~ 2 cm from the beginning of the toe. those, after 2 cm, the maximum height of the toe is found.

all stock photos GS-shoes have a marketing "trick" - the photo was taken + 5-10% above the horizon. therefore the profile seems to be relatively high. but this is not the case. As an example, I used a profile photo of Wyatt's shoes.

I used Ecco-Lisbon (in 9,5 uk = 10,5 us) as an antagonist. you can compare with any favorite and more noble model in manufacture and history. I will assume you get a similar impression.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads