• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@GrantStone when will size 9.5 E will be available in black diesel and dune penny loafers ??
Also i dont see the B grade page on the website?
Thank you.

Unfortunately it's looking like May or so. Logistics has given us a tough hand this spring and summer with delayed orders. It will take almost the first half of the year to really receive most of our planned fill ins.

The B Grade page should be up next week!

@GrantStone I love the look of the Earth Chelsea boot, but it has been out of stock in 9.5 forever. Any chance there will be a restock?

I know... another one pushed back a bit. The earth Chelsea should be late March, early April.

Have there been any published photos of the chukkas? What leathers/soles will be offered?

I don't have any photography of the chukka make-ups just yet, but all 3 will be on a crepe sole. It may not be the most popular choice out of the gate but the sole works really well with this pattern and creates a very different product. We will start with a Crimson, Earth and Tan suede. Here is a photo of one of the earlier fit trials.
IMG_3769.jpg

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I don't have any photography of the chukka make-ups just yet, but all 3 will be on a crepe sole. It may not be the most popular choice out of the gate but the sole works really well with this pattern and creates a very different product. We will start with a Crimson, Earth and Tan suede. Here is a photo of one of the earlier fit trials.
View attachment 1541010
Certainly agree this is a great looking Chukka. I get that crepe soles are comfy and long wearing, and in the black like this the dirt won't show. Light colored crepes get too nasty for my taste though, but your point is well taken.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Certainly agree this is a great looking Chukka. I get that crepe soles are comfy and long wearing, and in the black like this the dirt won't show. Light colored crepes get too nasty for my taste though, but your point is well taken.

Agreed on the lighter colors. Only the tan suede will have a gum/tan colored crepe while the other two will be black. I hope we can add this black suede that is above in the photo down the road as well.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am just going to leave this here.... @GrantStone quality and finishing is some of the best I have ever seen.

During the past 18 months, I purchased 30+ pairs from Allen Edmonds (all but 1 returned), 2 from Alden (both kept although one has some minor cosmetic issues), 1 from Carmina (no issues), and 4 Grant Stone (no issues).

I am not sure if GS manufacturing tolerances are stricter than the other brands or if their QC is held to a higher standard but what actually shows up at your door is just so darn good.
I still do not understand why AE can't get their $hit together. It appears they are on the path of Florsheim, J&M, Cole Hann, and similar brands who outsourced to china because it was cheap and they (the corporate overlords) were chasing profits. Honestly, do you really think Caleres cares about AE customers?

Made in China use to be garbage but it is amazing what Wyatt (and crew/family) have done over the years. This was not supposed to be about bashing AE, I only used them for context to show how good Grant Stone is now.

As to Alden, it will be interesting to see if they turn into a special make-up-only brand rather than have stock shoes. Why else pay the premium unless you are getting something special/limited?

I appreciate the kind words. A lot of this seems to come down to the business model and size of the company. For us, we know that QC needs to be one of our priorities since we are selling direct, and we are a young company.

The team making the shoes and inspecting in Xiamen do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to this and we seem to have turned a corner in the make process now that we are a few years in. It's always a work in process but the small details or fit and finish have been going in the right direction.

A good example of this is the first batch of brass boots. They really did a great job with each pair (which is tough to do) and to some customers dismay since there are no B Grades ?

ejj

Reaction score
The chukka looks like a fun option. What is the ETA on those? I'm dying for the GS tan suede/crepe boot. I know they don't look perfect forever, but I don't care.

On a different note--how does the bourbon suede color compare to the Alden snuff suede?

BTW I love suede.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chukka looks like a fun option. What is the ETA on those? I'm dying for the GS tan suede/crepe boot. I know they don't look perfect forever, but I don't care.

On a different note--how does the bourbon suede color compare to the Alden snuff suede?

BTW I love suede.

Bourbon is darker. More "brown". Some folks posted comparison pics earlier in the thread:

There is a different in color, GS Bourbon Suede on the left, Alden Snuff Suede on the right View attachment 1255554

Wish I could help. Espresso is the only suede Traveler I don't have, for now. Bourbon is similar but different from snuff.

Bourbon on the outside, Alden snuff in the middle. View attachment 1371043

Saleemmd

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's looking like May or so. Logistics has given us a tough hand this spring and summer with delayed orders. It will take almost the first half of the year to really receive most of our planned fill ins.

The B Grade page should be up next week!

I know... another one pushed back a bit. The earth Chelsea should be late March, early April.

View attachment 1541010
Thanks for the update..i had ordered black diesel boot and dune penny loafers and had requested for exchange in 9.5E size and looks like i need to wait till may..?

EZBZ

Reaction score
Just got the Brass Boots I ordered. The boots are amazing. So substantial. I had a pair of classic Red Wing mocs to compare them too and the Grant Stones are on a different level. Plus, they shipped them out very promptly. I have worn a size 13 since 10th grade (in my 40's now), but I followed their sizing guidance and ordered a 12 (there is no 12.5.) Fit is dead on. In fact, my only complaint is the shoe box. I like to hold on to all my shoeboxes on my nice shoes and store them in the original box when I won't be wearing them for awhile. Unfortunately, my shoebox came like this, which I was borderline shocked by. The attention to detail and quality was top notch everywhere else so I was really surprised that the box came damaged. I suppose it could have been damaged in shipping, but the shipping box was pristine, so it seems unlikely. View attachment 1541660

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just got the Brass Boots I ordered. The boots are amazing. So substantial. I had a pair of classic Red Wing mocs to compare them too and the Grant Stones are on a different level. Plus, they shipped them out very promptly. I have worn a size 13 since 10th grade (in my 40's now), but I followed their sizing guidance and ordered a 12 (there is no 12.5.) Fit is dead on. In fact, my only complaint is the shoe box. I like to hold on to all my shoeboxes on my nice shoes and store them in the original box when I won't be wearing them for awhile. Unfortunately, my shoebox came like this, which I was borderline shocked by. The attention to detail and quality was top notch everywhere else so I was really surprised that the box came damaged. I suppose it could have been damaged in shipping, but the shipping box was pristine, so it seems unlikely. View attachment 1541660

Welcome and go back to read through others posts in this thread and you will soon realize that there is no way @GrantStone sent out a box that way. If it is that important to you, contact them first (rather than post negative comments here for such an insignificant issue) and ask if they will help remedy it for you. I am sure the answer will be YES. If so, come back here and post about their great customer service too.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
it had to happen during shipping. No way GS would send it like that. be sure to post some pics of the boots. This Brass boot may be my next boot purchase.

EZBZ

Reaction score
Welcome and go back to read through others posts in this thread and you will soon realize that there is no way @GrantStone sent out a box that way. If it is that important to you, contact them first (rather than post negative comments here for such an insignificant issue) and ask if they will help remedy it for you. I am sure the answer will be YES. If so, come back here and post about their great customer service too.

I don't think I'll be searching through 776 pages of this thread looking for that, but I hear ya.

Well, to be fair, I have nothing but effusive praise for the product itself, but one mans insignificant is another mans big deal. But I will take your advice and contact their customer service. I too would be shocked if they'd intentionally let the box out of the warehouse like that, so I assumed it was either a mistake (less likely) or happened in shipping (more likely.) The shoes were noticeably heavy when I first got them, so I imagine that would put the box in greater peril in shipping. I wouldn't even care but I like to make use of the boxes. Anyway, I was just reporting on my experience, not passing judgment.

Here's a few pics of the absolutely awesome boots, and the box. It wasn't fair to just show a picture of the damaged box without the amazing boots.
20210123_150306.jpg
20210123_150400.jpg
20210122_185756.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think I'll be searching through 776 pages of this thread looking for that, but I hear ya.

Well, to be fair, I have nothing but effusive praise for the product itself, but one mans insignificant is another mans big deal. But I will take your advice and contact their customer service. I too would be shocked if they'd intentionally let the box out of the warehouse like that, so I assumed it was either a mistake (less likely) or happened in shipping (more likely.) The shoes were noticeably heavy when I first got them, so I imagine that would put the box in greater peril in shipping. I wouldn't even care but I like to make use of the boxes. Anyway, I was just reporting on my experience, not passing judgment.

Here's a few pics of the absolutely awesome boots, and the box. It wasn't fair to just show a picture of the damaged box without the amazing boots. View attachment 1541700 View attachment 1541699 .
View attachment 1541701
I seriously doubt that GS would have let a torn box get shipped.

darkclassic

Reaction score
My shell Edwards box arrived just like that as well. My guess is that the shipping box is big enough that the boots shifted during a sudden sharp movement and blew out the corner of the shoe box. A more snug shipping box might help, but it can happen.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads