• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I haven't seen much kangeroo or ostrich. Looking forward to the pics. Essex and kudu are definitely a few of my favorites!

Have you guys considered using kudu suede at some point? The reverse side of CF Stead's kudu is easily my favorite suede from what I've tried up until now.

Got these 'bergs a couple weeks ago in CFS midnight reverse kudu. Strong stuff, yet about the softest leather you can find in a boot. Really looking forward to the new GS makeups.

IMG_9927.JPG

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got these 'bergs a couple weeks ago in CFS midnight reverse kudu. Strong stuff, yet about the softest leather you can find in a boot. Really looking forward to the new GS makeups.

View attachment 1508090
Beautiful stuff. I am wearing my flint kudu suede ranger mocs today and am waiting for a pair of flint kudu cap toe boots from Rancourt. The color and softness of the CF Stead kudu suede I've tried or have at least seen is always fantastic. Can't imagine not loving it with Grant Stone's patterns and quality control.

Would almost definitely be a buy from me in either Ottawa, cap toe boot, or LWB. Or perhaps a new style if there are any.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Are any of them in burgundy shades? I have seen some examples of burgundy kudu and they looked amazing

They aren't but I totally agree, the burgundy and purple kudus are great.

Any chance the Chelsea Boots will be getting an E width next year, hopefully by next Fall/Winter?

This is a tough one. We are considering going into a EE or EEE. The single E width is so similar to the D that many of our customers still wont be able to wear them unless we go into a wider option. Still contemplating this one!

I haven't seen much kangeroo or ostrich. Looking forward to the pics. Essex and kudu are definitely a few of my favorites!

Have you guys considered using kudu suede at some point? The reverse side of CF Stead's kudu is easily my favorite suede from what I've tried up until now.

The ostrich looks unreal, although it may not be for most. Reverse kudu is really nice and will be considered down the road as we grow the kudu line.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a tough one. We are considering going into a EE or EEE. The single E width is so similar to the D that many of our customers still wont be able to wear them unless we go into a wider option. Still contemplating this one!
Hmmmm, really? What would you suggest someone who takes a 9.5E in the Diesel to take in this, a 9.5D? Or should we wait until a EE option? Unsure if EE would be too wide for me or not

JohnL1972

Reaction score
We have only sampled it before but it is an interesting color. The only issue is if you are used to the shell color 8, the chromexcel version is more purple and not as dark. To me, the color 8 shell is really sharp because it's so dark, making it versatile and not over the top.
Love that GS shell offerings have been colors that you don’t see frequently offered elsewhere.

Samir

Reaction score
Looking for a casual derby and loving the look of these. Was the combo of contrasted welt and brass eyelets ever offered in a dark brown leather?

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Looking for a casual derby and loving the look of these. Was the combo of contrasted welt and brass eyelets ever offered in a dark brown leather?

Technically the one you linked is a "blucher":

They have a dark brown in CXL with eyelets "derby" on rubber sole:

*** The best way to tell the difference between blucher and derby is to look at both shoes from the sideview.

BrandonF

Reaction score

The closest would be the crimson PTB, which has a contrasted welt but no brass eyelets, or the Dark Walnut derby, which had the brass eyelets but no contrasted welt.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Technically the one you linked is a "blucher":

They have a dark brown in CXL with eyelets "derby" on rubber sole:

*** The best way to tell the difference between blucher and derby is to look at both shoes from the sideview.

Thanks for the info. I had previously been under the impression that Oxford/balmoral and derby/blucher was a British/USA thing. Nice to know the actual difference.

In that regard, much prefer Grant Stone’s PTB to their derby. Much cleaner in my opinion.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I had previously been under the impression that Oxford/balmoral and derby/blucher was a British/USA thing. Nice to know the actual difference.

In that regard, much prefer Grant Stone’s PTB to their derby. Much cleaner in my opinion.

For me it depends on the specific shoe, I like the GS "derby" dirty buck and also like the CXL "bluchers".

The funniest thing is that most manufacturers get it wrong.

I recently figured out the difference between SWB and LWB.

A Balmoral is a type of Oxford. Let Kirby explain it:

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing so far. I'm not sure if we will be adding too many calf over the next year. Actually, calf has been a very small part of our sales when compared to the CXL, veg tanned leathers or even suede. We have more articles in development now though for next year including essex, more kudu, kangaroo and most exciting, ostrich. The ostrich boot looks pretty amazing, I will post photos here soon.

@GrantStone Anything planned in Maryam/Italian/Horween Horsebutt/Horsehide ?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, Black Friday sales are finally over ?
Where are the Christmas sales at? Before you know it we’ll be there ?

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hmmmm, really? What would you suggest someone who takes a 9.5E in the Diesel to take in this, a 9.5D? Or should we wait until a EE option? Unsure if EE would be too wide for me or not

If the Leo E fits you really well, the EE would be a better option in the UK last. The Chelea (UK last) is slightly narrower in the ball area.

It has not! The only other contrast upper/welt shoe with eyelets was navy CXL.

@GrantStone Anything planned in Maryam/Italian/Horween Horsebutt/Horsehide ?

Nothing in the works other than the maduro shell pre order coming up. Any other horse we plan to make will most likely be Horween however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads