• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Maduro shell boots arrived yesterday (nice quick trip from one side of Michigan to the other!) and they are beautiful. I'll have to try to get some pictures of them tonight or tomorrow.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm okay so, if anything, size up a width for shell compared to CXL
Yep, not asking for exact science here. Just whether people who own the loafers in suede or CXL wear a larger size in the shell versions.

So, TLDR of all of that is, no, you take the same size.

It is most common for people to wear the same size in shell. While it doesn't stretch as much, it is true that it isn't pulled over the last with as much tension. That being said, the make is still probably the biggest variance pair to pair.

I have a shell penny and a suede penny right by my desk and between these two pair, the shell actually fits a little fuller. The suede pair is new though and it will stretch out to feel very similar in size to the suede. Out of the dozens of shell pairs I have worn recently, there is not a particular trend of them fitting fuller or tighter than another leather.

My best suggestion would go with the same size but know that shell is less forgiving (edited - one suggestion: if your current loafer is uncomfortably snug, we would suggest a half size up in all materials). Shell takes longer to break in but it will feel much better after the first few weeks. It's easy to forget we are not just breaking in the upper, but the lining, welts, insole, outsole, etc.

Last edited:

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Almost forgot... today we released the navy chromexcel diesel and a tan suede diesel on the vibram wedge sole!

a.jpg
20210129-1F7A5977.jpg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks more 'navy green' than navy blue from the photos. But it sure is a pretty color. Love the tan with the wedge sole

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So nice. Is there any chance you have more Waxy Commander/Earth offerings coming in the near future?

There will be an earth chukka and brass boot this summer.

Looks more 'navy green' than navy blue from the photos. But it sure is a pretty color. Love the tan with the wedge sole

It's funny because the one time we decide to use the tanneries color name, we probably shouldn't have. We just try to call this out in the description because there is green in most of the pairs. Same with the navy penny.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Shoe color is frustrating to evaluate online. Especially photos posted by shoe owners and bloggers.

Cell phone cameras are notorious for oversaturating color and contrast. Instagrammers also like to boost color and contrast with their photos. Sunny day, cloudy day, indoor lighting, it all makes shoe color look different.

I am a hobbyist photographer. When I edit my photos, I use a monitor designed for color accurate photo editing. My cell phone screen and laptop tend to make colors look more bold than they really are.

Last edited:

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe color is frustrating to evaluate online. Especially photos posted by shoe owners and bloggers.

Cell phones are notorious for oversaturating color and contrast. Instagrammers also like to boost color and contrast with their photos. Sunny day, cloudy day, indoor lighting, it all makes shoe color look different.

I am a hobbyist photographer. When I edit my photos, I use a monitor designed for color accurate photo editing. My cell phone screen and laptop tend to make colors look more bold than they really are.
I agree, but I have also owned Grant Stone's navy CXL loafers for a bit. The leather has quite a bit of green in it. Just like greencast denim exists I suppose you could call this CXL a greencast navy..

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is most common for people to wear the same size in shell. While it doesn't stretch as much, it is true that it isn't pulled over the last with as much tension. That being said, the make is still probably the biggest variance pair to pair.

I have a shell penny and a suede penny right by my desk and between these two pair, the shell actually fits a little fuller. The suede pair is new though and it will stretch out to feel very similar in size to the suede. Out of the dozens of shell pairs I have worn recently, there is not a particular trend of them fitting fuller or tighter than another leather.

My best suggestion would go with the same size but know that shell is less forgiving (edited - one suggestion: if your current loafer is uncomfortably snug, we would suggest a half size up in all materials). Shell takes longer to break in but it will feel much better after the first few weeks. It's easy to forget we are not just breaking in the upper, but the lining, welts, insole, outsole, etc.

That's helpful - thank you.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
Hi, i'm wondering what is the width/Length difference between 9E and 9.5D for Leo last?

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi, i'm wondering what is the width/Length difference between 9E and 9.5D for Leo last?

The 9.5D is 3mm longer. The ball girth is nearly the same, less than 1mm fuller on the 9E. Most customers have a hard time differentiating the two. Rarely does the 3mm length play a role with regard to fit because it's common to have a half-inch extra in the front of the shoe.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
The 9.5D is 3mm longer. The ball girth is nearly the same, less than 1mm fuller on the 9E. Most customers have a hard time differentiating the two. Rarely does the 3mm length play a role with regard to fit because it's common to have a half-inch extra in the front of the shoe.
Thanks!
That left over 9.5D honey glazed shell is looking for a home ;).

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cell phone cameras are notorious for oversaturating color and contrast. Instagrammers also like to boost color and contrast with their photos. Sunny day, cloudy day, indoor lighting, it all makes shoe color look different.

I know this is completely off-topic but can you tell which one? I edit my pics in the monitor of my laptop and sometimes they look like I added a lot of contrast... then view the photo in the other monitor and it looks like the contrast was way off. :lol:

ronscuba

Reaction score
I know this is completely off-topic but can you tell which one? I edit my pics in the monitor of my laptop and sometimes they look like I added a lot of contrast... then view the photo in the other monitor and it looks like the contrast was way off. :lol:
Some monitor manufacturers have specific models designed for photographers. Benq and Asus are popular. I have an old Asus. Planning on replacing it with a Benq.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads