• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own 4 suits and 1 tux. Two suits are from Black Lapel (online MTM) and actually turned out quite well (but the fabric quality is just ok). Two other suits are older, maybe DKNY and Calvin Klein(?) from Marshalls, heavily altered after purchasing but iffy fit (used them back when interviewing for residencies).

Tux is Indochino (online MTM) that fit great after one remake.

I have very few occasions for which to wear any of them anymore (weddings, mostly).
Understand. I have a closet full of custom made suits, do I wear them any more? NOPE, but they are there in case I need one. I KNOW they fit, look good and are all good fabric ( I picked it out), but with being retired, COVID and all, I may never get to wear them again.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smart casual = bourbon suede loafer. There simply is no other choice. Calfskin is too formal and CXL is too informal. A bourbon suede loafer will look good with a jacket and chinos/jeans or shorts and a t-shirt.

As to your Meermin "softcalf", it is probably closer to suede than regular calfskin on the formality scale because it is unstructured. And, unless you are full bore WASP, I am not sure anyone can pull off tobacco calfskin loafers (or Alden Color 8 LHS) with shorts and no socks. No offense intended.

Somebody needs to finally kill the myth that suede gets ruined in rain. It's not the rain that ruins suede but all the crap on the street that gets splashed back up onto your shoes (i.e. dirt, oil, sewer water, urine, vomit). Treat your suede and wear the heck out of it. At the end of the day it is just a shoe, it's not something precious which cannot be replaced if they really get ruined.
Bourbon for the win!!!! Suede is a robust footwear material. I have worn suede in rain/snow/slush/sleet and it is perhaps better than calf in all those conditions. Don't fear the suede and weather, embrace it and proceed!

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am just curious if the bourbon is more dark in person than on the website. If so, unsure. I do have a suede derby to wear, or a double monk, but think a loafer would work better in the spring summer season. Definitely agree CXL is more casual, maybe for my inevitable next one? ?

You are killing me.

A color you see on a website will NEVER match what you see in real life. You monitor is RGB and has limited colors so it will never match the actual object. Heck, the color you see on your monitor is not even the same I see on my monitor and we are looking at the same damn bourbon suede loafer. Trust me, my undergraduate degree is in Fine Arts so I studied color theory.

And, each batch of suede/leather will be different because the tannery uses new hides which will take color differently and it is almost impossible to cure it and then tan it using the exact same formula as the last batch. That is the beauty of natural/organic materials, the variance is what makes them great.

Stop asking others what YOU should do. Stop having decision paralysis. You have probably spent more time considering a $300 shoe purchase than you did with a more important decision you made lately that had a more important and meaningful purpose. Suck It Up, make a decision, and order the shoes. And don't forget to post a pick when you get them.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are killing me.

A color you see on a website will NEVER match what you see in real life. You monitor is RGB and has limited colors so it will never match the actual object. Heck, the color you see on your monitor is not even the same I see on my monitor and we are looking at the same damn bourbon suede loafer. Trust me, my undergraduate degree is in Fine Arts so I studied color theory.

And, each batch of suede/leather will be different because the tannery uses new hides which will take color differently and it is almost impossible to cure it and then tan it using the exact same formula as the last batch. That is the beauty of natural/organic materials, the variance is what makes them great.

Stop asking others what YOU should do. Stop having decision paralysis. You have probably spent more time considering a $300 shoe purchase than you did with a more important decision you made lately that had a more important and meaningful purpose. Suck It Up, make a decision, and order the shoes. And don't forget to post a pick when you get them.
As for the color and computer monitors, you are 100% correct, they will NOT look like the photos on the web site IRL, but will be close......I agree, don't base decision on what others think, make a decision on what you like, others be damned.

dah8

Reaction score
Mine was darker than I expected. Not too dark. It's Chocolately to my eyes. Your eyes might interpret them differently. It's a versatile color to me.

To put it simply. It's a shade of mid tone brown.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smart casual = bourbon suede loafer. There simply is no other choice. Calfskin is too formal and CXL is too informal. A bourbon suede loafer will look good with a jacket and chinos/jeans or shorts and a t-shirt.

As to your Meermin "softcalf", it is probably closer to suede than regular calfskin on the formality scale because it is unstructured. And, unless you are full bore WASP, I am not sure anyone can pull off tobacco calfskin loafers (or Alden Color 8 LHS) with shorts and no socks. No offense intended.

Somebody needs to finally kill the myth that suede gets ruined in rain. It's not the rain that ruins suede but all the crap on the street that gets splashed back up onto your shoes (i.e. dirt, oil, sewer water, urine, vomit). Treat your suede and wear the heck out of it. At the end of the day it is just a shoe, it's not something precious which cannot be replaced if they really get ruined.
Bourbon for the win!!!! Suede is a robust footwear material. I have worn suede in rain/snow/slush/sleet and it is perhaps better than calf in all those conditions. Don't fear the suede and weather, embrace it and proceed!
Think I may have to go Bourbon ?
As for suede, I definitely protect it with a Saphir Waterproof Spray (not invulner as I can’t seem to get it for a good price in Canada). It’s just my anxiety that gets the best of me when choosing my shoes in weather even though I know they are just shoes at the end of the day. I know no matter what shoe I do choose, it will be great, because it is Grant Stone and pictures will be taken ?

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Mine was darker than I expected. Not too dark. It's Chocolately to my eyes. Your eyes might interpret them differently. It's a versatile color to me.

To put it simply. It's a shade of mid tone brown.

Is the color most like "Dark" chocolate, "Bittersweet" chocolate, "Semisweet" chocolate, or "Milk" chocolate?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics