• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How would a veteran boot guy like you compare the quality of the products inside of those two boxes?
are you speaking to the quality of GSvs Alden...Both are great and "quality" is such a subjective thing. Both are high quality GWY footwear bioth are worthy of owning, It is hard to compare, as both are very good, and both have a position in my closet.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
are you speaking to the quality of GSvs Alden...Both are great and "quality" is such a subjective thing. Both are high quality GWY footwear bioth are worthy of owning, It is hard to compare, as both are very good, and both have a position in my closet.
I don’t own any Aldens yet but am seriously considering getting a pair of Indys.

dsk321

Reaction score
Just got the dirty bucks on clearance, super sweet deal. Went 10d and fit is great, tried 10.5 bucks as well, but the eyelets were ridiculously close when laced snug. This seems to be a persistent problem for me with most derbies and boots now (low volume/flat arches).

Previously owned ottawas and knew quality would be excellent. They were 10.5d, and slightly problematic as they were too loose in my thin socks, but my climate doesn't get cold enough for med/thicker socks. 10d leo is just snug enough with thin socks.

I'd love expanded wedge sole options, in roughouts or cxl. Really obsessed with the black roughout/black wedge aesthetic.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got the dirty bucks on clearance, super sweet deal. Went 10d and fit is great, tried 10.5 bucks as well, but the eyelets were ridiculously close when laced snug. This seems to be a persistent problem for me with most derbies and boots now (low volume/flat arches).

Previously owned ottawas and knew quality would be excellent. They were 10.5d, and slightly problematic as they were too loose in my thin socks, but my climate doesn't get cold enough for med/thicker socks. 10d leo is just snug enough with thin socks.

I'd love expanded wedge sole options, in roughouts or cxl. Really obsessed with the black roughout/black wedge aesthetic.

Hey I deal with the same problem here, especially with Grant Stone derbies lacing too close together. Just thought I'd weigh in about the socks, if you can get a high quality pair of merino wool socks they actually wear surpsingly cool for their weight, as will high-content cotton socks. Wool will treat you better however, and you can wear them for days without odor! Darn Tough, Smartwool, and Icebreaker are my go-to wool socks.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey I deal with the same problem here, especially with Grant Stone derbies lacing too close together. Just thought I'd weigh in about the socks, if you can get a high quality pair of merino wool socks they actually wear surpsingly cool for their weight, as will high-content cotton socks. Wool will treat you better however, and you can wear them for days without odor! Darn Tough, Smartwool, and Icebreaker are my go-to wool socks.
SmartWool isn’t bad, but the other two have lifetime guarantees for the same price. But on that point, wool socks are only thing I buy now, year round.

dsk321

Reaction score
SmartWool isn’t bad, but the other two have lifetime guarantees for the same price. But on that point, wool socks are only thing I buy now, year round.
Yeah I'd say 4/10 of my socks are wool at this point. Some from The Nines Paris, a couple Darn Tough, and some Bombas which aren't too shabby for med weight. My cottons are either random patine/viccel, and happy socks.

Being lower volume/flat means my best fitting shoes are pretty much at the razor's edge of tight and almost mandate a specific sock weight to work. Also I'm somewhere between 10.5d and 11d (lets call it 10.75) and this dirty buck 10d is easily the smallest listed size I've bought that has worked perfectly, assuming only light socks.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd say 4/10 of my socks are wool at this point. Some from The Nines Paris, a couple Darn Tough, and some Bombas which aren't too shabby for med weight. My cottons are either random patine/viccel, and happy socks.

Being lower volume/flat means my best fitting shoes are pretty much at the razor's edge of tight and almost mandate a specific sock weight to work. Also I'm somewhere between 10.5d and 11d (lets call it 10.75) and this dirty buck 10d is easily the smallest listed size I've bought that has worked perfectly, assuming only light socks.
Great to hear. For years I tried to get narrow shoes and wear the thinnest socks possible but I've discovered medium to thick socks with regular-wide width shoes is so much more comfortable, especially in the toes.

Funny, you and I are the exact same size (10.75ish with low-volume foot). The 10E dress shoes work great for me (Oliver last) and I'm between a 10D and 10.5D in the Leo last.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I came here looking for pictures of the chocolate antique calf - specifically the Fairfield, though this and this would do also!

Have been enjoying my tan Fairfields for looks and comfort though the leather takes a scuffing mighty easy.

Post any pics if you have 'em.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Guys, I came here looking for pictures of the chocolate antique calf - specifically the Fairfield, though this and this would do also!

Have been enjoying my tan Fairfields for looks and comfort though the leather takes a scuffing mighty easy.

Post any pics if you have 'em.

I got a pair of the Fairfields, but I’m gonna exchange them for the tan now that the latter is back in stock.

The choco calf looks great though. It’s a deep dark brown, so you could pair it with a navy suit or denim. They’re comparable to AE’s chocolate brown color.

I would definitely get them in the future, but I’m looking for the more casual tan option right now.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today,

Grant Stone Brass Boots in Horween Maduro shell cordovan on lug soles...

20210803_075913.jpg
20210803_075917.jpg
20210803_075923.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As usual, my friend audog put things very well. I've had a couple pairs of Aldens arrive with a bit of box-rash, but nothing enduring. GS started with excellent boxes and over time has made multiple improvements to be outstanding.

Once you're in the box, I think the best of the two companies is great. I think GS has a few touches (full-leather heel counters) that I give them credit for, but ultimately the totality of both is legendarily good IMHO.

My Indys and my OG Ottawas constantly compete for the #1 slot for me.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As usual, my friend audog put things very well. I've had a couple pairs of Aldens arrive with a bit of box-rash, but nothing enduring. GS started with excellent boxes and over time has made multiple improvements to be outstanding.

Once you're in the box, I think the best of the two companies is great. I think GS has a few touches (full-leather heel counters) that I give them credit for, but ultimately the totality of both is legendarily good IMHO.

My Indys and my OG Ottawas constantly compete for the #1 slot for me.
Thanks my friend, both brands are great, both have their own strengths and both deserve to be in any closet. One of my favorite pair of boots are my original Diesel boots, they don't get worn often enough (rather large rotation here) but they are like "old friends" when I put them on. In fact, going to wear them tomorrow to help son build a wooden play set/swing set thing for granddaughter. I know that they can handle whatever I throw at them, may get some scuff's/scrapes....but, hey, they are BOOTS after all.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that they can handle whatever I throw at them, may get some scuff's/scrapes....but, hey, they are BOOTS after all.
I love that you roll with your boots that way. It's a great example for the rest of us.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads