• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kevintk

Reaction score
I've noticed this on shoes/boots and even minimalist sneakers that had cork from at least 5 different brands. It usually gets better over time. Only time it didn't was on an AE pair.. Not sure if it's due to too much cork in that particular area or what.
Normal from what I have seen. I was just looking at this today in a pair of Crockett & Jones Coniston boots I have. Very pronounced but I don't notice when I walk around.

Excellent– thank you for the reassurance. Looking forward to breaking these in.

austinpigalle

Reaction score
Back with another question for you all, this time about the chelsea boots...

First, I'm curious about sizing: I've read a few reviews, and I can't quite tell how these fit compared to the Leo last. I currently have a pair of cap-toe's in a 9E, and they fit really well. Unfortunately, the closest size that's currently available is an 8.5D (looks like E widths aren't available). Is there any chance these would fit? It's tough to tell exactly how much room I have in the 9E's, but I'd guess ~1.5cm, possibly a little more.

Also, for those who have worn these chelseas, is the height ever an issue? It looks like they're quite a bit shorter than RM Williams, Meermin's, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

BrandonF

Reaction score
Hmm okay so, if anything, size up a width for shell compared to CXL

Id think it would depend if the CXL was a bit snug when you got them and you relied on them stretching out. If the CXL fit fine out of the box, I’d think you’d wear the same size.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Id think it would depend if the CXL was a bit snug when you got them and you relied on them stretching out. If the CXL fit fine out of the box, I’d think you’d wear the same size.

CXL will stretch out a bit, I prefer a snug fit to start, as I know it will "expand" over the course of break-in.

Yes, I'm asking because the suede/CXL versions are tight, especially in the insteps..sized down 0.5 from Brannock.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I'm asking because the suede/CXL versions are tight, especially in the insteps..sized down 0.5 from Brannock.
I go down 1/2 from Brannock as a matter of course. Suede(loafers) are tight across vamp to begin with, but loosen up nicely. CXL boots seem to be fine from day 1.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Right but shell doesn't loosen like suede or CXL hence my question.
Probably should email @GrantStone. If it’s the exact same fit, I’d assume you’d need to go up a size or width, but as @NYCTechNerd mentioned they may already factor that in. I don’t own any shell so I don’t know firsthand.

Search by my user name in this thread as I posted about how each type of leather gives (or does not give) and @GrantStone "Liked It". I basically stated that shell gives the least, then suede, then calfskin, and then CXL but the difference is rarely ever enough to change sizing based on material in a structured/lined shoe.

In an unstructured shoe such as an unlined loafer, it comes down to personal preference and if the user will wear them with socks or not. Simply, there are too many variables to determine by asking on an internet forum so at best we can give you guidelines based on our individual experiences which you will then have to extrapolate for your own personal fit needs based on the shape and size of your individual foot.

As an example, if I plan to wear a CXL loafer with no socks, I might choose 1/2 size smaller than a suede loafer I plan to wear with socks all the time but then what if I change my mind and want to wear no socks with the suede loafer and socks with the CXL loafer? This is not an exact science. As-in what if we start to think about manufacturing tolerances and the fact that no two hides will be tanned the same way, stretch the same way, be lasted the same way even if made into the exact same shoe on the exact same day by the exact same person (which statistically will never happen). My point is shoes are hand-made items and no two pairs even in the same size and on the same last will ever be the exact same to ISO9001 standards so vive la différence.

And, I purchase the same size loafer assuming it was made on the same last (even if with a different material).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads