• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Today, GS Diesel plain-toe boots in Ostrich on brown Dainite...

View attachment 1676572 View attachment 1676574 View attachment 1676575 View attachment 1676576

My wife said they look like they're made from Dragons. It was not a compliment.

YES! "A mythical monster like a giant reptile." According to Dictionary, it's quite possibly a compliment.

Savvy's back! Photo from hospital discharge. Wore my GS loafers 5 days straight at the hospital with no backup pair except shower shoes. Stay was a bit longer than expected, but all are happy and healthy.

Baby savvy was born 9/16, a beautiful little girl. Our birthdays are a day apart, what a blessing. It was a surprise for us and our first! She had us convinced she was a boy and then out came a girl!

Fatherhood has been pretty neat so far

View attachment 1677336

Congratulations again! Enjoy the time with your new family!

@GrantStone I heard you may be doing a run of Honey Glazed Shell this year. Are you still planning this and what styles are you thinking of offering?

It does sound like we could secure more of this shell. It's been difficult for suppliers to guarantee deliveries of late but it should come together sooner than later.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on the lace gap on these? For reference my brannock size is 9.5D. These are 8EEE. The toebox width is so much better than my 9D pairs, but the quarters are that much closer. Concerned about how much closer they’ll get after actually breaking in the boots.

1FC7951D-32E3-4575-B5D2-998B2AD53500.jpeg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on the lace gap on these? For reference my brannock size is 9.5D. These are 8EEE. The toebox width is so much better than my 9D pairs, but the quarters are that much closer. Concerned about how much closer they’ll get after actually breaking in the boots.

View attachment 1677781
I think you'll be fine, you could always use some thicker socks too.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score

View attachment 1677781
How’s your heel when you walk? Generally, is the fit in the back form fitting or do you have big loose pockets?

also, this isn’t “official,” but I think the cap toe/Edward has bigger quarters and the laces draw closer than the Diesel.

is that the choco calf? Looks great.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
YES! "A mythical monster like a giant reptile." According to Dictionary, it's quite possibly a compliment.

Congratulations again! Enjoy the time with your new family!

It does sound like we could secure more of this shell. It's been difficult for suppliers to guarantee deliveries of late but it should come together sooner than later.
Give us honey longwings! The people, who are me, demand honey longwings!!

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How’s your heel when you walk? Generally, is the fit in the back form fitting or do you have big loose pockets?

also, this isn’t “official,” but I think the cap toe/Edward has bigger quarters and the laces draw closer than the Diesel.

is that the choco calf? Looks great.
I'll have to give them another try when I get home and get back to you about some things. I did not try walking, but the heel fit seemed okay. The laces are cranked down here as I have kinda low volume feet.

It would be good to know if the cap toe/Edward laces are closer than the Diesel/Ottawa as I am interested in trying an 8EEE Diesel and Ottawa in the near future assuming I keep these 8EEE cap toe boots.

This is crimson CXL, but I do agree that the chocolate calf looks great too. I don't believe the british tan and choco calf options are available in EEE currently.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

View attachment 1677781

These eyerows shouldn't be a problem long term. They are closer but there would need to be a considerable change if they were to come together completely.

Give us honey longwings! The people, who are me, demand honey longwings!!

@GrantStone I heard you may be doing a run of Honey Glazed Shell this year. Are you still planning this and what styles are you thinking of offering?

The longwing would be a great one to add we just simply haven't had the material to start moving into additional patterns. There is a pretty substantial sign-up list for the existing patterns (ottawa, edward and traveler) as we have not been able to make up enough pairs over the last couple of pre-orders. That being said, I think it will only improve from this point which will allow us to move into new styles and make-ups.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
These eyerows shouldn't be a problem long term. They are closer but there would need to be a considerable change if they were to come together completely.

The longwing would be a great one to add we just simply haven't had the material to start moving into additional patterns. There is a pretty substantial sign-up list for the existing patterns (ottawa, edward and traveler) as we have not been able to make up enough pairs over the last couple of pre-orders. That being said, I think it will only improve from this point which will allow us to move into new styles and make-ups.
The people are willing to accept plain toe bluchers as well.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I expect 8EEE to work for me for the Diesel, Ottawa, LWB, and PTB as well? I'm not sure how the patterns differ when it comes to the closeness. I recall the quarters being very close on the 9D LWB for me.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Should I expect 8EEE to work for me for the Diesel, Ottawa, LWB, and PTB as well? I'm not sure how the patterns differ when it comes to the closeness. I recall the quarters being very close on the 9D LWB for me.

That is the case. The edward boot eyerows will be closest compared to the other four patterns. Even the longwing should have more distance between the bluchers.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to give them another try when I get home and get back to you about some things. I did not try walking, but the heel fit seemed okay. The laces are cranked down here as I have kinda low volume feet.

It would be good to know if the cap toe/Edward laces are closer than the Diesel/Ottawa as I am interested in trying an 8EEE Diesel and Ottawa in the near future assuming I keep these 8EEE cap toe boots.

This is crimson CXL, but I do agree that the chocolate calf looks great too. I don't believe the british tan and choco calf options are available in EEE currently.

I second the question from @GentlemanJeff about heel volume in the EEE's. Is heel slip better/worse in the 8EEE's than your 9.5D pair?

As you may remember, I've got the same fit issues with my ankles swimming in the quarters of the boots. 3/4 footbed inserts have been my best solution to mitigate low volume feet by lifting the heel a few mm and giving the laces enough room to reasonably clamp down the fit. On a 6" boot this doesn't directly affect the closure at the top 1-2 speedhooks, but thick socks do. I sometimes leave the top speedhook unused (like Harrison Ford and his Indy's) and it seems to help somehow.

Am glad to hear feedback from (the illustrious) Wyatt on eyerow spacing between patterns also. We should probably assume that there's a bit of variation between samples also as these are complex hand-made products.

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This afternoon's fare. Who needs socks when you're as white as a sheet!

PXL_20210930_202444570.jpg
PXL_20210930_202449970.jpg

Moeck14

Reaction score
Hey all, just curious as to what others may have done sizing wise on Meermin's HOK last when compared to the Leo Last for GS?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads