• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dune LWB for today.

20211001_120128.jpg
20211001_120143.jpg
20211001_120201.jpg
20211001_120236.jpg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day wearing the 8EEE crimson CXL cap toe boots. Likely will order another pair today. Either bourbon suede Diesel or black CXL Ottawa.

I don't really notice any notable heel slip compared to my 9D pair despite my 9.5D brannock size. There is certainly more space though. Kind of like when I had Indy boots there was noticeable play side to side, but my heel didn't slip upward when the laces were well tightened. Overall my toes are considerably happier. They no longer feel cramped.

EF608FE4-32EF-40BA-9ED6-2B048BC5575B.jpeg 0E1F9C54-A0AB-498E-BAE4-50E637CBC5A2.jpeg 8CDF102C-16AD-4144-9CBA-85F35BC4A690.jpeg

Last edited:

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day wearing the 8EEE crimson CXL cap toe boots. Likely will order another pair today. Either bourbon suede Diesel or black CXL Ottawa.

I don't really notice any notable heel slip compared to my 9D pair despite my 9.5D brannock size. There is certainly more space though. Kind of like when I had Indy boots there was noticeable play side to side, but my heel didn't slip upward when the laces were well tightened. Overall my toes are considerably happier. They no longer feel cramped.

View attachment 1678212 View attachment 1678213 View attachment 1678214
Those are sweet !!
If it helps you decide...here is some inspiration for Black CXL Ottawas !!
20210715_103955.jpg
20210715_103928.jpg
20210715_104059.jpg
20210715_104507.jpg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
I just got my 11.5 loden suede diesel boots and I gotta say: wow. The shade of green is perfect (low key but definitely green).

One curiosity, and you can see this on the website, is that the loden suedes don’t have that additional layer of welting (maybe?) between the upper and the sole. If you look at pictures of the, say, bourbon suede or crimson CXL, they have that additional layer. Consequently, the loden suede is noticeably smaller/shorter. I think it may even be smaller/shorter taking that into account, but that could be normal variation.

I’m not complaining—the only problem I’ve had with my other 11.5s is them being a little too long, so a slightly shorter 11.5 is perfect for me. So this fits me even better.

Can anyone more fluent in boot construction tell me what I’m seeing here with this phantom layer?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my 11.5 loden suede diesel boots and I gotta say: wow. The shade of green is perfect (low key but definitely green).

One curiosity, and you can see this on the website, is that the loden suedes don’t have that additional layer of welting (maybe?) between the upper and the sole. If you look at pictures of the, say, bourbon suede or crimson CXL, they have that additional layer. Consequently, the loden suede is noticeably smaller/shorter. I think it may even be smaller/shorter taking that into account, but that could be normal variation.

I’m not complaining—the only problem I’ve had with my other 11.5s is them being a little too long, so a slightly shorter 11.5 is perfect for me. So this fits me even better.

Can anyone more fluent in boot construction tell me what I’m seeing here with this phantom layer?
Are you talking about the storm welt? If so, that is mainly used to try and keep extra water/dirt from entering between the upper and the welt, IIRC. Some styles have it, others don’t. Makes the shoes a bit more casual/rugged

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Are you talking about the storm welt? If so, that is mainly used to try and keep extra water/dirt from entering between the upper and the welt, IIRC. Some styles have it, others don’t. Makes the shoes a bit more casual/rugged
That may be it. I wonder why some styles have and some don’t.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That may be it. I wonder why some styles have and some don’t.
Probably comes down to what the powers that be think looks best for that particular makeup and perhaps some customer feedback as well? It's only more recently that they've started doing flat welts sometimes.

Last edited:

Olof69

Reaction score

Basically, these are just different types of welts. A quick web search for flat welt vs storm welt vs split reverse welt will answer most of your questions.

Olof69

Reaction score
I really can't remember storm welt used by Grant Stone, usually its either flat or split reverse welt, but maybe I missed something.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely interested in color 8 boots as well. I forgot about those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads