• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
"the only way to really know is to try it on" Truer words have never been spoken.

Through research and experience, I have learned that material does inform how a show will fit with:
- calf being the standard by which all others are measured and compared too
- shell not stretching (as much or at all) gets lasted in a way that is fuller immediately but never really gives
- suede often feels tighter initially and gives almost as much as calf

And, I think sometimes we all forget that (all) shoes are (mostly) handmade from (mostly) organic materials and thus two shoes made from the same type and batch of leather, on the same last, in the same size, by the same person, and on the same day may fit differently even if only by a small margin. These are not widgets being mass produced in ISO 9001 environments by robots using robust production methodologies (i.e. Toyota Production System, Lean Six Sigma) so there will be variances.

Live, learn, and try them on is my takeaway.
Completely agree.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Travelers today for North Carolina Second Summer
CnGN4hP.jpg

StncKqz.jpg

We had warm weather earlier this week but man, it was chilly here today (in Flat Rock about halfway between Asheville and SC). Still wore my travelers today, but it’s dropping to 34 tonight.

Still better than MN, where I used to hail from. It’s been snowing like crazy there.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"the only way to really know is to try it on" Truer words have never been spoken.

Through research and experience, I have learned that material does inform how a show will fit with:
- calf being the standard by which all others are measured and compared too
- shell not stretching (as much or at all) gets lasted in a way that is fuller immediately but never really gives
- suede often feels tighter initially and gives almost as much as calf

And, I think sometimes we all forget that (all) shoes are (mostly) handmade from (mostly) organic materials and thus two shoes made from the same type and batch of leather, on the same last, in the same size, by the same person, and on the same day may fit differently even if only by a small margin. These are not widgets being mass produced in ISO 9001 environments by robots using robust production methodologies (i.e. Toyota Production System, Lean Six Sigma) so there will be variances.

Live, learn, and try them on is my takeaway.
You're a wise man. I couldn't have said it better, other than I'd add only this slight edit that I think you'll agree with: " These are not widgets being mass produced in ISO 9001 environments by robots using robust production methodologies (i.e. Toyota Production System, Lean Six Sigma) so there will be variances. These variances should be celebrated - they're a sign of their hand-made origin."

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had warm weather earlier this week but man, it was chilly here today (in Flat Rock about halfway between Asheville and SC). Still wore my travelers today, but it’s dropping to 34 tonight.

Still better than MN, where I used to hail from. It’s been snowing like crazy there.
I know Flat Rock well - my dad currently lives about 25 min. from there - beautiful area! You're definitely in the most 4-season zone of the state :)

Honestly, I'm looking forward to Boot Weather, but you don't have to worry about MN-like weather.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much. This helps a lot. They're actually much much closer than I expected though I am sure it can depend somewhat on the batch of leather.

Considering whether to go with the pebble grain, dune cxl, or black cxl Ottawa.

Just a comment on the British tan LWBs I posted next to the pebble boots. Those have a LOT of miles on them and boy does that leather hold up well. They are from December 2016 so not sure if color has changed much on current production.
It's hard to tell without comparing in person, but they look like they'd be about the same. My british tan pairs are from this year.

Last edited:

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have an oddball pair, but the color of the current pebble grain Ottawa run seems quite different from the original. No complaints from me - I like both colors. I only bought the current pair b/c of the difference. (I somehow remembered the originals being called "crimson", which is wrong. They too were called "cognac".)

Originals
20190330_184911.jpg

Current batch
20201029_121749.jpg

I'll post a side-by-side shot when I get a chance.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have an oddball pair, but the color of the current pebble grain Ottawa run seems quite different from the original. No complaints from me - I like both colors. I only bought the current pair b/c of the difference. (I somehow remembered the originals being called "crimson", which is wrong. They too were called "cognac".)

Originals
View attachment 1488333

Current batch
View attachment 1488334

I'll post a side-by-side shot when I get a chance.
Yeah they're definitely a different color.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sure different colors, I had a pair of the OG ones (sold due to wrong size) and they are/were definitely much darker, more brown than the current offering. Both are nice looking however.
I prefer the OG color, almost bought yours, but wrong size for me too.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer the OG color, almost bought yours, but wrong size for me too.
The OG color did show scuffs/scratches a lot, the underlying much lighter brown color would show through. On a boot, not a big deal (it's patina) so it never bothered me, but it did almost seem like the current color was hand dyed to achieve the darker OG color. I have no evidence of this being true, but just seemed that way.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are Grant Stone Black Friday sales usually like? I'm eyeing a few pairs but not sure if I should wait until the end of the month.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely be interested in some pebble grain Ottawa’s in EEE. I’d really like some dark green suede Ottawa’s. Love my navy pair.

BrandonF

Reaction score
I would definitely be interested in some pebble grain Ottawa’s in EEE. I’d really like some dark green suede Ottawa’s. Love my navy pair.

I didn’t like Ottawa’s when I first saw them, but now I think they’re the style I’m most envious of. Only have one pair so far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads