• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Shoe color is frustrating to evaluate online. Especially photos posted by shoe owners and bloggers.

Cell phone cameras are notorious for oversaturating color and contrast. Instagrammers also like to boost color and contrast with their photos. Sunny day, cloudy day, indoor lighting, it all makes shoe color look different.

I am a hobbyist photographer. When I edit my photos, I use a monitor designed for color accurate photo editing. My cell phone screen and laptop tend to make colors look more bold than they really are.
I know this is completely off-topic but can you tell which one? I edit my pics in the monitor of my laptop and sometimes they look like I added a lot of contrast... then view the photo in the other monitor and it looks like the contrast was way off. :lol:
Some monitor manufacturers have specific models designed for photographers. Benq and Asus are popular. I have an old Asus. Planning on replacing it with a Benq.

Should we really go down this rabbit hole?

We can discuss how monitors made for photographers will never match each other, meaning each one will be different no matter how much you color correct in the settings. Most importantly, the color will never match the monitor used by the original photographer who took the pictures and color corrected the actual files.

The point is, and as @ronscuba is trying to make I think, is that a website photo will never match the real thing no matter how hard you try because there are too many variables with the biggest one all those billions of "not color corrected" monitors used by all those consumers sitting at home trying to figure out what the color actually looks like. At the end of the day, it is a leap of faith we all take each and every day.

*** written by a person who has a BFA degree in computer graphics, worked for several NYC advertising agencies in creative positions, and then in technical positions and knows way too much about all of this stuff.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Should we really go down this rabbit hole?

We can discuss how monitors made for photographers will never match each other, meaning each one will be different no matter how much you color correct in the settings. Most importantly, the color will never match the monitor used by the original photographer who took the pictures and color corrected the actual files.

The point is, and as @ronscuba is trying to make I think, is that a website photo will never match the real thing no matter how hard you try because there are too many variables with the biggest one all those billions of "not color corrected" monitors used by all those consumers sitting at home trying to figure out what the color actually looks like. At the end of the day, it is a leap of faith we all take each and every day.

*** written by a person who has a BFA degree in computer graphics, worked for several NYC advertising agencies in creative positions, and then in technical positions and knows way too much about all of this stuff.
My motivation for using a photography monitor is I want color accuracy for photo editing. When working with others like retouchers/color editors, having common base color point accuracy is important. Might not be a 100% color match, but if all are using monitors color calibrated to the same point that is much better than each person using some random monitor.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My motivation for using a photography monitor is I want color accuracy for photo editing. When working with others like retouchers/color editors, having common base color point accuracy is important. Might not be a 100% color match, but if all are using monitors color calibrated to the same point that is much better than each person using some random monitor.

Yes but are you all using CRT, LCD, LED? I am sure you know that each one renders colors differently. And how old is each monitor because they lose brightness as they age as well as color saturation. And yes, it will never be 100% match but you can get close as you suggested. This still does not fix the other issue that if the professionals all work together to get the best output for a website, the person at home with their crappy $500 laptop screen will still not see the colors as you intended.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Yes but are you all using CRT, LCD, LED? I am sure you know that each one renders colors differently. And how old is each monitor because they lose brightness as they age as well as color saturation. And yes, it will never be 100% match but you can get close as you suggested. This still does not fix the other issue that if the professionals all work together to get the best output for a website, the person at home with their crappy $500 laptop screen will still not see the colors as you intended.
Photographer takes a series of photos. Let's say 5 will get published online and/or in print. Important the colors and exposure in the 5 photos all look the same, so it is important all members of the team are all viewing and retouching on monitors as closely matched as possible.

Pictures of shoes. Isn't it important to have photos on a site that are color accurate ? Using a color calibrated monitor for retouching can help.

Last edited:

BrandonF

Reaction score
Color accuracy is a pain, especially when bringing something to print. Monitors can only simulate CMYK and in my job we rarely have time for a printed proof when it’s a 24 hour turnaround. You cross your fingers...

Regarding shoes, the other complication is that leather is not a flat color. It has depth, especially the leathers Grant Stone chooses. Dune varies wildly depending on the lighting. Crimson can be plain brown or have reddish tones. And of course the Navy that started this. Plus, the leather can vary itself. My Crimson Diesels were more reddish than my Crimson LWBs.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some shell cap-toes would look real nice.

British Tan looking ready for some maintenance.
6BD394D9-A872-4F43-8FEE-F1EEEFC34B78.jpeg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to do touch ups on my british tan cap toes every few weeks and tried too hard to baby everything. Now I'm letting the scuffs build up more and more. Those look like they'd be fine with just a brush.

ChaoticKinesis

Reaction score
The 9.5D is 3mm longer. The ball girth is nearly the same, less than 1mm fuller on the 9E. Most customers have a hard time differentiating the two. Rarely does the 3mm length play a role with regard to fit because it's common to have a half-inch extra in the front of the shoe.
For the sake of having a complete comparison, how much longer/fuller would the 9E be when compared to the 9D?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a horrible photographer but here’s a quick shot of my new Maduro “Edward” boots. They’re absolutely gorgeous! I’ll try to get some better shots of them tomorrow since I’m going to break them in and wear them to the office.

4B1008FA-32DD-4E0D-B1F7-6539BBC75B20.jpeg

My crappy photos don’t do the shell justice as there is a faint, but definite, marbling to them and they are much more of a brighter brown than what I was able to capture here.

postjack

Reaction score
I’m a horrible photographer but here’s a quick shot of my new Maduro “Edward” boots. They’re absolutely gorgeous! I’ll try to get some better shots of them tomorrow since I’m going to break them in and wear them to the office.

View attachment 1562066

My crappy photos don’t do the shell justice as there is a faint, but definite, marbling to them and they are much more of a brighter brown than what I was able to capture here.

I got my loafers today! Mine basically look black in pictures too, but as you said IRL they are a gorgeous brown. I'll wear them for the first time tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads