• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
5mm lol. You should buy some vibergs and exchange the crap out of em.

Not sure I understand...is your lol that 5mm is nothing compared to variances seen elsewhere (such as viberg)?

I've accepted small asymmetry issues on other GYW shoes before (such as the cap on cap toes, or on wingtip pieces not perfectly aligned) but the way the sidewall here is so noticeably low is a deal breaker...it's just too fundamental to the overall shoe.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Never know what you're going to get with CXL until it's too late to return. That said it's still a wonderful leather.

Trying out some Grant Stone boots in a different size soon. Despite my 9.5D brannock size I've realized that 9D is too tight for my toes. Wyatt suggested trying 8EEE. Will be interesting to see how that goes! Perhaps 9.5D or 9E would also work.
I'm similar to this -- Brannock is 11.5, 11 is too tight on my toes, second best fit was 10eee. The Grant Stone EEEs don't mess around.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm similar to this -- Brannock is 11.5, 11 is too tight on my toes, second best fit was 10eee. The Grant Stone EEEs don't mess around.
How do the quarters fit for you on the 10EEE compared to the 11D? My concern is that on the 9D they were already pretty close together. Not sure if they might touch or overlap on the 8EEE. Guess we will find out soon enough.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
How do the quarters fit for you on the 10EEE compared to the 11D? My concern is that on the 9D they were already pretty close together. Not sure if they might touch or overlap on the 8EEE. Guess we will find out soon enough.
I wear the 11.5, which is a little big for me, but is good for my toes. 11 fits me perfectly everywhere but chomps my toes which I think makes them a no-go.

For the 11.5, the laces very nearly close. For boots, they close around the ankle. For the 10eee, the laces also very nearly close. The widths of the 10eee and 11.5 are very similar, IIRC (which they should be, since ideally 10eee = 10.5ee = 11e = 11.5d), with the real difference being length.

Anyhow, I have spent enough money on shoes that don't fit/invested enough in research on this issue that I feel pretty qualified! The 1.5 size down + eee is going to be very similar but a little different, so there's a chance it might work for you.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bad luck with an odd flaw on my first pair of GS loafers (not purchased as factory seconds). The outer sidewall on the shoe that has the green line is 5 mm shorter than the outer sidewall on the other shoe (measured at the green line). I think it's noticeable in the pic below, but probably a little moreso in real life. But looking at the pic below, you can see how the band of leather along the top edge of the problem shoe pitches downward more. That 5mm difference makes the sidewall about 11% shorter than the shoe's mate...so noticeable to the naked eye.

I am very laid back about most little craftsmanship flaws on GYW shoes, but I quickly noticed this during my initial inspection and really don't want a pair of shoes that's asymmetrical. So, I'm exchanging them for same make/model/size. Really love everything else tho, very attractive and nice fitting loafers, so I'm looking forward to getting the replacement pair.

View attachment 1674536
5mm lol. You should buy some vibergs and exchange the crap out of em.

While I think @GrantStone is exponentially better than other makes at the same price point, I think your personal expectations are not inline with the price point you are paying. Go measure every shoe, shirt, pants, coats, ties, and other clothing in your closet and I can assure you many, if not most, will have variances of more than 5mm. Don't pay for hamburger and expect prime rib.

And, after you measure all of your clothing for variances, you might as well read these blog posts from the expert himself, The Shoe Snob (aka Justin Fitzpatrick):

Not trying to be a jerk, but you did only spend $300 on a pair of shoes but are expecting a $1000 (or more) pair.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
While I think @GrantStone is exponentially better than other makes at the same price point, I think your personal expectations are not inline with the price point you are paying. Go measure every shoe, shirt, pants, coats, ties, and other clothing in your closet and I can assure you many, if not most, will have variances of more than 5mm. Don't pay for hamburger and expect prime rib.

And, after you measure all of your clothing for variances, you might as well read these blog posts from the expert himself, The Shoe Snob (aka Justin Fitzpatrick):

Not trying to be a jerk, but you did only spend $300 on a pair of shoes but are expecting a $1000 (or more) pair.
Now I want a bespoke Italian cow. Complete with individual tastings as the cow grows older to make sure it’s on track to be delicious.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Now I want a bespoke Italian cow. Complete with individual tastings as the cow grows older to make sure it’s on track to be delicious.

Will you then have Italian shoes made from the cow after you have eaten it ensuring that the variances on the shoe upper pattern are less than 5mm?

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Bad luck with an odd flaw on my first pair of GS loafers (not purchased as factory seconds). The outer sidewall on the shoe that has the green line is 5 mm shorter than the outer sidewall on the other shoe (measured at the green line). I think it's noticeable in the pic below, but probably a little moreso in real life. But looking at the pic below, you can see how the band of leather along the top edge of the problem shoe pitches downward more. That 5mm difference makes the sidewall about 11% shorter than the shoe's mate...so noticeable to the naked eye.

I am very laid back about most little craftsmanship flaws on GYW shoes, but I quickly noticed this during my initial inspection and really don't want a pair of shoes that's asymmetrical. So, I'm exchanging them for same make/model/size. Really love everything else tho, very attractive and nice fitting loafers, so I'm looking forward to getting the replacement pair.

View attachment 1674536

I just see a green line on your shoe, but I can't see anything wrong??? I'm sure GS will happily exchange for a shoe that doesn't have a green line! Seriously, given their quality customer service, I doubt it will be an issue if you are not happy with what you are seeing.

Last edited:

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Has anybody ever bought Grant Stones that were such bad matching pairs leather-wise? I have looked through the whole gallery here and also all Grant Stone posted photos and tagged photos on Instagram and I think I just got really really unlucky. It is not the creasing that bugs me (cmxl is going to crease), it is more that fact that these 2 boots look drastically different, as if the vamp leather was cut from completely different hides. I do love Grant Stone, just wondering if anybody else has experienced this?
View attachment 1674408

Wearing my GS veg tans right now. They are doing the same thing. I have a pair of (beloved) Alden Indy's doing the same. My left foot is just shaped different - a little wider, and I think might change my gait a little. Not sure, but it doesn't bother me.

IMG_1453.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wearing my GS veg tans right now. They are doing the same thing. I have a pair of (beloved) Alden Indy's doing the same. My left foot is just shaped different - a little wider, and I think might change my gait a little. Not sure, but it doesn't bother me.

View attachment 1674668
Gotta love CXL

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Go measure every shoe, shirt, pants, coats, ties, and other clothing in your closet and I can assure you many, if not most, will have variances of more than 5mm. Don't pay for hamburger and expect prime rib.

And, after you measure all of your clothing for variances, you might as well read these blog posts from the expert himself, Not trying to be a jerk, but you did only spend $300 on a pair of shoes but are expecting a $1000 (or more) pair.
Like I said, the 5mm variance comes out to an 11% difference…I’ll add it was immediately noticeable within 5 min of looking at the shoes. If a shirt with 35 inch sleeves had an 11% variance, one sleeve would be almost 4 inches shorter than the other. In that case, it’s a clear defect and the shirt company would replace - which I’m guessing is what will happen with my loafers, I’ll get a symmetrical pair, and everyone will be happy.

Btw, I find most “should I return these GYW shoes as defective” threads to be ridiculous..::but honestly think the issue I have here is pretty legit. The shoe looks clearly “off” from the side view.

I made my post out of general interest, not to crap on GS…a company I respect greatly (this isn’t my first pair of GS shoes).

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Like I said, the 5mm variance comes out to an 11% difference…I’ll add it was immediately noticeable within 5 min of looking at the shoes. If a shirt with 35 inch sleeves had an 11% variance, one sleeve would be almost 4 inches shorter than the other. In that case, it’s a clear defect and the shirt company would replace - which I’m guessing is what will happen with my loafers, I’ll get a symmetrical pair, and everyone will be happy.

Btw, I find most “should I return these GYW shoes as defective” threads to be ridiculous..::but honestly think the issue I have here is pretty legit. The shoe looks clearly “off” from the side view.

I made my post out of general interest, not to crap on GS…a company I respect greatly (this isn’t my first pair of GS shoes).
I think you’re being fair and also think it’s very funny, and maybe that’s just the nature of us all being shoe dandies and our problems being, like, not real problems. ?

PocketJacks

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing the Diesel boot in Leo last. I am size US7.5 in Thursday boots and UK6.5 in Viberg 2030 last, with regular width and instep. My regular dress shoe size is US7.5/UK6.5 and they recommend sizing half size down.

Would you guys recommend taking the Leo last in US7 or match my Thursday/Viberg size and get US7.5?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing the Diesel boot in Leo last. I am size US7.5 in Thursday boots and UK6.5 in Viberg 2030 last, with regular width and instep. My regular dress shoe size is US7.5/UK6.5 and they recommend sizing half size down.

Would you guys recommend taking the Leo last in US7 or match my Thursday/Viberg size and get US7.5?
Contact @GrantStone, they KNOW sizing, and will give you the right direction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads