• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never know what you're going to get with CXL until it's too late to return. That said it's still a wonderful leather.

Trying out some Grant Stone boots in a different size soon. Despite my 9.5D brannock size I've realized that 9D is too tight for my toes. Wyatt suggested trying 8EEE. Will be interesting to see how that goes! Perhaps 9.5D or 9E would also work.
I'm similar to this -- Brannock is 11.5, 11 is too tight on my toes, second best fit was 10eee. The Grant Stone EEEs don't mess around.

You guys are making me think I need to try EEE. 11D Brannock here and 10.5D's are narrow in the toes while also feeling too long. 10E has been my best fit so far but could still use more toe width.

jszair

Reaction score
Yeah dude that’s not how it works whatsoever. You should stop clogging this thread with insufferable, long-winded replies like you are some resident expert (you’re not).

Aside from factory seconds, paying a lower price tag for GYW shoes doesn’t come with any expectation that the shoes might be mis-shaped or visually un-symmetrical.

Sure, there might always be some insignificant asymmetry in GYW shoes, unnoticeable to the eye. And, we can agree to disagree whether a loafer’s sidewall being 11% shorter than it’s mate is worthy of a return. But the idea that this type of defect hinges on expectations for the price point is moronic.

The only argument to possibly be had is “how bad is it.” If the loafer had a sidewall 20% shorter than it’s mate, it would look utterly ridiculous and wouldn’t be good enough to sell as seconds. At 11%, I notice the issue immediately, find the problem-shoe to look mis-proportioned, and therefore exchanged them.

It might be worth discussing at what threshold does the problem warrant a return. A GS loafer’s sidewall is only 40some mm tall in total. While I got a sidewall that was 5mm too low…I bet if you hit a 6 or 7mm variance, the shoe would quickly go from looking somewhat off to completely screwball looking. Maybe you and others in this thread wouldn’t have returned the asymmetrical loafers that I received, but given 1 or 2 or maybe 3 more mm of variance and you definitely would.

Your caved-in brain argument …bUUUUt yOu OnLy pAiD $300 is irrelevant and annoying.

One thing I noticed is that criticism on brands with usually above average reviews often met with "you don't know shoes or crafts" comments.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Bad luck with an odd flaw on my first pair of GS loafers (not purchased as factory seconds). The outer sidewall on the shoe that has the green line is 5 mm shorter than the outer sidewall on the other shoe (measured at the green line). I think it's noticeable in the pic below, but probably a little moreso in real life. But looking at the pic below, you can see how the band of leather along the top edge of the problem shoe pitches downward more. That 5mm difference makes the sidewall about 11% shorter than the shoe's mate...so noticeable to the naked eye.

I am very laid back about most little craftsmanship flaws on GYW shoes, but I quickly noticed this during my initial inspection and really don't want a pair of shoes that's asymmetrical. So, I'm exchanging them for same make/model/size. Really love everything else tho, very attractive and nice fitting loafers, so I'm looking forward to getting the replacement pair.

View attachment 1674536

Thanks for sharing, we don't take something like this offensively. If it's measuring 5mm different from one shoe to the other, it is a difference from lasting. I'll send a DM to make sure that we note your order so the person shipping your exchange knows the exact issue.

Inconsistencies like this will happen so we try to specify a range and keep it within those parameters. In this case, we have a lasting machine just for the toe and then the shoe is flipped over and lasted by hand in the quarters, which is the area in question.

Sometimes we have to tell a customer that the area of concern is within our acceptable range and this should be expected because if we ship another pair, it might not be any different. For this pair, I think we can do better.

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing the Diesel boot in Leo last. I am size US7.5 in Thursday boots and UK6.5 in Viberg 2030 last, with regular width and instep. My regular dress shoe size is US7.5/UK6.5 and they recommend sizing half size down.

Would you guys recommend taking the Leo last in US7 or match my Thursday/Viberg size and get US7.5?

Just replied DM with a question because we need a little more info!

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, we don't take something like this offensively. If it's measuring 5mm different from one shoe to the other, it is a difference from lasting. I'll send a DM to make sure that we note your order so the person shipping your exchange knows the exact issue.

Inconsistencies like this will happen so we try to specify a range and keep it within those parameters. In this case, we have a lasting machine just for the toe and then the shoe is flipped over and lasted by hand in the quarters, which is the area in question.

Sometimes we have to tell a customer that the area of concern is within our acceptable range and this should be expected because if we ship another pair, it might not be any different. For this pair, I think we can do better.

Thank you for the response on that! When processing my exchange online, I did add a note on why I'm exchanging the shoes. However, my order # is 16571 if you need to add further notation.

The intended effect of my original post was "Look at this unusual and slightly interesting anomaly, but the shoes are awesome and I can't wait to get the exchange." Then a crazy argument ensued between myself and another forum member.

But, I seriously like the traveler loafers and have already started looking at what leathers are available for a second pair.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for the response on that! When processing my exchange online, I did add a note on why I'm exchanging the shoes. However, my order # is 16571 if you need to add further notation.

The intended effect of my original post was "Look at this unusual and slightly interesting anomaly, but the shoes are awesome and I can't wait to get the exchange." Then a crazy argument ensued between myself and another forum member.

But, I seriously like the traveler loafers and have already started looking at what leathers are available for a second pair.

Okay perfect. We should receive the returned pair Wednesday and have the exchanged pair sent the following day.

I'm glad you like the traveler, it's slowly becoming one of our most popular styles. It's definitely the most popular in our office!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My OG so-comfortable-I-feel-like-I-owe-them-something Ottawas. I'm probably at 600+ miles on these, so they're still the distance champion in the closet, and while I have other pairs that are really comfortable, nothing is quite like them.
xGzpWPH.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My OG so-comfortable-I-feel-like-I-owe-them-something Ottawas. I'm probably at 600+ miles on these, so they're still the distance champion in the closet, and while I have other pairs that are really comfortable, nothing is quite like them.
xGzpWPH.jpg
Those look beautiful...I can't walk 600 feet without getting scrapes and scratches on my footwear. My hat is off to you for keeping them looking so pristine.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look beautiful...I can't walk 600 feet without getting scrapes and scratches on my footwear. My hat is off to you for keeping them looking so pristine.
Thanks! These have taken their bumps and scrapes over the years, but generally a licked finger and some rubbing and/or brushing is all it takes to make them fade. I think I've hit them with Saphir Greasy Leather Cream once, and *maybe* Reno once, but that's it. Early-on, I did put some Reno on the spots where the hardware for the hooks was rubbing into the tongue, but that was literally a spot-treatment that has allowed those spots to be burnished areas that look great. A lot of people react to how minimal the creasing is on the vamp. These have rolled more than creased, and after all these miles I'm guessing they're done evolving on that front.

Even with the rare shell and other pairs, these are easily in my top one or two pairs. I fall back in love with them every time I put them on.

Kkstpattisday

Reaction score
Today, GS Diesel plain-toe boots in Ostrich on brown Dainite...

View attachment 1676572 View attachment 1676574 View attachment 1676575 View attachment 1676576

My wife said they look like they're made from Dragons. It was not a compliment.
Dude I seriously underestimated these when they dropped. I think you have boots that do all the work for the simplist of outfits plus they can easily start a conversation in a unsteady room because everyone looks down when not wanting to make eye contact. They remind me of dragon’s skin as well…in a good way.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Savvy's back! Photo from hospital discharge. Wore my GS loafers 5 days straight at the hospital with no backup pair except shower shoes. Stay was a bit longer than expected, but all are happy and healthy.

Baby savvy was born 9/16, a beautiful little girl. Our birthdays are a day apart, what a blessing. It was a surprise for us and our first! She had us convinced she was a boy and then out came a girl!

Fatherhood has been pretty neat so far

PXL_20210919_194548349.jpg

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Savvy's back! Photo from hospital discharge. Wore my GS loafers 5 days straight at the hospital with no backup pair except shower shoes. Stay was a bit longer than expected, but all are happy and healthy.

Baby savvy was born 9/16, a beautiful little girl. Our birthdays are a day apart, what a blessing. It was a surprise for us and our first! She had us convinced she was a boy and then out came a girl!

Fatherhood has been pretty neat so far

View attachment 1677336
Congratulations Savvy and good to hear all are healthy and happy !!

Moeck14

Reaction score
@GrantStone I heard you may be doing a run of Honey Glazed Shell this year. Are you still planning this and what styles are you thinking of offering?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads