• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kevintk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of the black diesel boots with the rubber sole, size 9.5EEE. The fit is excellent and the boots are badass, however I've noticed something strange about them since wearing them a bit here and there.

On the underside of the boot on the outsole, near the center/ball of the foot area, there is pronounced bulge, or rather, the sole curves up quite aggressively on either side from the centerline. When walking in these boots, it feels like I'm stepping on an uneven surface where my foot/the boot wants to wobble either to the left or right of this bulge.

My question is: Is this typical for new boots of this nature and should I continue to try and break them in, or should I reach out to GS and request an exchange?

I've attached two photos that depict the sole coming to a peak of about 1-1.5 inches of material.

Thank you!

IMG_6918.jpg

IMG_6919.jpg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of the black diesel boots with the rubber sole, size 9.5EEE. The fit is excellent and the boots are badass, however I've noticed something strange about them since wearing them a bit here and there.

On the underside of the boot on the outsole, near the center/ball of the foot area, there is pronounced bulge, or rather, the sole curves up quite aggressively on either side from the centerline. When walking in these boots, it feels like I'm stepping on an uneven surface where my foot/the boot wants to wobble either to the left or right of this bulge.

My question is: Is this typical for new boots of this nature and should I continue to try and break them in, or should I reach out to GS and request an exchange?

I've attached two photos that depict the sole coming to a peak of about 1-1.5 inches of material.

Thank you!

View attachment 1559403
View attachment 1559404
I've noticed this on shoes/boots and even minimalist sneakers that had cork from at least 5 different brands. It usually gets better over time. Only time it didn't was on an AE pair.. Not sure if it's due to too much cork in that particular area or what.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

Thank you!

Normal from what I have seen. I was just looking at this today in a pair of Crockett & Jones Coniston boots I have. Very pronounced but I don't notice when I walk around.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them so much, at some point I might get the tassel loafer or another pair in calf. This is my most worn pair of footwear in 2020 and were purchase during the quarantine sale, which goes to show how much I enjoyed wearing them. They’re getting dirty, but I’m sure the suede can handle it.
0C7304C9-CEAE-4925-ADE6-AFD0CC31B08F.jpeg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like them so much, at some point I might get the tassel loafer or another pair in calf. This is my most worn pair of footwear in 2020 and were purchase during the quarantine sale, which goes to show how much I enjoyed wearing them. They’re getting dirty, but I’m sure the suede can handle it. View attachment 1560020

Clean
Condition
Waterproof

1613968415447.png
1613968479763.png
1613968508679.png

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clean
Condition
Waterproof

View attachment 1560034 View attachment 1560035 View attachment 1560036
Good job on the recs.
1613968905528.gif
1613968953894.gif

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have learned a great deal in the past 18 months since I really decided to up my shoe game (and since my wife has me taking care of her shoes now that I am the supposed expert).

In a perfect world, one would condition and waterproof suede and nubuck shoes before the first wear but life does not always work out that way. Below are some videos but here is my abbreviated version:
  1. Brush with nylon bristle brush (not brass) to remove most surface dirt
  2. Try a suede eraser for the surface dirt the nylon brush did not remove
  3. Clean with Saphir Omni'Nettoyant Suede Shampoo, stuff with paper (not shoe trees), let dry for 2-3 days
  4. Condition with Saphir Renovateur Suede & Nubuck Conditioning Spray, let dry for 24 hours
  5. Waterproof with Saphir Super Invulner Waterproofing Spray *, let dry for 24 hours
* Some people like High Tech Nano Protector Spray but I worry about using it on fine suede and nubuck (although I do use it on my non-organic material winter boots). Reapply every 6 to 12 months depending on how much you wear them and if the waterproof spray is still working.
** Some people only wait 1 day for suede to dry, 15 minutes for conditioner, and 15 minutes for waterproof but my attitude is we all have several pairs of shoes so I like to give it some extra time to "dry and cure".

postjack

Reaction score
I just got a shipping notification for my Maduro shell Edward Boot! Very excited to get them. I’ve got a pair of shell PTB but this will be my first pair of boots from GS!

my maduro loafers shipped as well! en route and should be here wednesday assuming no delays. not my first grant stone, not my first traveller, but it will be the first shell i have from any brand.

tennisboygr

Reaction score
Sorry, we don't have these lasts or patterns. The only option (which you may have tried already) is going down half a size and staying in EEE. We have found when in-between widths, more customers will find a comfort zone in the wider width.

I'm going to try the 6.5 in an E. Unfortunately, the 6EEE did not work for me. Fingers crossed on the 6.5E!

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have learned a great deal in the past 18 months since I really decided to up my shoe game (and since my wife has me taking care of her shoes now that I am the supposed expert).

In a perfect world, one would condition and waterproof suede and nubuck shoes before the first wear but life does not always work out that way. Below are some videos but here is my abbreviated version:
  3. Clean with Saphir Omni'Nettoyant Suede Shampoo, stuff with paper (not shoe trees), let dry for 2-3 days
  4. Condition with Saphir Renovateur Suede & Nubuck Conditioning Spray, let dry for 24 hours
  5. Waterproof with Saphir Super Invulner Waterproofing Spray *, let dry for 24 hours
* Some people like High Tech Nano Protector Spray but I worry about using it on fine suede and nubuck (although I do use it on my non-organic material winter boots). Reapply every 6 to 12 months depending on how much you wear them and if the waterproof spray is still working.
** Some people only wait 1 day for suede to dry, 15 minutes for conditioner, and 15 minutes for waterproof but my attitude is we all have several pairs of shoes so I like to give it some extra time to "dry and cure".

1614006555484.gif

bigtimejackq

Reaction score

Thank you for this. This is very helpful I have new nubuck pair waiting to be worn and have not yet done what I need to do with them. Thank you!

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of suede travelers in 10.5 which are a bit tight in the instep and ball. I also tried on 10.5E which felt kind of loose overall.
What would be the best option in terms of sizing? Would 10E possibly be better?

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this. This is very helpful I have new nubuck pair waiting to be worn and have not yet done what I need to do with them. Thank you!
You might find this thread helpful if you're ever in need of any sort of shoe care advice.

I have a pair of suede travelers in 10.5 which are a bit tight in the instep and ball. I also tried on 10.5E which felt kind of loose overall.
What would be the best option in terms of sizing? Would 10E possibly be better?
It ultimately depends on how you like your loafers to fit. I prefer a snug and secure fit. Others love and seek the slipper feel.
If 10.5D & 10.5E didn't work, then naturally I would try 10E just be aware that the loafer will reduce in length. If it feels like your toes won't be jammed in the toebox by going down .5 a size then why not. Also, after some wear, they do loosen up a bit.
Grant Stone CS is one of the few shoemakers or retailers I'd trust wholeheartedly about sizing advice via email.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads