• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New to Grant stone boots and I have been absolutely loving my black chromexcel diesel boots. I was wondering does Grant stones black chromexcel wear in to show brown undertones underneath similar to a tea core leather?
See my black cxl Ottawa posted earlier today. Some brown showing up in higher "wear" area's, but not much. They are still pretty black and have LOTS of miles on them.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
This is only after a day and half.

Really nice, that should develop some great patterns. The CFS waxy commander is a great, fun leather. I have it on my Taft Dragon originals in London Fog. It takes a beating (and looks like it, lol) and shows great character. Waiting on EEE...

IMG_0329.jpeg

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate when Canada Post processes my packages at my local facility early AM, but then doesn't put it out for delivery until the next day sometimes. I just want my boots and they always do this when I am waiting for a package I want more than others lol

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty tough to compare these two because they are on opposite sides of the spectrum. CXL is tanned using animal hides that are almost 40SF while these Italian calf are closer to 12SF. It's roughly half the thickness as well.
The CXL has a casual look because it scuffs and patinas easily and shows extreme highs and lows from all of the wax and oils.

Wear - CXL has a soft, elastic feeling from the looser fiber structure. The break can be good or have heavy, pronounced creasing. The upside is, the article is so soft and has the touted hot-stuffed tannage so there is a lot to look at and it's resilient given the nature of the animal.
The Italian calf has a tight grain but has more give than our French Calf. It's also vegetable-tanned and has a lot of wax so the finish has a nice sheen to it out of the box. Due to the lighter weight, it doesn't feel as 'boardy' as some other calf.

Patina - In my experience, it patinas better than any other calf we've used. This article has a downside for makers/factories. It's very transparent. You can see growth marks on the base of the leather that would usually not be visible. Most chrome tannages on better grade calf tend to cover most of the minor lines on the hide whereas this article shows a lot of this. The tannery deals with this feedback on a regular basis because it's a pain to cut. All of that being said, the transparency makes for beautiful leather. It has a natural depth that reminds me of shell, the exact opposite of a corrected leather. Some don't like any natural marks like this, just a personal preference. Here is a photo of the tobacco tassel in direct sunlight in an effort to highlight some of these marks. Of course in real-life situations, they won't be this blatant.
View attachment 1467909
Water resistance - I would think CXL would perform better here if really put to the test as the tannery considers CXL as water resistant and some versions waterproof. That being said, a waterproof upper on a GYW shoe won't do much anyway because the water will come right through the upper stitching and welt inseam. This Italian calf will do just fine though on your average rainy days. As with any leather and especially veg-tanned, we would suggest letting them dry naturally and avoid heat.

Hope this helps!

Always love it when you are able to nerd out and share these kind of details!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting difference. Everyone is different.

As for forcibly flexing I do the same now. Initially I was worried about wrecking my shoes, but it hasn't happened yet. Helps a lot with break in. I do that for the soles as well as heel counters. The Fairfield is the only pair I have where the heel counters have still felt a bit annoying after several wears, but they seem to be getting better. I know eventually it'll get to where my other Grant Stone shoes are with comfort.

Yes, I agree.

I was a bit skittish and then I decided to really lay into them :) I hear some stuff creaking and I could feel the shank. I honestly have no idea how GS gets leather that stiff.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered a few Grant Stone loafers as a fit trial.. Or maybe to keep. Is it bad that I'm hoping they don't fit? If they do I'll end up with a few suede Travelers and a pair of tassels sooner or later.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I agree.

I was a bit skittish and then I decided to really lay into them :) I hear some stuff creaking and I could feel the shank. I honestly have no idea how GS gets leather that stiff.
"how GS gets leather that stiff." Tough Cows who work out and are sturdy, not those namby-pamby cows on the milk commercials on TV.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome. I'd purchase those within seconds of being posted on the site. Any updates on the loden Edwards?
The Loden suede pre order should be in at the end of this month. We will be sending an update by email shortly!

New to Grant stone boots and I have been absolutely loving my black chromexcel diesel boots. I was wondering does Grant stones black chromexcel wear in to show brown undertones underneath similar to a tea core leather?

Welcome! If you wear through the grain on this Black CXL, it will have a tan base. However, that would have to be some very heavy wear and it's not common, unlike a teacore leather which fades much quicker and more evenly.

Any plans for EEE in this leather?

We will be getting into EEE next year in at least one of the waxy commander leathers, although nothing is finalized just yet.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So got my first pair of Grant Stone boots in today, a Diesel in Crimson CXL in a 9.5E as Josh recommended to me. It honestly fits me great, the width is perfect and length is great with a cushion DT sock. No spots that feel too tight or anything. If this is what a nice GYW shoes feels and looks like, I am astonished. Definitely a big step up compared to my JDS I got back in January.
This was a great experience and CS was great. I look forward to wearing these boots this FW season and many years in the future. Already planning for my pair of loafers in the Spring next year! (P.S. and if you come out with a Bourbon Suede Chelsea, that'll be on next years purchase list too @GrantStone ?)

The best of all, it came with no duty with Canada Post! Unsure how that slipped through lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads