• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masticore99

Reaction score
I joined stitchdown pretty recently, considering that the loden loafers, EEE chukkas, and now perhaps kudu loafer are on my wishlist.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also for the GS boys, a question I'm sure you get asked from time to time and I'm sorry if you're already answered it a bunch -

When starting your company, why did you not just label the shoes a half size larger than what the lasts are made of and then put the disclaimer to size up in certain situations? Seems like it would have been simpler for the customers, and since you guys are a new brand (relative to Alden or AE or wtv), you could have set this up right away.

Not a critique really since it was super easy for me to figure out, just wondering.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Also for the GS boys, a question I'm sure you get asked from time to time and I'm sorry if you're already answered it a bunch -

When starting your company, why did you not just label the shoes a half size larger than what the lasts are made of and then put the disclaimer to size up in certain situations? Seems like it would have been simpler for the customers, and since you guys are a new brand (relative to Alden or AE or wtv), you could have set this up right away.

Not a critique really since it was super easy for me to figure out, just wondering.

From my understanding the recommendation to size down is based on what most people think is their shoe size, which is really their sneaker size. So it’s mostly aimed at newcomers to GYW shoes and boots. You see similar disclaimers for most GYW footwear (and most people take the same size in GS as they do for Alden).

Diego65

Reaction score
Hi!!
I need some help, please!!
I want to buy:

But I´m not sure about the size. My size in Crockett and Jones Boots is 10.5 UK (11.5 US), Wolverine 10 UK (11 US), Chippewa 10.5 UK (11.5 US), Cheaney 10.5 UK (11.5 US).
The chap from GS advises I size down to10.5 D US (I got narrow feet) which means an entire size, but I am not sure about it. I really appreciate your help on this matter.

Thank you!!!!!

Diego

KarlHungus

Reaction score

You had to know this was coming.
why-dont-you-just-make-ten-louder-and-make-ten-be-the-top-number-and-make-that-a-little-louder...jpg

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my understanding the recommendation to size down is based on what most people think is their shoe size, which is really their sneaker size. So it’s mostly aimed at newcomers to GYW shoes and boots. You see similar disclaimers for most GYW footwear (and most people take the same size in GS as they do for Alden).

Wouldn't it just make even more sense then to up the size and not even have it be an issue for newcomers?

I get that gyw bros will always be researching for sizing advice so that part doesn't even matter as much, I'm sure.

Maybe it also has to do with the way the factories work and label their goods?

Anyway @KarlHungus I heard grant stone goes all the way up to 13!

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Wouldn't it just make even more sense then to up the size and not even have it be an issue for newcomers?

I get that gyw bros will always be researching for sizing advice so that part doesn't even matter as much, I'm sure.

Maybe it also has to do with the way the factories work and label their goods?

Anyway @KarlHungus I heard grant stone goes all the way up to 13!
It’s more than sneakers. It’s the standard sizing for GYW footwear. That’s why Alden, Viberg, Grant Stone, and others all provide the “half size down” instruction.

They’re working from 100-year old sizing concepts. Sneakers were developed and scaled much more recently.

Basically two separate shoe cultures on different sides of the Brannock measurement. More knowledgeable people than I have written about it.

DawgPound

Reaction score

This ?

I guess it depends on your perspective. For me, Grant Stone is TTS when measured on the brannock. My sneakers are generally a half size up. Half of my AE’s are same TTS or half size down, depending on the last. Sizing takes in a number of factors and a size gets us close, and then we all dial it in to get the right size for a manufacturer and last thru trial and error. I went through 3-4 different Grant Stone sizes, playing with size and width, due to the size down recommendation before I dialed it in.

Last edited:

BrandonF

Reaction score
This ?

I guess it depends on your perspective. For me, Grant Stone is TTS when measured on the brannock. My sneakers are generally a half size up. Half of my AE’s are same or half size down, depending on the last. Sizing takes in a number of factors and a size gets us close, and then we all dial it in to get the right size for a manufacturer and last thru trial and error. I went through 3-4 different Grant Stone sizes, playing with size and width, due to the size down recommendation before I dialed it in.

Yeah, GS is pretty much true to size for me when going by brannock. I measure a 9E with a high instep, so I either go with 8.5EEE or 9.5E.

Conversely, I wear a 10 in most sneakers and 11 in Nikes. Pretty sure they’re the ones who are off!

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
I’m also TTS in GS. I measure 11.5 HTB. It’s a little big on me but my toes jam into the top/side for an 11 or 11E. For sneakers I’m a 12.5 to 13. Sometimes I think I should try an 11D but I’ve had lots of bad experiences with toe crunching shoes in the past.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m definitely 1/2 size down from Brannock in GS. Right on TTS in Allen Edmonds 65 last for comparison.

I also almost always wear my brannock size in sneakers

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inaugural outing for these Grant Stone loafers. Extremely impressed with the build quality; my first with their loafers.

Who needs white socks when you're as pale as a sheet of printer paper?

PXL_20210724_224002469.jpg
PXL_20210724_224007960.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads