• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I like Guarded Goods, Alden, and Viberg flat waxed laces. The Guarded Goods ones are a bit different from the Alden and Viberg laces which look and feel a little more sleek. As far as I can tell the Alden and Viberg laces are basically exactly the same besides the color. Perhaps they source their laces from the same place.

@cpr81 Guarded Goods whiskey waxed cotton laces and tan leather laces are both great complements to a natural welt, saddle tan, and bourbon suede in my opinion!

I was able to get some Guarded Goods laces from The Shoe Mart that were actually out-of-stock with the GG online site. Of course along with Alden laces, so all from one vendor.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bourbon suede Ottawa boots today.

A6125FB7-E9E8-41CE-B5BF-C2BA63DF060C.jpeg

cpr81

Reaction score
If laces are too long, wrap around the shaft once then tie, should take up the extra length
For laces length it helps if you wrap it around the ankle. But I agree they’re too long for my taste, as I prefer using the speed hooks. I’ve had good success with Guarded Goods wide cotton laces. The whiskey color matches the natural welt on the Dunes very close.
I like Guarded Goods, Alden, and Viberg flat waxed laces. The Guarded Goods ones are a bit different from the Alden and Viberg laces which look and feel a little more sleek. As far as I can tell the Alden and Viberg laces are basically exactly the same besides the color. Perhaps they source their laces from the same place.

@cpr81 Guarded Goods whiskey waxed cotton laces and tan leather laces are both great complements to a natural welt, saddle tan, and bourbon suede in my opinion!

Thanks all. I’m not a huge fan of wrapping the laces around the ankle myself. I’ve also used Guarded Goods laces many times and will probably grab something from them again. I actually had a spare pair of their wide flat waxed boot laces but due to the smaller eyelets on the Cap Toe boots along with the heavy amount of wax on the laces, they were too difficult to thread.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I’m not a huge fan of wrapping the laces around the ankle myself. I’ve also used Guarded Goods laces many times and will probably grab something from them again. I actually had a spare pair of their wide flat waxed boot laces but due to the smaller eyelets on the Cap Toe boots along with the heavy amount of wax on the laces, they were too difficult to thread.
The thinner variation would be better for the cap toe boots for sure. The thicker ones are nice for the larger eyelets on the Diesel and Ottawa boots.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look great. I have to admit I initially wasn’t a fan of the split toe but it grows on my every time I see it.
It took me a while to warm up to split toe boots and then a while longer to warm up to the massive eyelets on the Diesel/Ottawa boots. Now I'd consider them among my absolute favorite styles.

Last edited:

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
deets on trousers....
Man, I'm on my D-list in pants today. 4th string. Some old cotton twills from Lands End. Walking in the fields today, so wore something I wouldn't mind getting messed up. Not even ironed. Great color though.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a picture of the GS Chukka boots around @GrantStone ? I remember it being on the thread, but so many pages of photos to look through to see it again lol, update with how it is going would be cool too!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads