• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thinking of having a Dune and a Crimson @GrantStone converted to wedge sole. I really like the idea of the Saddle Tan Veg version but not crazy about the high contrast white sole. What do others think of the idea?
(sorry about the child like renderings)

Crimson with black sole - might also have the welt dyed brown or black
Crimson with vibram sole.jpg

Dune with chocolate brown sole - will probably leave the welt natural
Dune with vibram sole.jpg

Veg Tan (stock shoe)
Veg Tan with vibram sole.jpg

Last edited:

BrandonF

Reaction score
Thinking of having a Dune and a Crimson @GrantStone converted to wedge sole. I really like the idea of the Saddle Tan Veg version but not crazy about the high contrast white sole. What do others think of the idea?

View attachment 1506877

View attachment 1506878

Veg Tan (stock shoe)
View attachment 1506876

For what it’s worth, the saddle tan wedge sole is not so much a white as it is a cream and it darkens a bit with wear.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, the saddle tan wedge sole is not so much a white as it is a cream and it darkens a bit with wear.
yes it does darken with wear, but a little scrubbing with some warm water and Dawn dish soap gets it back to new :)

I like the Saddle Tan Veg with "cream" colored sole but think the Crimson and Dune with darker soles would work better for my purposes and with my wardrobe.

And, I'll never really have to worry about cleaning a black or dark brown sole.

bigtimejackq

Reaction score

View attachment 1506877

View attachment 1506878

Veg Tan (stock shoe)
View attachment 1506876
I think it's a pretty cool idea, especially if you wear shoes like the AE Wilbert a lot (in your photo) and like that type of sole. I wear Wilberts a lot to work and casually but have also grown to really love the leather sole on the Grant Stone Plain Toe.

I'm on my 7th pair of Grant Stones and my first pair were the rubber soled Navy CXL Plain Toes. Since that time I've bought six other pairs all with the leather sole and I find I really like the leather sole. I had to wear a coat, tie and leather soled shoes everyday for the first 10-15 years of my career and I never envisioned going back to leather...but I love the GS leather sole.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think it's a pretty cool idea, especially if you wear shoes like the AE Wilbert a lot (in your photo) and like that type of sole. I wear Wilberts a lot to work and casually but have also grown to really love the leather sole on the Grant Stone Plain Toe.

I'm on my 7th pair of Grant Stones and my first pair were the rubber soled Navy CXL Plain Toes. Since that time I've bought six other pairs all with the leather sole and I find I really like the leather sole. I had to wear a coat, tie and leather soled shoes everyday for the first 10-15 years of my career and I never envisioned going back to leather...but I love the GS leather sole.

Same here, wore a suit most days in the 90s and then in again in about 2011-2014. These days, as I consider early-pre-retirement I no longer dress in a suit or sport jacket with tie. Business casual seems like it might be the most dressed up any of us will get at work after the pandemic since it will be a step up from the zoom "mullet" wardrobe of pajamas on bottom on dressed on top.

I have always lived and worked in urban areas so I do a great deal of walking epically a few miles a day and on the weekends it might be several. I too have found that leather soles are more comfortable than rubber ones like Dainite or Commando but the "blown rubber" such as the one used on the GS Saddle Veg Tan or the "Othello" on the AE Wilbert take it to a whole new level. That is why I am interested in converting the soles on the above mentioned PTBs even though I know it will make them even more casual. I see these as mostly weekend shoes to be used with jeans and occasionally paired with chinos for work.

bigtimejackq

Reaction score
Same here, wore a suit most days in the 90s and then in again in about 2011-2014. These days, as I consider early-pre-retirement I no longer dress in a suit or sport jacket with tie. Business casual seems like it might be the most dressed up any of us will get at work after the pandemic since it will be a step up from the zoom "mullet" wardrobe of pajamas on bottom on dressed on top.

I have always lived and worked in urban areas so I do a great deal of walking epically a few miles a day and on the weekends it might be several. I too have found that leather soles are more comfortable than rubber ones like Dainite or Commando but the "blown rubber" such as the one used on the GS Saddle Veg Tan or the "Othello" on the AE Wilbert take it to a whole new level. That is why I am interested in converting the soles on the above mentioned PTBs even though I know it will make them even more casual. I see these as mostly weekend shoes to be used with jeans and occasionally paired with chinos for work.

Love it. You can't get a finer looking upper. If you go ahead and have a great cobbler do this I'd love if you post pictures when they come back! Maybe a trend setter.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Love it. You can't get a finer looking upper. If you go ahead and have a great cobbler do this I'd love if you post pictures when they come back! Maybe a trend setter.

Wyatt and Josh of @GrantStone answered all of my questions to ensure it could be done and even offered to speak with the cobbler if needed. If I move forward, it may take several weeks to get them done.

This AE build is a bit more "out there" but is the inspiration that made me think about having both the Dune and Crimson PTB soles converted to something more fun, casual, and comfortable. The Cristy 4014 sole on these AEs only comes in natural or black and I really wanted black for Crimson and dark brown for Dune which are both available in the same model sole GS uses on the Saddle Veg Tan shoe.

IMG_0863_1024x1024@2x.jpg

In some respects, the GS Saddle Veg Tan is the ultimate inspiration because I am basically having the same shoe built with a different color of the same Vibram sole.

GRANT2SIDE8_1512x.jpg

BrandonF

Reaction score
Wyatt and Josh of @GrantStone answered all of my questions to ensure it could be done and even offered to speak with the cobbler if needed. If I move forward, it may take several weeks to get them done.

This AE build is a bit more "out there" but is the inspiration that made me think about having both the Dune and Crimson PTB soles converted to something more fun, casual, and comfortable. The Cristy 4014 sole on these AEs only comes in natural or black and I really wanted black for Crimson and dark brown for Dune which are both available in the same model sole GS uses on the Saddle Veg Tan shoe.

IMG_0863_1024x1024@2x.jpg

In some respects, the GS Saddle Veg Tan is the ultimate inspiration because I am basically having the same shoe built with a different color of the same Vibram sole.

GRANT2SIDE8_1512x.jpg

If you’re wanting to dye the welt darker on the crimson, what about the dark walnut instead?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads