• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bumped the toe of the honey shell loafer pretty badly, what should I do with the scratches?
Those don't look super-deep.

I'd start with brushing it for a while and see how it goes - 5-10 minutes will probably give you more recovery than you can believe. Do get some pace and a bit of depth on your stroke - just make sure you don't strike the shoe with the brush handle like I have a few times. :)

If there is still some showing, I'd rub the spot with your finger for ten seconds or so and brush some more.

See how it looks and report back. What you're trying to avoid is a dark spot caused by product being where there was nothing before. No biggie for the sides for example, but personally I take a 'first of all, do no harm' approach and start very gentle and work up from there.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard the back of a spoon works too (with VSC), but haven’t tried it.
As @audog said, it does work. Getting the TWSS out of the way, I haven't fully mastered the bone yet (or the spoon), and it would be one of the last things I tried.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@manasdirge As an example (apologies for the non-Grant Stone pix), I spent a bit of time on these a while back when they got some...patina... walking around old stone churches:

Starting point:
PhfIFaw.jpg

Finished like this:
fxg8Npq.jpg

Those lighter areas on the heel cup are reflected lights, not the scuffs. You can still see where they were if you're up close, but only I ever get that close. ;)

Virtus

Reaction score

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Man those are beautiful!

This may be a dumb question but as someone new to this whole scene what is special about shell cordovan?

Many people like it for its smooth, consistent color and texture qualities, dense grain and durability that tends to roll and not crease or wrinkle. It can be brought to a nice shine after many years of wear. It is costly because only a small amount comes from an individual horse. I personally tend to find it a little "plasticy" looking and it has so far not really caught on with me. But that could change, and I'd like to own some when the makeup is just right. I own enough natural tone boots that these are not going to be my thing, but they sure look nice.

postjack

Reaction score
I've been hoping for a Honey Traveler.

same thing happened to me when i got the email this morning. :)

i'll probably hop on a traveller cordovan restock in either honey or maduro when/if it happens. never owned a cordovan shoe and i'd like me first to be a loafer.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We have an early start to the Black Friday season with a Final Sale & B-Grade update.
Use the code finalsale2020 at checkout for 10% off these items.

There are quite a few updates in the Final Sale collection. In an effort to avoid a rush towards these few items, we are just posting this on SF and the BGrade list for the weekend.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have an early start to the Black Friday season with a Final Sale & B-Grade update.
Use the code finalsale2020 at checkout for 10% off these items.

There are quite a few updates in the Final Sale collection. In an effort to avoid a rush towards these few items, we are just posting this on SF and the BGrade list for the weekend.
Absolutely nothing in 9D. I am safe from temptation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads