• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@GrantStone , have u ever considered doing colour 8 CXL ?
And maybe some other leathers form is Horween ... like reverse chamois or Essex

I’d love to see reverse chamois, Essex, and Dublin. Probably more. Color 8 Dublin is beautiful along with CXL.
More CF Stead options would also be cool. Rambler is an interesting leather. Reverse waxed mohawk looks great.
But I’m not sure what is available to Grant Stone at a price that makes sense for both them and the tanneries they work with along with or what actually sells.

@GrantStone already have both CXL and Calfskin PTBs and Derbies, so I would like to see something other than the Dirty Buck in a suede PTB. Since they already have a dark brown suede LWB on leather, and the Dirty Buck suede on red gumlite, how about a snuff suede PTB on commando or the GS dainite-like sole?

Maybe something like this but a bit lighter and more "snuff" suede...
(and yes, I know the picture is a derbie and not PTB but 99% of people do not know the difference anyway)
CarminaShoemakerRepelloMaraca-02.jpg

Last edited:

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
British tan cap toe boots today.

I’d love to see reverse chamois, Essex, and Dublin. Probably more. Color 8 Dublin is beautiful along with CXL.

More CF Stead options would also be cool. Rambler is an interesting leather. Reverse waxed mohawk looks great.

But I’m not sure what is available to Grant Stone at a price that makes sense for both them and the tanneries they work with along with or what actually sells.

View attachment 1506386 View attachment 1506385 View attachment 1506388 View attachment 1506387

Those British tan cap toes are among my favorite GS.

You are really talking about Parkhurst with many of those interesting leathers in a similar price range to GS. Albeit a different style of boot, but equally awesome IMO (sorry if that is blasphemous here). We all have a our faves - I'd love to see a black suede or reverse chamois LWB with natural edge. Brick & Mortar has an Alden in that makeup that is to die for. I predict we will see some great makeups in the near future from GS.

The natural Essex from Viberg, which is a Horween leather, sure looks similar to the Saddle Tan Veg imo.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those British tan cap toes are among my favorite GS.

You are really talking about Parkhurst with many of those interesting leathers in a similar price range to GS. Albeit a different style of boot, but equally awesome IMO (sorry if that is blasphemous here). We all have a our faves - I'd love to see a black suede or reverse chamois LWB with natural edge. Brick & Mortar has an Alden in that makeup that is to die for. I predict we will see some great makeups in the near future from GS.

The natural Essex from Viberg, which is a Horween leather, sure looks similar to the Saddle Tan Veg imo.
I have been looking at Parkhurst and Truman lately, but I trust Grant Stone's quality more than anyone in this price range and also more than some of the more expensive brands. The raiz reverse waxed mohawk cap toe boots are definitely on my radar. Looks like a great makeup overall. The dark chocolate kudu is nice. I love the PCT style, but I also don't love the stitching only being on one side of the eyelets on that makeup. Grant Stone, however limited their options may be, seems to always do things just right.

Actually ended up ordering squirrel rambler boots for both me and the SO. She's getting the women's version. Hope it turns out well. I don't love Truman's 79 last as much as the Leo, but the at least toe isn't overly bulbous and isn't turned up. Could be a nice change of pace. Too bad Grant Stone doesn't offer either a women's line or a 5.5D men's boot. Maybe someday.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Color 8 shell cap toe boot is my dream GS makeup. Antiqued, flat welt and 8 brass eyelets.
I decided I wouldn't put down ~$850 again for color 8 shell from Alden. I would 100% buy this makeup from Grant Stone if it ever existed. Either flat welt or storm/reverse split works for me.

Turns31

Reaction score
I decided I wouldn't put down ~$850 again for color 8 shell from Alden. I would 100% buy this makeup from Grant Stone if it ever existed. Either flat welt or storm/reverse split works for me.
I don't love Aldens extra finishing on color 8. Looks painted on to me. IMO untouched color 8 is about as good as it gets. Especially with a contrasting sole.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201128-154102.png
    Screenshot_20201128-154102.png
    423.8 KB · Views: 111

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@GrantStone already have both CXL and Calfskin PTBs and Derbies, so I would like to see something other than the Dirty Buck in a suede PTB. Since they already have a dark brown LWB on leather, and the Dirty Buck on red gumlite, how about a snuff suede PTB on commando or the GS dainite-like sole?

Maybe something like this but a bit lighter and more "snuff" suede...
(and yes, I know the picture is a derbie and not PTB but 99% of people do not know the difference anyway)
View attachment 1506433
This is my ideal derby lol

Virtus

Reaction score
Does anyone have comparison pic of color 8 vs GS Crimson? I thought they were very similar.

Obviously shell vs CXL is a huge difference...

Turns31

Reaction score
Does anyone have comparison pic of color 8 vs GS Crimson? I thought they were very similar.

They're not close to my eyes. Here's new crimson compared to new color 8.

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_074346.jpg
    IMG_20200812_074346.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20191127_144932.jpg
    IMG_20191127_144932.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 115

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
British tan cap toe boots today.

View attachment 1506386 View attachment 1506385 View attachment 1506388 View attachment 1506387
I mean if people like CXL shoes, @GrantStone can always experiment with a limited release of it’s steroid brother, Chromepak lol

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

Color 8 can look quite different on shell vs. chromexcel vs. Dublin for example. Color 8 CXL is more burgundy hued than GS crimson. Quite a difference to my eyes.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Color 8 can look quite different on shell vs. chromexcel vs. Dublin for example. Color 8 CXL is more burgundy hued than GS crimson. Quite a difference to my eyes.
Color 8 is an odd color, can look almost black in shell, and red in direct sunlight. And it is much, much more burgundy than GS crimson, but comparing color 8 shell to crimson cxl. So not a fair comparison.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Left is a color 8 CXL Viberg. Sorry it attached them in the wrong order.

That Color 8 Viberg is definitely high on my list. Almost did the Brooklyn Clothing one on sale, but just snagged an unworn pair in Midnight Reverse Kudu when my size popped up on Grailed the other day. That said, I would love to see some GS in color 8!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads