• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Like I said, the 5mm variance comes out to an 11% difference…I’ll add it was immediately noticeable within 5 min of looking at the shoes. If a shirt with 35 inch sleeves had an 11% variance, one sleeve would be almost 4 inches shorter than the other. In that case, it’s a clear defect and the shirt company would replace - which I’m guessing is what will happen with my loafers, I’ll get a symmetrical pair, and everyone will be happy.

Btw, I find most “should I return these GYW shoes as defective” threads to be ridiculous..::but honestly think the issue I have here is pretty legit. The shoe looks clearly “off” from the side view.

I made my post out of general interest, not to crap on GS…a company I respect greatly (this isn’t my first pair of GS shoes).

You are comparing apples to oranges as a 34" shirt sleeve versus the side of a shoe are much different sizes so 11% is not the same scale even if the same percentage. You even make my point, on a 34" shirt sleeve the difference is 4" which would be very noticeable to anyone but on the sidewall of shoe it is only 5mm which is meaningless.

As to shoe "issues" I'll quote my wife when I mentioned the cap toe stitching on a pair of (more expensive but not GS) shoes was not perfectly straight, "Only you and those other crazy people on that forum notice stuff like that. Real people do not notice or care".

As to whether or not you are right or wrong that this is an actual defect I'll quote my mother when she does not want to get into a fight with my father over something trivial and meaningless, "You know, you might be right" (while she thinks to herself that my father is just wrong but it is not worth getting into an argument over something so foolish).

If you did not want to "crap on GS", you should have waited until after they replaced them and then shared what fabulous customer service you received. At that point, most people would have just rolled their eyes and ignored the post or maybe commented on their own great GS customer service experiences. By posting now and pointing out a meaningless issue that is only real to you, you seem to be acting like a petulant child.

Not looking for a flame war. Just passing on some good advice that was given to me not that long ago regarding shoes: you can complain and notice every little "perceived" defect which ultimately leads to unhappiness or you can just accept that these are inexpensive machine made products that were never meant to be perfect. Perfection costs much more money.

Stop being so analytical and just enjoy your new shoes (if you can).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are comparing apples to oranges as a 34" shirt sleeve versus the side of a shoe are much different sizes so 11% is not the same scale even if the same percentage. You even make my point, on a 34" shirt sleeve the difference is 4" which would be very noticeable to anyone but on the sidewall of shoe it is only 5mm which is meaningless.

As to shoe "issues" I'll quote my wife when I mentioned the cap toe stitching on a pair of (more expensive but not GS) shoes was not perfectly straight, "Only you and those other crazy people on that forum notice stuff like that. Real people do not notice or care".

As to whether or not you are right or wrong that this is an actual defect I'll quote my mother when she does not want to get into a fight with my father over something trivial and meaningless, "You know, you might be right" (while she thinks to herself that my father is just wrong but it is not worth getting into an argument over something so foolish).

If you did not want to "crap on GS", you should have waited until after they replaced them and then shared what fabulous customer service you received. At that point, most people would have just rolled their eyes and ignored the post or maybe commented on their own great GS customer service experiences. By posting now and pointing out a meaningless issue that is only real to you, you seem to be acting like a petulant child.

Not looking for a flame war. Just passing on some good advice that was given to me not that long ago regarding shoes: you can complain and notice every little "perceived" defect which ultimately leads to unhappiness or you can just accept that these are inexpensive machine made products that were never meant to be perfect. Perfection costs much more money.

He can't enjoy them. They bug him. Shoes and boots made by humans may never be perfect, but are wearable and meant to enjoy.

hses212

Reaction score
Since there've been a bunch of sizing posts lately (and the GS sizing mistakes journal post), I went to a shoe store today and measured my heel to ball size. I'm barely an 11 on heel to toe and slightly over 12.5 on heel to ball. Short toes apparently. Firmly in the middle of D width. Most of my dress shoes and boots are 10E, but I have pairs of Grant Stone and Wolverine in 9.5EEE (both are my most comfortable shoes due to lack of pinky-toe rub). Even with 10E, I feel like I have a lot of excess room at the front of the shoe. Sneakers are 11 or 11.5.

Anyone else have this kind of discrepancy? Should I really be looking at size 11.5D/12D in GS? Trying on a pair is obviously the next step...just curious If others have been through the same thing.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm. I recall you whinning in the Meermin thread. Glad you grew up :)

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hmm. I recall you whinning in the Meermin thread. Glad you grew up :)

It is more about realizing I would never be happy with inexpensive and crappy shoes (i.e. Meermin) and could get inexpensive and much better quality shoes (i.e. Grant Stone). I have purchased several Carmina's and Alden's that have "defects" greater than 5mm but decided to live with them rather than return and/or be unhappy (Frist quality Alden heels that Alden stated are within spec and would not accept a return).
Heels 1.jpg

And to be fair, the pair of Meermin's I purchased were lasted poorly which lead to a defect that was much greater than a 5mm variance and their customer support gave me "incorrect" written information about sizing (which was later updated on their public website) before I purchased a non-returnable MTO so my experience is not really a fair comparison.

More than a 5mm variance
Sole and Welt not stitched on straight.JPG

There is no way this Meermin is a 9UK when I wear/own the following: 10D in TTS Allen Edmonds, 9.5D on Alden Barrie and Modified, 9.5D on Grant Stone Leo, and 9UK in Carmina Detroit.
Too Big.JPG

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@NYCTechNerd I was being sincere in my comment. I get you were not happy with Meermin. But you could have handled it better.

I'm happy to read what you posted to the other person.

@XxLogo You have a pair of grant stones?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@NYCTechNerd I was being sincere in my comment. I get you were not happy with Meermin. But you could have handled it better.

I'm happy to read what you posted to the other person.

@XxLogo You have a pair of grant stones?
Yes I do, 3 pairs. I got a Diesel in 9.5E, an Edward in 9E, and a Traveller in 9E. I feel like the heel is too wide in the Alexander last for my feet. Leo fits best in 9E, first boot was Diesel. 9.5E still does work, and I’ll wear it a lot, but 9E works much better.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I do, 3 pairs. I got a Diesel in 9.5E, an Edward in 9E, and a Traveller in 9E. I feel like the heel is too wide in the Alexander last for my feet. Leo fits best in 9E, first boot was Diesel. 9.5E still does work, and I’ll wear it a lot, but 9E works much better.
I'll send you a pm soon regarding sizing input

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Go Don't pay for hamburger and expect prime rib.

Not trying to be a jerk, but you did only spend $300 on a pair of shoes but are expecting a $1000 (or more) pair.

Yeah dude that’s not how it works whatsoever. You should stop clogging this thread with insufferable, long-winded replies like you are some resident expert (you’re not).

Aside from factory seconds, paying a lower price tag for GYW shoes doesn’t come with any expectation that the shoes might be mis-shaped or visually un-symmetrical.

Sure, there might always be some insignificant asymmetry in GYW shoes, unnoticeable to the eye. And, we can agree to disagree whether a loafer’s sidewall being 11% shorter than it’s mate is worthy of a return. But the idea that this type of defect hinges on expectations for the price point is moronic.

The only argument to possibly be had is “how bad is it.” If the loafer had a sidewall 20% shorter than it’s mate, it would look utterly ridiculous and wouldn’t be good enough to sell as seconds. At 11%, I notice the issue immediately, find the problem-shoe to look mis-proportioned, and therefore exchanged them.

It might be worth discussing at what threshold does the problem warrant a return. A GS loafer’s sidewall is only 40some mm tall in total. While I got a sidewall that was 5mm too low…I bet if you hit a 6 or 7mm variance, the shoe would quickly go from looking somewhat off to completely screwball looking. Maybe you and others in this thread wouldn’t have returned the asymmetrical loafers that I received, but given 1 or 2 or maybe 3 more mm of variance and you definitely would.

Your caved-in brain argument …bUUUUt yOu OnLy pAiD $300 is irrelevant and annoying.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
No clue if these loafers are perfectly symmetrical and, I must say, I’m pretty detail oriented. Bought these on kind of a lark a while ago new in the secondary market. I must say… I like em a hell of a lot!

33ABEDE7-5C6F-4759-944A-4F98990A8D83.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads