• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
to emphasize my point, I've been wearing the same pair of boots for most of the afternoon, and I just realized I'm still wearing boots, it's after 10pm and I didn't know I had footwear on my feet, same feeling as being without shoes/boots. That is the goal....footwear that feels like you are barefoot.

kono144

Reaction score
I agree with the others. I tried different sizes of GS boots. Once I figured out my size, I can wear a brand new pair with zero discomfort for an entire day. Comfortable straight out of the box.

BrandonF

Reaction score
I agree with the others. I tried different sizes of GS boots. Once I figured out my size, I can wear a brand new pair with zero discomfort for an entire day. Comfortable straight out of the box.

When I got my Crimson Diesels, I went on a 3 mile hike the same afternoon. No issues. Obviously they are MORE comfortable now, but they were never uncomfortable. They felt like an extension of my feet right away.

The only GS shows that haven’t been comfortable right away are the travelers. And probably because the sizing isn’t perfect, but the closest I can get.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
I only have 3 pairs of GS boots. I have found them all quite comfortable out of the box as well. I've experienced no serious foot discomfort but I do find they get more comfortable the more I wear them. Is that considered "breaking in" or am I mistaken?

Last edited:

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My feeling is a little different. My Grant Stone boots are very comfortable out of the box because I always wear cushioned boot socks. My shoes are often very uncomfortable out of the box if I wear regular crew socks. Seems a lot better to wear them around the house for a few days, maybe even with my cushioned socks, before wearing them out.

This doesn't only apply to Grant Stone shoes me. I've had the same experience with Alden shoes. And were I to wear uncushioned crew socks I imagine I'd have some of these same issues with Grant Stone boots.

As far as break in I'd say Allen Edmonds shoes have been far more forgiving than Alden and Grant Stone. They're practically weightless in comparison so that may be part of it. My Rancourt loafers I would say the same for, but they are also very light and not GYW.

Honestly, to this day after several wears my Fairfields are still pretty hard on my heels. It's a little strange considering my GS LWB are even heavier and are perfectly comfortable with light crew socks. I believe my GS oxfords are also more comfortable. I can still make it through the day with the Fairfields, but they aren't to the point of being pure comfort yet.

I would much rather go through a break in process with my Grant Stone shoes than buy more AE even though the AE shoes are comfortable right out of the box.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy first day of Autumn everyone
DSC05212.jpeg

Turns31

Reaction score
Anyone have the any of the chocolate antique calf yet? Looking for some non-stock pictures to see how the color looks outside.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too am interested in non-stock pictures of chocolate calf as well as tobacco calf. Preferably well broken in which may take a while.

Also have my eye on the midnight suede, espresso suede, and tobacco calf Travelers, but I want to wait for my loden suede Traveler to come in and see how I feel about it before throwing down even more cash.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

Same here. I can happily do 8EEE or 8.5E in the Leo.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Anyone have the any of the chocolate antique calf yet? Looking for some non-stock pictures to see how the color looks outside.

This color intrigues me a bunch, but I just have no need for any of the offerings. Don't need another brown boot, don't need dress shoes right now (my zoom camera doesn't show my feet), and don't need another pair of loafers. I wish they had a PTB.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are my tobacco calfskin travelers for you guys interested in seeing non-stock picture. It’s from my iPhone.
Those are beautiful. Definitely post some more pics when they're more broken in if you can. Much appreciated.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are my tobacco calfskin travelers for you guys interested in seeing non-stock picture. It’s from my iPhone.

Look like a great colour for a traditional dressy brown penny loafer. Definitely a grab for anyone who dresses business casual. Although, think the CXL variants lean better towards those of us who dress casually 99% of the time

dsk321

Reaction score
Look like a great colour for a traditional dressy brown penny loafer. Definitely a grab for anyone who dresses business casual. Although, think the CXL variants lean better towards those of us who dress casually 99% of the time
I am as casual as it gets but I definitely enjoy calf with tshirt/denim, just because. Tobacco looks fantastic, just enough mahogany/red to make it interesting. I still don't have a plain medium/dark brown shoe, always gravitated towards oxbloods/chili or tans/naturals. This tone on a ptb or cap toe boot would be sick if they never do a merlot/burgundy tone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads