• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't think I'll be searching through 776 pages of this thread looking for that, but I hear ya.

Well, to be fair, I have nothing but effusive praise for the product itself, but one mans insignificant is another mans big deal. But I will take your advice and contact their customer service. I too would be shocked if they'd intentionally let the box out of the warehouse like that, so I assumed it was either a mistake (less likely) or happened in shipping (more likely.) The shoes were noticeably heavy when I first got them, so I imagine that would put the box in greater peril in shipping. I wouldn't even care but I like to make use of the boxes. Anyway, I was just reporting on my experience, not passing judgment.

Here's a few pics of the absolutely awesome boots, and the box. It wasn't fair to just show a picture of the damaged box without the amazing boots. View attachment 1541700 View attachment 1541699 .
View attachment 1541701

I am sorry if you misread/misunderstood my comment. I never meant to judge how much it mattered to you. I was simply using it in context to how happy your are with the boots and that a damaged box can be easily remedied. I would have been more concerned if you were not happy with the boots because that would have been a significant issue. Either way, they look good and I hope you get much enjoyment from them.

And, my wife and I have always lived in small urban apartments, on purpose, so we "need" the boxes as we do not have room for large shoe storage racks that many others use.

Guys, I know GS customer service and QC is top shelf but my shell Edwards box arrived exactly like this. Definitely not impossible.

I too had a torn box show up but not that bad. In my experience, @GrantStone packs very well with sturdy outer boxes so maybe it is something they need to change in their process to avoid this in the future knowing delivery companies are not being careful with their shipments.

As an example, I am into high end custom bicycles and wheels. A small USA maker of high end carbon wheels would always include quick release skewers with their wheels. The skewers were put into a small plastic bag and then taped to the inside of the box. A few people, including me, had the box show up with the steel skewers banging around in the box and into the very expensive carbon wheels (think $2500+), which can cause serious damage, because they poked through the plastic bag and got loose. After a few reports the maker thanked those who reported it, replaced any damaged wheels, specified a stronger plastic bag, and asked his shipping team to place more tape over the bag when they attached it to the box. Simple solution to a simple problem that the company would not have know about if people did not report it directly to them.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've received shoes in a box like that. Don't remember if it was Allen Edmonds or Grant Stone, because I didn't care. I go to Container Store if I want a quality box for storing stuff. Or, just tape the box. To me, it is pretty trivial.

Judge not, that ye be not judged

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Page 777 - cool.

20190403_180047.jpg

tshill

Reaction score
“I mean, really, how often do you look at a man’s shoe’s box?” - Red, probably.

BrandonF

Reaction score
If the contents are not damaged, it's just a box.

I get that some people want to keep the box and use the box, but the designed purpose of a box is to protect the contents, especially during shipping. If the contents are ok, the box served its purpose. Anything else is aesthetics.

I do agree for a premium brand, it’s not a good look however, and probably something Grant Stone will want to address if it has happened more than a couple of times.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I get that some people want to keep the box and use the box, but the designed purpose of a box is to protect the contents, especially during shipping. If the contents are ok, the box served its purpose. Anything else is aesthetics.

I do agree for a premium brand, it’s not a good look however, and probably something Grant Stone will want to address if it has happened more than a couple of times.
I did, once have a GS B-stock box come in similar fashion, but the outer box looked like UPS had played football with it and kicked it between the uprights for a win in the warehouse. Boots were fine.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If the contents are not damaged, it's just a box.
“I mean, really, how often do you look at a man’s shoe’s box?” - Red, probably.

You are incorrect.

As an urban dweller, I use the original shoe boxes to store the shoes because I do not have the luxury of space like you suburbanites who use luxurious open racks to store and display your shoes.

If the box showed up like that I would inform the company for the reason I mentioned above and then I would just stick some tape on it to use it as-is but that is my decision. To be fair to the OP (who is a new member), if it is important to him then he should have a new box which I fully support and others should not judge him for it. What you find important may be insignificant to the OP and you would not like it if he were to tell you that your concerns were not important.

Let's please move on as we have spent too much time discussing shoe boxes.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are incorrect.

As an urban dweller, I use the original shoe boxes to store the shoes because I do not have the luxury of space like you suburbanites who use luxurious open racks to store and display your shoes.

If the box showed up like that I would inform the company for the reason I mentioned above and then I would just stick some tape on it to use it as-is but that is my decision. To be fair to the OP (who is a new member), if it is important to him then he should have a new box which I fully support and others should not judge him for it. What you find important may be insignificant to the OP and you would not like it if he were to tell you that your concerns were not important.

Let's please move on as we have spent too much time discussing shoe boxes.
Points well taken, good post.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The chukka looks like a fun option. What is the ETA on those? I'm dying for the GS tan suede/crepe boot. I know they don't look perfect forever, but I don't care.

On a different note--how does the bourbon suede color compare to the Alden snuff suede?

BTW I love suede.

I'm glad to hear that! The chukka should be released around late may.

Just got the Brass Boots I ordered. The boots are amazing. So substantial. I had a pair of classic Red Wing mocs to compare them too and the Grant Stones are on a different level. Plus, they shipped them out very promptly. I have worn a size 13 since 10th grade (in my 40's now), but I followed their sizing guidance and ordered a 12 (there is no 12.5.) Fit is dead on. In fact, my only complaint is the shoe box. I like to hold on to all my shoeboxes on my nice shoes and store them in the original box when I won't be wearing them for awhile. Unfortunately, my shoebox came like this, which I was borderline shocked by. The attention to detail and quality was top notch everywhere else so I was really surprised that the box came damaged. I suppose it could have been damaged in shipping, but the shipping box was pristine, so it seems unlikely. View attachment 1541660

The shoe box has been a focus of ours for quite a while now since it plays a big role in the presentation. We have updated our box 2 times now to try and improve this issue. Our original box was already quite strong all things considered. The reality is a lot of these shoes/boots are north of 6 pounds and will undergo a lot of hits before being delivered.

We reviewed the handling portion with UPS but there isn't anything that can be addressed on their side so we actually made a new box that has two layers around the base (and reinforced corners). I've never tried this before but the test results were very good and while we have only had a couple of shipments with the new boxes, it's been a big improvement. The last thing we are considering implementing is a different filler around the shoe box in the carton to try and create a layer of padding.

A lot of companies shipping heavier footwear such as western boots tend to use corrugated instead of cardstock which has more give and will tear before popping at the corners. That would be a last resort though considering a corrugated box isn't an ideal presentation for packaging.

Last edited:

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Storm Kudu Ottowas today. These are my most "fashion-forward" pair of footwear, aside from some Alden saddle shoes, and I just love them. They are so much fun to wear on the weekends. I debated getting these, due to the unusual leather and color, but now I'm so glad to have them.
FAAF2EF0-9BD4-464D-B7A5-B9A0F6793018_1_105_c.jpeg

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I did, once have a GS B-stock box come in similar fashion, but the outer box looked like UPS had played football with it and kicked it between the uprights for a win in the warehouse. Boots were fine.

On the more humorous side of the long topic of shoe boxes, this was my experience last summer with a pair of Indy boots. Clearly the UPS driver used the box to get himself out of the mud or something. Fortunately, the situation was quickly resolved by TSM.

IMG_2001.jpeg

IMG_2002.jpeg

IMG_2004.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads