• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smeagol-my-precious.jpg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have both British tan and cognac pebble grain from Grant Stone? They're very different leathers, of course, but I wanted to see how the color compares between the two. Thank you.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have both British tan and cognac pebble grain from Grant Stone? They're very different leathers, of course, but I wanted to see how the color compares between the two. Thank you.
I had both, but I sold my cognac pebble grains. Never took a photo with them together.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can speak to the heel size/shape on the Leo last, specifically on the PTBs and LWBs.
(maybe @GrantStone)

The reason I ask is that I have a wider forefoot to heel width ratio than "average" for my size 10D foot (aka wide ball area and narrow heel) and apparently low volume. I have tried almost every AE last in several sizes and just cant seem to get fit because AE tends to keep the heel wider on all lasts, when compared to other makers, to fit more people but it does not work for me (except for 10D on 511 last and 9.5E on 65 last which are fine but not great). On Carmina's widest last (Detroit) I have a suede 531 PTB (10D-US/9D-UK) which works very well for me. On Alden, I have 2 Copley lasted loafers (9.5D sized down to avoid heel slip) that have heels narrow enough for me as well as 2 cap toe bluchers (10D) that both fit and work well.

As I move my life and clothing towards more casual, I am looking to purchase a few PTBs (and maybe LWBs) and thought Grant Stone might be a good choice assuming the Leo last works well for me. Based on what I have read here and their website recommendation, I get the sense a 9.5D in "Leo/Grant Stone" size will work for the front of my foot but I am not sure about the heel. I have not been able to find much information about how the heel fits on the Leo last.

Any first hand experience anyone is willing to share?
Is anybody able to compare how the Leo heel fits compared to an Alden last (Copley, Barrie, etc.)?

Last edited:

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can speak to the heel size/shape on the Leo last, specifically on the PTBs and LWBs.
(maybe @GrantStone)

The reason I ask is that I have a wider forefoot to heel width ratio than "average" for my size 10D foot (aka wide ball area and narrow heel) and apparently low volume. I have tried almost every AE last in several sizes and just cant seem to get fit because AE tends to keep the heel wider on all lasts, when compared to other makers, to fit more people but it does not work for me (except for 10D on 511 last and 9.5E on 65 last which are fine but not great). On Carmina's widest last (Detroit) I have a suede 531 PTB (10D-US/9D-UK) which works very well for me. On Alden, I have 2 Copley lasted loafers (9.5D sized down to avoid heel slip) that have heels narrow enough for me as well as 2 cap toe bluchers (10D) that both fit and work well.

As I move my life and clothing towards more casual, I am looking to purchase a few PTBs (and maybe LWBs) and thought Grant Stone might be a good choice assuming the Leo last works well for me. Based on what I have read here and their website recommendation, I get the sense a 9.5D in "Leo/Grant Stone" size will work for the front of my foot but I am not sure about the heel. I have not been able to find much information about how the heel fits on the Leo last.

Is anybody able to compare how the Leo heel fits compared to an Alden last (Copley, Barrie, etc.)?
I find the Leo heel to fit snug, in a good way.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am going to edit my seconding of @up1911fan's comment. The first pair of GS I got, I was surprised how, when putting my feet in the boots, the heel almost made a whooshing sound as it seated in the heel cup. Great feeling and every pair of GS I have had since has done the same thing. Just fits my heels, snug, but not tight.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have low volume, low instep, skinny ankles, etc. I'd say my heel probably on the narrower side considering my 9.5D brannock size? Overall I'd say the Leo heel is comfortable and fits well but isn't super snug with the thin socks I wear with my LWB. With my Grant Stone boots + cushioned boot socks the fit is great. I'm not sure if you've ever tried Alden's Trubalance last. That is the main one I find quite loose fitting. Not in a way that my heel is sliding up and down with the laces tightened, but the amount of space for side to side movement is noteworthy.

I'm not sure if that helps at all. I feel like sock choice can make a big difference if you feel your feet aren't filling out the footwear well enough. I am a big fan of Darn Tough cushioned boot socks. I've tried the full cushion boot socks too, but I don't like the feeling they give on top of my feet.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score

I am going to edit my seconding of @up1911fan's comment. The first pair of GS I got, I was surprised how, when putting my feet in the boots, the heel almost made a whooshing sound as it seated in the heel cup. Great feeling and every pair of GS I have had since has done the same thing. Just fits my heels, snug, but not tight.

I am going to offer a different opinion so OP can get both perspective.

Boots: Great snug heel that is then wrapped snugly throughout ankle.

Shoes: Experienced 2 shoes with loose heels with shallow heel cup. Thus not a great heel grip.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am going to offer a different opinion so OP can get both perspective.

Boots: Great snug heel that is then wrapped snugly throughout ankle.

Shoes: Experienced 2 shoes with loose heels with shallow heel cup. Thus not a great heel grip.
Fair enough, I have had just the opposite with the shoes, good heel cup fit (with dress socks). But since everyones feet are different............. In fact, the dress shoes fit so well, they have replace AE PA/5th ave in my rotation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads