• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well boys, looks like I have a preorder coming that I did not expect, nor ask for! This one's a bit out of the ordinary from your standard makeups we usually see 'round these parts...

According to the experts, it'll be appearing sometime in late September unless things don't go as planned with the factory! ;)

This is the very first for Mrs. Savvy & I; I always joked it would go like this (unexpected, out of the blue), and it seems I was right!

Still in shock, and I'm honestly super nervous, but excited for the future. We haven't told our families yet as we're planning to tell them in person in the coming weeks, so I had to spill my beans to somebody.

Cheers, and I'll drink Mrs. Savvy's along with mine! :cheers:

View attachment 1565668
Congrats savvy! As a father of a 6 and 7 1/2 year old girls, while not without its challenges, being a parent is one of the best gifts your family can ever receive, IMHO. Congrats to you and your family!

On the footwear front, a little honey glazed shell with Guarded Goods laces today. It's been too long for this pair.
20210302_075147.jpg

Saleemmd

Reaction score
Starting with the Diesel and Brass boot this fall.

Fanstastic.

:crackup:It's definitely not for everyone. I don't wear western boots or really even Chelsea boots. This was just a fun make-up but when I wear it, it's really not that loud (surprisingly). My wife didn't even notice and when I asked her opinion, she said "oh, those are different".

In southwest Michigan, I'm more out of place wearing tassels than this boot. But to be fair, I'm already out of place wearing any type of GYW footwear here. I can go months without seeing GYW shoes, so trying to fit in (with regard to attire) is already out the window.
@GrantStone any pics of the color 8 diesel? Dainite or leather sole?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! I hope all goes well and you and your wife have a healthy child.

How about a toast of bourbon in your honor?

View attachment 1565673

Thank you so much! That's about all I can ask for! Bourbon it is, my friend!!

Congratulations!!! Best thing in the world.

Pretty excited, it'll be a new chapter in life and definitely challenging.

Time to start shopping for some GYW baby shoes!

Hahah the wife thought it was just me who was after nice threads!

I don't think anyone makes them, but if anyone did, it would have been the original (pre-Calares) Buster Brown shoe company View attachment 1565682

Wow those are crazy. Cool throwback.

Congrats!!

It's funny - I remember getting all this advice from parents about all the things to do before you have a baby, and very little of it was useful until after - lol. I just didn't have enough context to understand a lot of it. Some things sounded very simple advice and later I realized how nuanced some of it was. So I try not to offer much more than the following: Your wife is going to be kinda nuts the first week or three after the delivery - stress/hormones/lack of sleep/etc. Just keep your head down and support her. The other thing is to just keep in mind that the baby will sleep...eventually. All three of mine had a switch flip at a month or so and even though the schedule evolved over time we had some predictability.

What's funny is when we had our second it was like we'd never had one - e.g. "Are you supposed to boil this??", etc. :rotflmao:

Anyway, it's a cool time, and it runs away. My spawn are 21, 18 and 17 now, and that amazes me...

Thank you so much! I am sure the advice will come rolling in once we tell friends and family.

I completely get it, and am expecting some craziness at first. It will all be good in the end.

LOL, new parents all over again!!

I am sure my parents feel the same with me. Mom always jokes and wishes for the old days. My wife and I have been married for 3.5 years and I can't believe the time has flown by.

Congrats savvy! As a father of a 6 and 7 1/2 year old girls, while not without its challenges, being a parent is one of the best gifts your family can ever receive, IMHO. Congrats to you and your family!

On the footwear front, a little honey glazed shell with Guarded Goods laces today. It's been too long for this pair.
View attachment 1566138

Thank you so much! We want kids, but this was such a surprise that it was a total head fake. I don't know whether to wish for boys or girls so I'm just wishing for HEALTHY! I am looking forward to the challenges/changes.

Beautiful boots, I should have gotten in on those.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well boys, looks like I have a preorder coming that I did not expect, nor ask for! This one's a bit out of the ordinary from your standard makeups we usually see 'round these parts...

According to the experts, it'll be appearing sometime in late September unless things don't go as planned with the factory! ;)

This is the very first for Mrs. Savvy & I; I always joked it would go like this (unexpected, out of the blue), and it seems I was right!

Still in shock, and I'm honestly super nervous, but excited for the future. We haven't told our families yet as we're planning to tell them in person in the coming weeks, so I had to spill my beans to somebody.

Cheers, and I'll drink Mrs. Savvy's along with mine! :cheers:

View attachment 1565668

Congratulations! How exciting. The whole process goes by so quickly so enjoy every minute of it!

@GrantStone any pics of the color 8 diesel? Dainite or leather sole?

Not yet but I will post some when the new sample comes in!

Really looking forward to this. I hope on the rubber sole.

It will be on a rubber sole.

postjack

Reaction score
this is one of those personal preference questions that only i can answer for myself, but this is a discussion forum so hey let's discuss.

i'm crazy about my new maduro travellers. love the color and love the unique creasing of shell cordovan (these are my first shell shoes). so when the maduro preorders open up again i want to buy one of the other models. i really wish either the longwing or the tassel loafer was an option, as those two along with the traveller are my favorite GS models. but out of the brass, edward, and PTB, which model do y'all like the best?

the only boot i currently own is a Higgins Mill. i used to wear it a lot, but less so since i moved to GS footwear. so i guess the edward boot makes the most sense, since in my office it could be a business casual option. but i wonder if i'd get more use out of the PTB since i tend to prefer shoes to boots? but the dark horse is the brass boot, when IMO just looks the coolest out of all of them, but might be the least practical option for my usage. but practicality doesn't always bring joy when it comes to style.

anyway thanks for letting me type out my thoughts, if you have any opinions i'm happy to hear them.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is one of those personal preference questions that only i can answer for myself, but this is a discussion forum so hey let's discuss.

i'm crazy about my new maduro travellers. love the color and love the unique creasing of shell cordovan (these are my first shell shoes). so when the maduro preorders open up again i want to buy one of the other models. i really wish either the longwing or the tassel loafer was an option, as those two along with the traveller are my favorite GS models. but out of the brass, edward, and PTB, which model do y'all like the best?

the only boot i currently own is a Higgins Mill. i used to wear it a lot, but less so since i moved to GS footwear. so i guess the edward boot makes the most sense, since in my office it could be a business casual option. but i wonder if i'd get more use out of the PTB since i tend to prefer shoes to boots? but the dark horse is the brass boot, when IMO just looks the coolest out of all of them, but might be the least practical option for my usage. but practicality doesn't always bring joy when it comes to style.

anyway thanks for letting me type out my thoughts, if you have any opinions i'm happy to hear them.

If you prefer shoes over boots, PTB sounds like the way to go. I'm not sure if there's a scenario where the boots would work and the PTBs wouldn't. The boots do have the rubber sole, if you're planning to wear them often in various weather conditions that require them. That'd probably be the main consideration given that you prefer wearing shoes over boots. My 2c

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Boots have been addictive in a way shoes haven't for me which is weird to say since I have more shoes than boots (probably 2X, but that's mainly a function of storage space). But shoes are mainly driven by work, and my list of favorites for wearing casually would be dominated by boots - I love pretty much all of my boots in a way that I don't for most of my shoes.

FWIW, I'd go Edwards - they're super-flexible in terms of how you can wear them, and in Maduro shell...

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer boots and wear them nearly every day but also like how much visible socks can add to an aesthetic. Not about to cuff my pants so high that my socks are always visible though..

In the end it's a decision you have to make. I too would go with the Edward or even more ideally a cap toe boot if it existed in maduro. I'm torn on the brass boots. Sometimes I think they look really cool, and sometimes I think the toe box is just too tall for my preferences.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boots have been addictive in a way shoes haven't for me which is weird to say since I have more shoes than boots (probably 2X, but that's mainly a function of storage space). But shoes are mainly driven by work, and my list of favorites for wearing casually would be dominated by boots - I love pretty much all of my boots in a way that I don't for most of my shoes.

FWIW, I'd go Edwards - they're super-flexible in terms of how you can wear them, and in Maduro shell...
Really like my Crimson Diesels, but I must admit the silhouette of my Loden Edwards are perfect for wearing with a sweatshirt to an OCBD

lfzhao5

Reaction score

Brass all the way for me!

The Higgin mill and Edward is very similar in pattern, go for PTB!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads